What Are You Listening To?

The guitarist is an old friend (as in “a hair under half a century” - that kind of old). The drummer, Larnell Lewis, is Snarky Puppy’s drummer. Turns out he’s Canadian. I did not know that.

1 Like
1 Like
4 Likes

Join the National Air and Space Museum Thursday, April 30 at 8 pm EDT for a YouTube concert event, sharing songs about space and isolation to celebrate how extreme situations can bring out the very best in us all and why there’s no challenge we can’t face together. This recorded concert, hosted by Tested’s Adam Savage, will feature special guests and performances by Sting, Clipping, Bethany Cosentino of Best Coast, Dan Deacon, Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie, Valerie June, Lukas Nelson, Grace Potter, and Vagabon.

(I missed it when it streamed a few hours ago, but the full thing’s still available.)

2 Likes

Bandcamp is doing that thing again where they waive their cut and artists get 100% of what you pay them. (In turn, some artists have pledged to donate proceeds to various charities; others really need the help because regular gigs have been canceled for a while.) And music is metaphorically flying off their metaphorical shelves.

Anyway… some highlights from my haul this morning:

3 Likes

I apparently touched something that triggered a wave of directed advertising at me, for a new (?) manufactured singer named Alina Baraz. Below is an example. Is anybody hearing anything here of value that I’m missing?

1 Like
2 Likes

Not that I can tell. It sounds like run-of-the-mill pap.

3 Likes

A favorite of my father’s. Thank you.

Edit - And I’ve now queued up a morning’s worth of “Stuff Dad Listened To” so I’ll be melancholy all day.

2 Likes

Gah! Forgot to post this yesterday…50th Anniversary of Kent State

Two sides of the same song.

The playing in this one is good:

While in this one the first guy gives up even pretending to play in the first minute, but it’s even more funny because of that:

1 Like

1 Like

I’ma find out how well Wilco’s Yankee Hotel Foxtrot holds up. It’s been about 5 years since my last listen.

3 Likes

Youtube’s been tossing synthwave songs at me lately, and it’s an interesting hit of 80s nostalgia.

Started when I watched the video for Carpenter Brut’s Turbo Killer due to an Ars article on it:

And since then, it’s been tossing a lot of Gunship at me:

2 Likes

Abney Park doing a cover of the Neverending Story themesong?

Aaaaand now I wonder how well a steampunk remake of Neverending Story might work.

2 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Wow.

1 Like

Sadly more relevant now than ever:

2 Likes