Well this is interesting

I have a conservative friend who fancies himself a historian. He got a BS in history. He then worked in government, having nothing to do with history. But with the internet he can cherry-pick data with the best of them. I had to start ignoring his emails when they got even more white-privileged than usual.
ETA: My point, which I forgot to add, was that thank goodness there are people like you setting the record straight.

8 Likes

I have to keep spreading the gospel of Amy X Neuburg, one of my favorite singers/musicians/composers. Hereā€™s how she does it.

2 Likes

Your accompanying comment was not so crystal clear on your intent here.

1 Like

I sort of have the impression that getting a degree in history was de rigueur for would be conservative politicians in the UK.

2 Likes

Considering how little respect people with advanced degrees in the humanities get, Iā€™m not sure how much good it does. But thanks! As I said, Iā€™m not on twitter or other social media platforms, but I suspect that people who correct historical inaccuracies, even people with advanced degrees, are seen as being little more than partisan hacksā€¦ and articles like the one in question from other academics (especially those who have ā€œmade itā€ by having one of the few tenure track jobs available in these fields) just illustrates that the criticism and lack of respect for what we do) isnā€™t solely coming from the outside. Itā€™s depressing, the whole thing, the constant attacks from the right wing and the lack of action on the part of our colleagues with secure positions in the academy.

7 Likes

Thankfully this guy isnā€™t a politician. But he votes, and emails a lot of his biased viewpoints around to a bunch of people. I used to be one of them because in between there were things we had in common. After all the voting sites were closed down south he said, ā€œif people canā€™t be bothered to travel to the nearest voting booth, perhaps they shouldnā€™t be allowed to vote.ā€ He had the same reaction to the college students who, upset at Dumpsterā€™s election, had a ā€œcry-in.ā€ He said, ā€œTheyā€™ve got to realize things arenā€™t always going to go their way. If they canā€™t understand that, perhaps they shouldnā€™t be allowed to vote.ā€

That was it. Iā€™d had enough.

8 Likes

What do you mean by ā€œevangelizeā€, anyhow? Spread the word far and wide to educate others? Or the Christian defintion (maybe not official, but the one I see them follow): Force people to listen to you and tell them they have to be saved from something, like inaccurate information, instead of God (hmmmā€¦evangelical teachers of secularismā€¦am I on to something here?) At any rate, I thought Twitter was for everyone to use for whatever reason, even those who obviously have no idea how to use it - like the POTUS?

3 Likes

In science land, this is called ā€œengaging with the publicā€.

5 Likes

Oh. I rarely see common Christian terms used in relation to science, sorry. Still donā€™t see the problem, though, with historians using Twitter, if theyā€™d like to. I suppose thatā€™s just liā€™l olā€™ myopic bent.

4 Likes

Itā€™s PPE, generally:

7 Likes

I love that thereā€™s a reclusive species of ā€œType Dā€ orcas that are (who are?) harassing the Chilean fishing fleet and stealing their catch. Although the poaching-no-recovery retaliation is probably going to be in the queue for ā€œnext horrible genocideā€ā€¦

7 Likes

Animation warning (the hands in the clock move fast, and thereā€™s a second animation later on.

8 Likes

Itā€™s definitely an idea whose time has gone. I know Iā€™m not looking forward to feeling like a zombie for the next 1-4 weeks (depends on the weather, my workload, and how much quiet time I can pull together).

5 Likes

Yes, please.

3 Likes

Indeed. Iā€™ve always been a night person, so the ā€œspring aheadā€ always made me feel even more slothful compared to the bright-eyed morning people (back when even I believed it was a moral failing).

6 Likes

So why have I never seen this before?

It sounds like Adam West was paid in Thunderbird Wine.

14 Likes

Note that the push is to make daylight ā€œsavingsā€ time last year-round rather than to get rid of it.

6 Likes

Which is kind of stupid. As the article notes, itā€™s functionally identical to moving one time zone east. Why would you choose to be in one time zone if youā€™re going to adopt the time as the next zone over?

If thatā€™s what you want to do, just change zones.

5 Likes

Just a heads up it starts autoplaying a video.

2 Likes

I suppose the logic is that since Dubya made it eight months of the year, may as well stick with it. So long as I can slip the virtual jet lag, I donā€™t care much.

3 Likes