What Are You Listening To?

I like this. A lot!

I liked that, thank you!

Lately I’ve been flipping between Peter Murphy and Florence + the Machine.

5 Likes

Hmmm…forgot about the Jukebox topic, I suppose I should delete this and move over there…

3 Likes

Or leave this here as another entry point to the Jukebox that others may have missed.

6 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

This is included with Amazon Prime and it is SO GOOD!!

1 Like
2 Likes

Apologies for digging up an old thread but wow. I just discovered Marlena Shaw.

I was playing Rez today and recognised a brief sample of California Soul from a DJ Shadow mix that I have listened to for years. It got stuck in my head and I decided to check her out on Spotify.

Just wow. She must be the most sampled woman in trip/hip-hop and I had no idea who she was until today. She’s like a female Gil-Scott Heron who can actually sing:

Why didn’t I know who she was until now?

6 Likes

The only version of California Soul I’ve ever heard is the one at the end of The Lincoln Lawyer, with that guy awkwardly rapping over it.

Thank you for this.

3 Likes

I’ve been working my way through NPR’s 200 Greatest Songs by 21st Century Women

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/30/627395449/turning-the-tables-the-200-greatest-songs-by-21st-century-women-part-1

I’ve previously heard about 60-70% I’d guess. Not all are my typical genre, but I can see why they are there.

3 Likes

I know not too many people here will be into black metal, but this lot, with their Fedora Crushing Black Metal are bloody brilliant, if only for their song titles and album art alone.

1 Like

On my way to see Peter Murphy and David J play In the Flat Fields. If Halloween was a thing here, that would be incredible appropriate :bat:

5 Likes

Very envious.

Let us know how it was!

3 Likes

Brilliant…probably the best I’ve seen him sing, and his guitarist seems to get better every time he’s over (read: virtually indistinguishable from Daniel Ash).

If you’ll all excuse me, I will be headbanging to Ziggy for the rest of the night :metal:

4 Likes

I have this Remembrance Day tradition where I always listen to Skids’ Joy, and especially their cover of the ballad “And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda” (knife-twister/tear-jerker about Gallipoli, from the point of view of an Australian veteran, though it was written by a Scotsman).

Anyway, I randomly decided to look them up on allmusic.com, and found out they put out a new album in 2018! It is called Burning Cities,and it is doing my heart good. It’s punky without being noisy, energetic without being annoying, positive without being sappy.

And pretty much every song on the thing is political, but somehow without being lecturing or depressing.

I bought a copy of the music files from 7digital, but I’m sure it’s on streaming services. Or you can listen on YouTube here:

1 Like

An album to recomend:

Great guitar work. Great cover art.

Here’s a couple of tracks:

1 Like

OMG rick steves said so much racist shit this week

http://ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/radio/programs/program-550

I knew he was a rich white man making radio for rich white people but WTF

Maeve Higgins was all like, Ooh, I don’t know about that, Rick :astonished:

1 Like

Was he high?
What kind of things did he say?

2 Likes

“The Irish used to be the Negroes of America”

“Immigrants should assimilate and learn English”

2 Likes

Oh my, how… typical? I’ve generally liked his programs, but … Yes … This is unfortunate

2 Likes