Well this is interesting

I’m fine with what ever change they want as long as everyone can do it all at once.

I do not want to keep patching operating systems and kludging together options for those legacy Microsoft Systems we haven’t been able to get rid of.

There was a change from a few years back that affected Moscow(?) and the one facility there and was a standalone patch and was just a bother.

6 Likes

Yes, I would rather get rid of daylight savings time than enshrine it permanently. It’s the naturalist in me.

Noon should the sun’s highest point.

8 Likes

Eh. That’s more-or-less impossible to maintain as a standard; even if you define the edges of a time zone as strictly following the longitude lines every 15 degrees, the eastern edge of the time zone will have the sun highest at 12:30 p.m., and the western edge at 11:30.

And time zones can be much larger; EST (which should encompass an area including 75°W longitude and 7.5° on either side) stretches from the westernmost point of Ontario on its border with Manitoba (95°09’11"W) to the easternmost point of Nunavut (~60°W). That’s over two hours from when the sun is highest at the easternmost point of EST to when it’s highest at the westernmost point. Other time zones have similar extremes.

At this point, I’d be happy with just “the time of the sun’s highest point is consistent from day to day.”

5 Likes

Another time zone extreme: GMT-3 stretches from the easternmost point of Greenland (11°19’W) to the westernmost point in mainland Chile (75°38′57.5″W). That’s well over four hours’s difference from when the sun passes “over” one edge to the other.

(And today I leaned that I’m almost due north of the westernmost part of mainland Chile).

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s reasonable either since it varies throughout the year with the angle of the earth to the sun. More importantly, it just doesn’t matter. Either you care about the position of the sun (ex: if you need sunlight to see what you’re doing while gardening) or you care about the time on the clock (ex: if you’re coordinating a meeting). On rare occasions, like coordinating an outdoor activity, both may matter, but don’t need precision. Just schedule your group stargazing at night and your group sunbathing during the day. It’s extremely rare for both to matter at once and need precision.

6 Likes

Okay, fine.

At this point, I’d be happy with just “sunrise doesn’t jump by an hour from one day to the next in March and October.”

7 Likes

I think now the Chamber of Commerce will have to fight to keep the change as it is just to cement themselves more visibly back into the role of Prosthetic Republican Dicks.

Er. Dildos. I meant dildos.

4 Likes

I think my Daylight Saving ahead-springs are suffering metal fatigue.

Got up bright & early at 8:00 am (7:00 my time), but then fell asleep from 11:00-12:30. Noon is not a good time for a nap.

8 Likes

NOOM IS TEH BSTX TIMF KJ Lxjkzzzzzz

10 Likes

That’s Dick “Hymie the Robot” Gautier.

4 Likes

No, that’s definitely West.

1 Like

It’s a good impression but it doesn’t sound exactly like him to me.

Here’s a source:

Filling in for West on the PSA was Dick Gautier, best known for playing Hymie the robot on Get Smart and for having authoring numerous books on cartooning. Gautier recalls that doing the spot was a favor of sorts. He tells us, “They called me in, hoping I’d fit into the Batman costume. I could and did and then I imitated Adam’s peculiar cadence of delivery and they bought it. Let me rephrase that, as I said, there was no money.” Over the years, many viewers have recalled that it was West in the costume, a credit to Gautier’s performance. Craig noted that the actor “started his career as an impersonator and was brilliant at it.”

6 Likes
10 Likes

Holy identity theft!!!

Really? I don’t know. I see a lot of Dick Gautier on Buzzr, and it t doesn’t look or sound like him to me. But I suppose it’s him.

Interesting article.

4 Likes

A film of flags, set to Beethoven:

LOTS OF FLASHING!!

@MarjaE DO NOT WATCH!!!

5 Likes
4 Likes

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/03/13/685533353/a-playful-way-to-teach-kids-to-control-their-anger?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR1bhy8KHDlOpRakhzFPzBTZkoCsZFpEOKexEwOnTCGCsaZAr5bIRlPdI7Y
This makes me want to have another child JUST so I can raise another one.

6 Likes

New question in gaming:
Can you pet the dog?

5 Likes

http://stberyls.com/

4 Likes

I had no idea where else this might fit…

6 Likes