Whatcha Got Cookin'?

A general food/cooking thread.

Doesn’t have to be about recipes, per se, maybe you just found a new twist on Kraft Dinner and want to spread the word. Or maybe you just invented something completely new, that has never been found in the kitchen before. Or you have a handy tip for those leftover veggies that came with your takeout.

Fancy or fresh from the box, doesn’t matter. What’s happening in your kitchen?

6 Likes

I don’t know who first brought up powdered peanut butter here, but I just threw some in the bran muffins I was mixing up, and holy hell, are they good.

Just threw some into the dry ingredients, and mixed well before adding liquid.

These. Are. Amazing.

11 Likes

I’ve never heard of such a thing! How is it different than finely ground peanuts? Or does it have other stuff in it?

5 Likes

The ones I’ve seen have sugar in them, so that might be part of the reason why muffins taste better!

7 Likes

Probably me.

The Powdered Peanut Butter I have is just ground up dried peanut butter and it is great.

It adds a nice peanutty kick to things.

8 Likes

Rabbit gumbo with bacon cornbread

7 Likes

Looks really good. Is that a biscuit?

I’ve never had rabbit though. I’ve seen too many at pet stores! :hushed: :rabbit2:

2 Likes

That is cornbread.

I also made biscuits this week, but this is not one of them.

Every time I eat rabbit, I just imagine it’s the rabbit that attacked Jimmy Carter and I’m just doing my part to defend the country.

5 Likes

:rofl:

My wife just made cornbread this weekend. It is SO good, but then it’s hard to make bad cornbread (though I imagine it’s been done).

I forgot to ask: is that all homemade?

3 Likes

the powdered peanut butter i have is the PB Fit brand – what makes it pretty amazing is that it’s got half the fat of regular peanut butter, but all the protein. lots of people use them in shakes, which aren’t my thing, so i’ve been trying to find other ways to use it. i like the idea of using it in muffins and stuff!

7 Likes

The beer is not homemade :wink:

The dry ingredients for the cornbread were from a Jiffy box, partly because I didn’t want another thing to worry about, and partly because I lived off Jiffy in college and was a bit nostalgic.

The rabbit is definitely homemade:

1. Preheat oven to 500F
  2. Chop the vegetables (2 parts onion, one part carrot, one part red pepper) and the garlic and jalapeños
  3. Prepare the spice blend (I used sage, thyme, marjoram, and oregano)
  4. Cut the rabbit into sections and coat with kosher salt, black pepper, and olive oil.
  5. Cook bacon in large pot and remove once cooked.
  6. Add rabbit to the bacon grease until crispy and browned, then remove.
  7. Add veggies to bacon / rabbit grease, and add oil if needed (it shouldn’t be)
  8. Add garlic, jalapeños, and spice blend once veggies are soft.
  9. Deglaze pot with white wine once pot is fragrant
  10. When wine is reduced by half, add rabbit back to pot and top off with water
  11. When water is boiling, put pot in oven for two hours
  12. Take rabbit out of the pot and take the bones out
  13. Make a roux out of butter and flour in a large skillet
  14. Slowly stir liquid from pot into roux
  15. Add rabbit and veggies into skillet until gravy coats the mixture and proper texture is reached
6 Likes

Augason Farms (sp?) makes a commercial dried peanut butter powder that is excellent. The company itself is a tad creepy-- they are on the fringes of the prepper movement-- but their products are generally excellent. We go through cans upon cans of their dehydrated strawberries. Available through Amazon.

4 Likes

I joked that the powdered peanut butter was in our Apocalypse Kit.

6 Likes

There is a bit of sugar and salt, but mainly it’s giving them a peanut butter flavour without the sticky texture of peanut butter.

I also find it handy for adding to soup, as opposed to melting peanut butter in. The fact that it’s lower fat also means it doesn’t muck with the texture of the soup when it cools.

3 Likes

One of the things I am working on while I’m laid up is to get our emergency food and beverage supply set up and properly organized. I’m not a prepper or anything, but I’m much more comfortable having ten day’s worth of food and water for the RatsClan available in case of dire disaster. Given the size of the clan, that’s not a trivial thing.

7 Likes

Has anyone tried 660 curries? I’m trying to figure out if it would offer new recipes that would work with both my and my brother’s restrictions.

Rats do tend to multiply quickly.
I hope you’re not too badly laid up.
Emergency supplies sounds like a good idea. I should get around to it. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

That’s a lot of curries, where would I find the time?

2 Likes

Pretty badly at the moment… I had a complete knee replacement ten days ago, and they had to do a second surgery the second day because the new knee wasn’t lined up quite right. I’m getting around with crutches for short distances. I’m back at work and PT visits this week. It’s going to be a while before it gets better.

9 Likes

That sucks they didn’t get it right the first time! Best wishes for a good recovery.

6 Likes