Well this is interesting

As a former (amateur) ballet dancer, I am so happy to see this:

12 Likes

As with band-aids, though, Iā€™ve never met anyone who actually is that pale peachy pink. Either white people used to be a lot peachier and pinker, or else the colour always did suck for everyone.

11 Likes

I come pretty darn close.

4 Likes

Iā€™m listening to BBC Radio 3, and Iā€™ve just noticed that Cole Porter stole parts of ā€œYouā€™d be so Easy to Loveā€ from Shostakovitchā€™s Piano Trio No. 1.

4 Likes

I didnā€™t know the slippers were supposed to match skin tones. Admittedly, I havenā€™t really spent much time thinking about ballet.

8 Likes

I didnā€™t either. When Iā€™ve read about balletā€™s history, itā€™s always noted the shoes usually come in pink but get dyed to match different costumes.

It seemed weird to me since pantyhose, which are coloured to match the skin tones of white people (and more recently POC) donā€™t come in that pink colour, at least not commonly.

In Elizabeth Zimmermanā€™s Knitters Almanac, she notes the pink bandage colour was called ā€œsalmonā€ in WWII. Also how sheā€™d hated it ever since :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

looks at the different colours of the various oncorhynchus species

Hell, even that ainā€™t accurate.

8 Likes

Are you referring to the meat or the scales?

The meat, in my experience, is a pretty close match to the colour ā€œsalmon.ā€

4 Likes

Salmo salar, maybe.

But itā€™s a far, far cry from Oncorhynchus nerka or even tshawytscha. Maaaybe gorbuscha or keta if you squint.

The point being that there are many species of salmon and they come in many, many colours.

7 Likes

The point of having same-color tights and shoes is to make it seem like the legs are even more elongated.

8 Likes

ā€œA good composer does not imitate; he steals.ā€

6 Likes

And that they had no feet?

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

4 Likes

Iā€™m not peachy pink, but I am actually paler than the band aid.

4 Likes

while weā€™re on the topic of interesting things and ballet, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd positions etc are the same in both ballet and fencing, harkening back to the time when young men studied both (probably just the nobles/elites tho). I audited a semester of ballet in college after a few years in my high school fencing club and when the ballet instructor explained it I was like ā€œoh, yeah. they are the same.ā€

IIRC ballet was male-exclusive in the beginning? anyone know if Iā€™m remembering that right?

6 Likes

Ten minutes of Wikipedia research says not ā€œmale-exclusive,ā€ but ā€œmale-centric.ā€

It sounds like it evolved from Renaissance court dances, and thus had both male and female roles to play. The men, however, were the stars up until the nineteenth century, at which point (pun intended), ballet moved towards featuring the ballerina.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve only seen ballet live once, not sure I stayed for the whole thing but the most dramatic move while I was there was a dude jumping really high and far across the stage. The audience applauded.

7 Likes

No idea. That would be interesting to research, but Iā€™ve just gotten home and have to make dinner in 20 minutes and then leave for the evening, so it wonā€™t be done by me, tonight at least!

5 Likes

Which it did because the ballerinas were whored out by the head of the troupe, and so then no one really cared about the men.

8 Likes

I remember that as well.

Then again, Iā€™m pretty sure I was at a track meet.

3 Likes

Court dance crossed with theatre - Louis XIVā€™s favourite pastime, as a matter of fact.

5 Likes