What Are You Listening To?

Kinda, but there’s tons of technology that exists, but isn’t sufficiently economic or practical or politically backed to actually be used day-to-day.

Like we could all be using solar/wind/hydro/nuclear power - the tech is there. But still we’re burning vast amounts of coal and gas for electricity. We can detect and analyze the DNA/RNA of viruses and bacteria and stuff down to the genetic level, but a lot of medicine is just “well, it might be bacterial, so we’ll just give you a broad-spectrum antibiotic and see if that helps.”

So in a way, we’re not living anywhere near the pinnacle of the tech of even our own present era.

3 Likes

But the tech exists, whether it’s widely available or not; “we live in the age of”, see what I mean?

And I tried listening to this last night, as it’s allegedly “soothing relaxing heavenly”. Would someone else please give it a listen and let me know if they found it so? Because I think the first few pieces sound a bit strident.

1 Like

IIRC, most of the really good performers aren’t aiming for a relaxing sound. (And I own copies of L’estro Armonico, La stravaganza, La cetra. and, of course, Le quattro stagioni.)

Try Chopin?

2 Likes

I had my heart set on Vivaldi, though. Sigh.

1 Like

My favorite baroque artist playing vivaldi–

this recording won the 2003 classical grammy, if that means anything.

1 Like

The Concerto in C Major, Opus 4 No. 7 is exactly what I’m talking about. I want three hours of that sort of music.

This album was on repeat for about three months in the house I lived in when I was nineteen.

2 Likes

Going back to some of the silliness of the early 90s today.

1 Like

And now, a good cover.

They also do a really powerful cover of “Rape Me” by Nirvana, at least as raw and hard as the original, if not more so. Perhaps obviously, it’s not for the easily offended:

1 Like

Y’know that thing when you realise that a musician you liked as a teenager is no longer young and it makes you feel really old?

It’s now stepped up a level:

APIA is the Australian Pensioner’s Insurance Agency. They only sell to over 50’s.

4 Likes

My first thought was, that looks like '80s, they couldn’t possibly be that old…ouch.

2 Likes
3 Likes

What is he saying…“Watching all the planes go by”? “Watching all the plays go by”? “Watching all the players go by?”

Help!

1 Like

An interesting cover with an extra verse that actually fits incredibly well, sung from the sister’s point of view:

1 Like
3 Likes

As much as I hate Disney for their business practices, that time they made an acid trip and just casually stuck it in a cartoon is still good 80 years later. Hard to believe this is from a kid’s movie from 1941.

2 Likes

Not exactly the deepest philosophical songs … or are they?

4 Likes