Well this is interesting

The best bathrooms in a sports facility were at Milwaukee County Stadium.

They were not luxurious. My memory of them is that they were grey and industrial. But they were huge. With plenty of air. They were two stories high with plenty of natural light streaming in.

Imagine any mid-century factory. Like that. Bare-bones but able to do its necessary function without a lot trouble.

The worst bathrooms I ever saw were at the King Dome. They were small windowless rooms with a trough against the wall. It was kind of like being in prison, but with more drunk people.

7 Likes

I saw a sink like that in a restaurant bathroom, and wondered how many guys used that by mistake.

10 Likes

Obligatory:

4 Likes

Canā€™t comment on the menā€™s room at MB stadium, but the ladies bathroom was nice. Itā€™s worth plopping down $20 or so per ticket to see ATL United sometime this seasonā€¦ although, bring a credit or debit card if you usually use cash, as they apparently are going all card or mobile payments now at the stadiumā€¦

4 Likes

My youngest is 17, and she just doesnā€™t understand the concept of carrying cash. The kids even pay each other back with Venmo, etc., so who needs it?

7 Likes

Yeah, kids todayā€¦ personally, Iā€™m not a fan of having to go with cards or digital, because I feel like itā€™s putting an extra corporation between me and whoever Iā€™m trying to pay. But clearly, thatā€™s the direction weā€™re heading in, eventually going cashless, I guess. Not too happy about that, but thatā€™s just me!

13 Likes

Of the 4 deaths in my life in the past few months, all have been cremated. My mother too has expressed that she would like to be cremated, which is remarkable because her father was a funeral director and the (small) townā€™s coroner.

7 Likes

I feel the same way.

9 Likes

There are only three places where I use cash anymoreā€¦ my dealer, for obvious reasons; my barber, who inexplicably only accepts cash, and is a bit of an inconvenience; and parking meters, and even they are accepting cc/debit or cellphone payment around here.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never understood the reason for public (or even private) viewing of the dead. I prefer to remember people (and pets) as they were in life.

We recently went to a memorial at the funeral home for a neighbor. It was open casket. I did not go to look.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Me too. I use cash as much as I can. It helps me stay on a budget.

I really want use Apple Pay, but Apple knows enough about my life already.

9 Likes

During peacetime, in a relatively non-volatile economy, with reliable electricity and Internet at all points of sale, in a case where all transactions will be reported on taxes anyhowā€¦ sure, right with her. The moment any of those things changes, not so much.

@dfaris, your barber may be fudging a bit on his taxes, not that I entirely blame him.

14 Likes

Well, that and credit card processing slices a couple of points off of every transaction. I can understand not wanting to lose 3 to 5 percent every time.

12 Likes

The one thing with cremation my sister has brought up, is that thereā€™s no grave to go and yell at.

Iā€™ve been to one funeral (maybe two) where the body was embalmed and open casket. Neither of these folks were close friends so I wasnā€™t particularly moved one way or another.

Cost wise, I honestly canā€™t be down with anything other than cremation, much less embalming.

7 Likes

You canā€™t bury a body on private property, but you can bury ashes, which means you can put up a grave marker and a bench, to make yourself comfortable when you go to cry/laugh/yell.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s not necessarily true. My father was cremated, and thereā€™s a little nook in a wall where his remains were laid to rest. If I wanted to go yell, I could easily do so. Well, less easily since I moved away from that area.

11 Likes

Homeless people, undocumented people, fugitives.

13 Likes

During my recent visit back to the states, I was hoping for a certain specific place to piss, but alas it was not to beā€¦

8 Likes

Book that is one step away from the Necronomicon

9 Likes