What Are You Listening To?

but wasn’t Bonham a band in their own right? i mean, sure, when your main guy and drummer is John Bonham’s son, you gotta do some Zeppelin, but i never thought of them as merely a cover band.

3 Likes

I’m sure you’re right. I’m not familiar with either band,though I may have one album by Led Zep (a term I use as an internet contraction, not as a fan). :slightly_smiling_face: I think it’s the album with the family around a table, where the man looks like he’s on something.

2 Likes

Bonham is John Bonham’s band - Zeppelin’s lead drummer’s son.

Okay, If you only have one Zeppelin album, you need some education.

Start at the beginning, Zeppelin 1

then 2

then 3

Their most famous album, Led Zeppelin 4 aka ZOSO - with Stairway to Heaven

and my fave, their final album, Physical Graffiti

2 Likes

I got sick of LZ when I was a teen. Also, did Robert Plant ever cop to um, singing like Janis Joplin (think about it; watch some of their live performances and compare not just the sound but the appearance; she influenced a lot of post-LZ hair bands, youbetcha!)?

1 Like

Physical Graffiti isn’t their last one at all – there’s also Presence (1976), In Through the Out Door (1979 – which is their last “real” one), and Coda (1982, studio outtakes). i know they are not everyone’s cup of tea, but i’ve loved them forever.

3 Likes

Thank you. Was thinking I was missing some.

3 Likes

I have such a fun story about him.

When I was in college in New Orleans, Robert Plant came to LSU to perform. I ended up going with a group of my friends who had tickets (I was one of two designated drivers for the night - the other guy and I ended up having our own party afterwards).

Anyway, my friend roommate was not a fan of Robert Plant. She kept saying she never saw why people thought he was so sexy.

And the next year when he came, she was first in line for tickets.

She definitely got it.

He was older then and not as beautiful as he was in 1970’s, but damn he was fine.

1 Like

That’s the one with the family around the table. The guy looks normal so I must be thinking of a different album (unless it’s on the back).

That’ll keep me going for a while!

2 Likes

In-depth read through and commentary on the entirety of the Aubrey/Maturin series. Multiple episodes per book; they’re currently up to The Far Side of the World (AKA the one that the movie was loosely based on).

Good relaxing background noise while working in the shed.

2 Likes

there are a lot of photos with “the object” for that album – maybe it’s one of the pix on the inner sleeve, too. and i’ve even seen outtake shots, but i don’t know why a random outtake shot would stick in your head like that. i bet it’s one on the actual release and it just stuck with you for whatever reason.

1 Like

I just looked at through my LPs and indeed the LZ album I have has a normal guy. Now I wonder which album has it?? Sigh.

huh. that’s a mystery, for sure. that’s the only album with those photos, too. i just looked up the pix of the gatefold and inner sleeve, and yeah, there’s no other pix of the family around the table. glitch in the matrix!

1 Like

And the new album (Reinventinator) is out. There was a bit of a snafu with downloading codes, but it’s what’s up on my playlist now.

So far, the main criticism I have is that in several cases they went a little too crazy with the number of songs being mashed together into one, and could have done with a little more focus. I feel like it still works, though, even when it really, really, really shouldn’t.

Lately I’ve been able to catch some episodes of The Adventures of Superman from mid-December 1941. The scripts must have been written a few weeks earlier. In this story, teams of engineers working on the Pan-American Highway have been disappearing in the Andes. Perry White leads an expedition with Clark, Lois and Jimmy to find out why.

What they find is a group of Incas who retreated from the Spanish conquest centuries before and have been hiding in the mountain ever since. Perry White is convinced they are “savages.” Clark tries to convince him they are not.

The Inca leader has a conversation with Lois. He explains they know of the fighting and greed of the outside world and want no part of it. Therefore anyone who stumbles upon their sacred mountain is never allowed to leave. Lois replies with a speech about how the Pan-American Highway is intended to help the world by allowing people to meet other people rather than start wars with unknown enemies.

This is apparently the early, left-wing Superman.

And, by the way, Superman at this time was only fighting for truth and justice, not the American Way.

5 Likes

I put on one of my old playlists and just over an hour in, what should come up but Rick Astley, Never Gonna Give You Up.

I rickrolled myself.

5 Likes

Superman is up to January 1942 now and a new story has started. In this one a 12-foot tall mechanical man is on a rampage.

The announcer, at the end of the Inca-based story, mentioned that in the current global situation you can be sure Superman will have plenty of upcoming adventures. But so far there have been no war references.

At the star of the second episode Clark and Lois are racing to the scene in a car. Lois is skeptical of he idea of an indestructible robot terrorizing the countryside. She thinks it will turn out to be like “all those men from Mars we heard about a few years ago,” thereby making one of the first pop culture references to the War or the Worlds brodcast.

4 Likes

References to WW2 have suddenly appeared on The Adventures Of Superman.

It has been revealed that Superman, or rather Clark Kent, is working undercover for the Secret Service. He only confides this information to Perry White. Lois isn’t told, but of course immediately finds out.

Also, we learn that the man responsible for releasing the giant robot is a German agent. This agent plans on carrying out acts of terrorism against defense plants to sow confusion across the US.

Both of these plot developments feel unnecessarily tacked-on to the existing story. As we are now in mid-January 1942, it appears production of Superman episodes was 5 weeks ahead of broadcast. These are transcriptions, of course.

2 Likes

Oh, Superman. You’ve gone from fun adventure to full propaganda in no time. A few examples:

The original criminal mastermind of this storyline spoke with a typical American villain-type voice and was named “the Yellow Mask.” This was simply because he wore a yellow mask. See below. Now he’s being retconned. Now they say it’s because of the unnatural yellow color of his face. That has to be some insult towards the Japanese. His voice, however, has not changed.

When Clark and his superior in the Secret Service discover more German agents, they can hear their “guttural foreign accents."

Later, the superior (I can’t remember his name) is worried about the effects terrorism will have on the US. He points out how effective it was against Spain, Norway and France. Superman reminds him “Americans don’t scare as easily.”

And so on and so forth…

Interesting historical note —
The under-cover German terrorist (the criminal mastermind behind the criminal mastermind as it were) has a compressed-air catapult for launching an aircraft off the balcony of his Metropolis penthouse. Clark muses to his superior that mechanisms such as these mounted on battleships must have been used by the Japanese to attack Pearl Harbor. “Thousands of airplanes attacked. More than could be brought on aircraft carriers.” His superior was doubtful. “Anything is possible these days,” Clark says. Everybody thinks they’re living during the pinnacle of technology.

3 Likes
2 Likes

But we are…and they were…I mean, as up on a pinnacle as any one could/can get in their present era, correct? :smiley:

3 Likes