What Are You Listening To?

Hanns Eisler

1 Like

This and this (and dancing as well as listening):

3 Likes
3 Likes

I remember my dad always had these cassettes in the truck. It was that or Paul Anka. I went with hooked on classics

3 Likes
5 Likes

Flying Petals, by Kit Watkins, over at Bandcamp. com.

Prompted by this snarkey comment:

In a subtle burn, the estate added, “Had the RNC requested another song, ‘You Want it Darker,’ for which Leonard won a posthumous Grammy in 2017, we might have considered approval of that song.”

source

2 Likes

This music video is genius

Nsfw

4 Likes

https://somethingpositive.net/comic/mop-and-bucket/

9 Likes

This is a different version:

1 Like

Oh…the memories…1972 was a shitty year for the world in general, but it was the last good year I had as a pre-pubescent.

I remember so clearly my elementary school’s talent show, and three girls danced to “Joy” with the colored flashing lights and all. I was entranced. And of course, I knew all of the original classical arrangements of most, if not all, the songs that Apollo 100 recorded.

Y’know…the other kids I knew, they might’ve had more toys and playthings than we did…but we had more books, tapes, and records than anyone I knew back then.

4 Likes

A friend had Apollo 100’s album. For nostalgic reasons I got the CD only a year or three ago. Sounds rather quaint nowadays for some reason.
There was another popification of classical works around that time, by Waldo de los Rios, with an album called Sinfonias. The one that got a lot of air time was Mozart’s 40th symphony (I forget which movement):

3 Likes

Welcome back

1 Like

Corb Lund - The Gothest Girl I Can

2 Likes
1 Like

Isn’t that @Nytespryte?

Also, that song wasn’t very goth, though it was quite good. 1/10 Robert Smiths for gothness.

And weirdly, it reminds me of this Dead Milkmen classic…

4 Likes

It isn’t, that’s the funny part - it’s a former punk rocker who switched to country and then did a rockabilly song about goth. I really like stuff like that that unapologetically crosses boundaries.

Another I like is a guy who’s basically creating the Industrial Pop genre. Industrial fans generally dislike pop, but he brings them together. That sort of thing is art that I can appreciate.

3 Likes

Me too! It’s good stuff.

Got a video to share?

2 Likes

Sure! Here are a few I like that are more towards the pop side:

And a couple more towards the more industrial side:

When there’s not a pandemic on, they usually play small venues and dives, so the concerts are a lot of fun and full of energy. A funny thing is the reactions of people who were invited by somebody else or just happened to be there and obviously had no idea what to expect, but weren’t expecting that.

4 Likes