Whatcha Got Cookin'?

A good use for leftover rabbit? Put it in a Mac-n-cheese!

1. Preheat oven to 400F
  2. Boil 8oz of pasta in water with kosher salt and no oil. I use Fusilli Lunghi instead of regular macaroni because it holds the sauce (yes, I said sauce) better.
  3. Cube 8oz Velveeta and 4oz butter and mix with 8oz shredded cheddar jack. This is the cheese mixture.
  4. Mix 12oz condensed milk, one egg, a couple ounces of sour cream, and good sized dashes of black pepper and cayenne pepper. This is the cream mixture.
  5. Mix 4oz orange sharp cheddar with however much panko breadcrumbs you desire. This is the crust mixture.
  6. Mix cooked pasta, leftover rabbit, cheese mixture, and cream mixture together thoroughly in an oven safe dish, by hand if necessary.
  7. Top with crust mixture and bake 15-20 minutes.

2 Likes

It wasn’t fun, but it would have been worse if they waited until it healed and had to do it over again.

They lined the new one up straight, which was a problem, because I’m normally duck-foot. So the next morning they drugged me into a happy place, put me back under, yanked the implant out, rotated it about 20 degrees, and cemented it back in. Probably needless to say, the second surgery was waaaaay worse than the first, recovery and pain-wise. (Spoilered because of graphic surgical details.)

Thanks, I appreciate that!

10 Likes

A couple more:

Chicago Style Chicken Vesuvio

(apologies for unappealing plating)

1. Preheat oven to 450F
  2. Coat bone-in chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and olive oil, and brown in large pot on stove top
  3. Remove chicken pieces and add potatoes
  4. When potatoes are browned, add garlic
  5. Add chicken again, season everything with thyme and oregano
  6. Add mixture of half white wine, half chicken broth, but not enough to cover
  7. When liquid boils, transfer pot to oven and cook for 45 minutes
  8. Transfer liquid to large skillet, add artichoke hearts, and cook until artichokes and sauce are at the desired texture
  9. Finish sauce with butter

My variation:

'3. Use sweet potatoes and multi colored carrots instead of regular potatoes
'4. Do not add garlic
'5. Use fresh rosemary and thyme instead of dried oregano and thyme
'6. Use orange juice in place of the white wine
'8. Add liquid to roux made of flour and butter, do not add artichoke hearts

(The lumpy bits are from when I fucked up and tried to thicken the liquid by adding flour, instead of pouring the liquid into roux to thicken.)

6 Likes

If you take SOME of the liquid into a small container and add cornstarch (or flour, but really, cornstarch is better) and shake/mix it up well, then you can put the liquefied starch back into the main dish and keep going without clumps.

6 Likes

This was my go-to in my childhood, to make gravy:

Note well: hot liquid in a thin metal shaker must be held carefully with a towel or pot holders!!

6 Likes

I have one exactly like that! It was my mom’s.

It has been relegated to mixing small amounts of plaster and water for various modeling purposes.

4 Likes

That’s old school. Haven’t seen one of those in years.

5 Likes

I’m old school, dude, you know that!

5 Likes

Crust

1. Mix 1 teaspoon bakers yeast into a couple ounces of water
  2. Mix a cup or so of flour in with the yeast mixture, a tablespoon of honey, and a couple good sized pinches of kosher salt
  3. Add cold water until dough forms
  4. Knead dough on wooden board with more flour and leave out for 15 minutes
  5. Proof dough by flattening, folding one set of edges onto each other, then folding the other set of edges onto each other
  6. Wait 15 minutes and proof again
  7. Cover in olive oil and set in fridge for 2-5 days

Toppings

Whatever you want. I used browned sausage mixed with raw onions and formed a layer on top of the crust.

I also added a good sized pinch of fennel and two tablespoons of butter to the sausage browning pan and used that to oil the crust

Then I deglazed the pan with red wine and added the reduction to the sauce (below)

Sauce

1. One part crushed tomatoes to one part tomato paste
  2. Herbs (I used the basic thyme and oregano)
  3. Sweetener (I leave this out unless I’m working with acidic tomatoes or want St Louis style pizza)
  4. Oil (I often leave this out but added olive oil this time)
  5. This is where I added the wine reduction

Cheese

Whatever you want. I used one part mozzarella to one part sharp white cheddar because I’m boring

5 Likes

Now you’ve made me hungry again.

My wife makes pizza dough in the bread machine (but of course we cook it in the oven). She also adds Italian-style herbs to the dough, like rosemary, sage, basil, etc. Really good.

4 Likes

At 500F at the very least

5 Likes

Yeah, and it should be wood-fired, but what can you do.

4 Likes

I’ve got space in the backyard where I toyed with the idea of building a wood fired pizza oven.

Do I need one?

No.

Do I want one?

Sorta, yes.

And I was well and happy to leave that as one of my many projects I think about doing, but never actually do. Especially after my partner dismissed it as being too expensive and (maybe) a little out of my skillset.

But…

My partner must have seen a video and realized it was something we could accomplish and cost was not that high.

So, looks like backyard kitchen with pizza oven is on the future to do list.

8 Likes

Let me know when it’s done! :grin:

5 Likes

can i live vicariously through you? because this sounds exactly like my situation, except my husband probably wouldn’t go for it even after the video. he’s so sensible that way, sigh.

7 Likes

Forget that…let ME know when it’s done, because I’m within driving range!!!

7 Likes

Wasn’t bad. Interesting flavor profile. Chicken that tasted like pickles, in a slightly sweet breading. Not the best thing I’ve had all week, but what the hell I’d probably make it again.

4 Likes

I’ve got nothing to compare this to, because I haven’t been to chick fil a in decades. I’ve been boycotting them by default :wink:

3 Likes

Made a curry laksa for the first time in ages two nights ago. Not the best pic but it was goooood. Too many peas but they were the only green vegetable I had!

6 Likes

Looks tasty!

3 Likes