Well this is interesting

Indeed: look at the popularity of medical shows on television, or firefighting shows.

Admittedly, a lot of those feature interpersonal conflict within the teams, but how often is that resolved violently?

8 Likes
3 Likes

So I was watching ā€œThe Temptressā€ last night, and in the middle of it there were scenes of a dam being built. I thought to myself, I should be able to find out what that is. So I searched with ā€œthe Googleā€ for ā€œdam los angeles 1925.ā€ Sure enough, it was the construction of the St. Francis Dam.

It never looks that big in pictures, but when you see people building it you get a real sense of its scale. It was huge. Never underestimate the power of water.

11 Likes

Dam.

8 Likes

You said it.

4 Likes

Iā€™m old enough that I remember Letterman on morning television. I donā€™t remeber this, however.

6 Likes

Really cool.

4 Likes

i was floored, being raised christian, having read a bunch of the bible for confirmation in the church, that - not noticing until college, reading in a mythology class - there are two completely different creation stories. almost back to back.

i guess? people just get to choose whichever one suits the moment - like so many of the ā€œlessonsā€ from thar old book

8 Likes

My rabbi was mentored by the translator who had translated the version of the Torah used by the Reform Jewish movement. The way it works is that there were two myths going around. Rather than choose one version, the authors recorded both. There are several places in the Torah where this happens, like the two 10 commandments.

9 Likes

There was a quite long period when you couldnā€™t get an issue of Keyboard magazine without some mention of Ciani. She is/was very well-respected in the synth community.

9 Likes

I remember the issue with her on the cover. I have it in a box somewhere.

5 Likes

@PatRx2
@kxkvi

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/suzanne-ciani-new-live-recording-quadrophonic-vinyl/

5 Likes

So, getting back to the St. Francis Dam.

The fictional Argentinian dam featured in the Temptress is being engineered by the male lead, played by Antonio Moreno. At the end of the second act, the dam is dynamited by an oily villain with the curious name ā€œManos Duras,ā€ leading to a major flood.

All this is spooky because: a, the St. Francis Dam did fail a couple years later causing a major floor, and b, there was a lot of dynamiting going on around the LA waterworks at that time.

Make of it what you will.

6 Likes
9 Likes

HA! My boss, an Navy weapons guy from a US cruiser of the 80s, gets right indignant about the technology export restrictions being abandoned.

4 Likes

Nostalgia for Lost Futures

5 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

Obligatory:

1 Like

I went to Wrigley once. Did not know about the trough urinals until I stepped into the menā€™s room, but personally, I was like ā€œYESā€. Thereā€™s no waiting involved at all. The instant there is an open space, you get to peeā€“and unless itā€™s the 7th inning stretch or something, that time is basically the moment you set foot in the door.
One of the best dives in Knoxville, the Longbranch Saloon on the campus strip, had a similar philosophy. along one wall of the menā€™s room, there was a bathtub mounted at waist height. I always appreciated that.
As an Atlantan, I may end up going to Mercedes Benz stadium one of these days, but havenā€™t yet, so no comment there.

8 Likes