Whatcha Got Cookin'?

Twas great! First time I’ve cooked with those fried tofu ‘puffs’ too.

Small amount sunflower oil
Saute onion, chicken, peas, carrot, corn, garlic (whatever vegies you have - I usually have yellow capsicum, zucchini and broccoli as well as those above. Yes, I know chicken isn’t a vegetable. You know what I mean!)
Cut tofu puffs into four pieces, chuck into pan with vegies etc. Or cut them smaller pieces as these were really too big for me. Add curry laksa paste. Cook until fragrant. Add coconut milk or cream. Water as well if you like. Simmer until laksa paste is ‘split’ and floating on top of coconut milk/cream.

In a separate saucepan or bowl, pour boiling water over rice vermicelli noodles and let sit until soft (about 5 mins). Bought laksas usually have thicker yellow noodles in them too, but I can’t be bothered with that.

Place softened noodles into bowl. Spoon over chicken/vegie/tofu/coconut milk mix.

Enjoy! So comforting. And remember to wear a suitable laksa-eating outfit - those tofu puffs get a lot of liquid in them and tend to spurt everywhere. I recommend something black which doesn’t stain. Or a bib.

4 Likes

Getting ready for some relaxing in the sun, so…

syrup

Cooking up a nice batch of ginger syrup. Slightly modified, and doubled, version of the How To Drink recipe. And boy, were my hands starting to sting a little after peeling all that ginger…

2 Likes

I made dis. The comments were very helpful, especially one by Olive something-or-other; and there was someone who didn’t use “parchament” paper, she used spray-on coconut oil. I used butter-flavored non-stick spray. And my crock pot is from the 1960s.
https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a54771/slow-cooker-bread-recipe/

IMG_20201017_201407_1

I transposed the amounts of cheese to be added, so I ended up using 1-1/2 cups of mozzarella, and 1/2 cup of pepper jack! I also added a few shakes of garlic powder and 7 cut-up slices of drained bacon – it came out GREAT!

1 Like

Me: impulse buys roast

Instructions: Place in rack on roasting pan…

Me: has neither roasting pan nor rack

I mean, the point of a rack is simply to hold the roast off the bottom of the pan, right? So excess can drip off, rather than the roast cooking in liquid? So aluminum foil isn’t reusable. I also only do this about once every couple of years (hence lack of “appropriate” equipment).

6 Likes

Me: whoops I didn’t realize that the package contained two tenderloin pieces instead of one. The recipe I am prepping only needs one.

Lessee: I have panko breadcrumbs, poultry seasoning and butter. Butterfly the tenderloin, salt then add butter, poultry seasoning (basically finely ground sage, rosemary, marjoram and pepper, so good for pork, too), and top generously with panko. Roll up and tie. Put on baking sheet and in 350° oven until done (or somewhat overdone if – like me – you forget to set a timer to go check the temp :roll_eyes:). Boom – quick stuffed pork roast. Didn’t even get fancy with a proper(ish) roasting pan like above.

Oh, sure, you could get fancy with artisanal seasonings and purpose-ground multigrain crumbs. But this was a spur of the moment “Oh, fuck, what do I do now?” cook. A bit dry thanks to the timing, but not overly so (the butter helped big-time on that, methinks) and tasty.

Good food doesn’t have to be hard. You don’t need a million and a half different spices or a ton of fancy gear: I used a smallish knife and a foil-topped cookie sheet. Not the right tools, but they worked. Pre-made spice blend meant I could just sprinkle it on. And I use panko as a topping/coating for a lot of things, so it’s just something I have on hand (seriously I recommend just picking some up with the groceries and keeping it in the cupboard) and I would wager it tastes just as good as any other “quick” stuffing with the bonus that panko is more versatile.

I may actually do this again sometime. Hopefully without the overcooking.

Let’s hear it for aluminum foil.

4 Likes

Sag Paneer. Not the prettiest picture, but I’d already served the plated servings.

Paneer from the local Indian Grocery and my go to recipe. The serrano pepper was a HOT :fire::fire::fire: one. Glad I seeded and deveined it.

Some naan on the side and dinner was served.

Edit -

Take some paneer. 12oz package. Chop it into cubes that are 1/2" to 3/4". Toss that in a bowl cover with enough oil. Enough is about two tablespoon of olive oil and two tablespoons of sesame (if you have it). A tablespoon of tumeric and a couple of dashes of red pepper flakes. Stir well. Pour that into a pan on med-low heat. Let it brown on one side, flip the pan and brown a second side and leave it on low heat.

In a second pan, toss a chopped-up, medium white onion with some oil and sweat it out. Add in crushed garlic (4 cloves), an inch of Ginger root (finely shredded) and chopped up serrano pepper. Let it all hang out on low heat for at least 15 minutes.

Spices up next. Tablespoon each of ground cardamom, cumin and garam masala. Toss over onion mixture. Add a little water and let the spices bloom. 5 minutes or so.

Take a bag of frozen spinach. Shred it up in a blender/food processor (still frozen). Add that to the pan and fold in the onion mixture. Bring up to temperature. Might need a little more water. Once it is up to temp, fold in a 1/2 cup of plain yogurt. (I prefer Greek.)

Add the paneer to the spinach mix and simmer for a few minutes as you warm up your naan.

That seems to be it.

5 Likes

And you didn’t post the recipe for us? For shame!

4 Likes

I have corrected the oversight.

3 Likes

mmm, LOVE saag paneer!

1 Like

I had coffee with chicory for the first time today. Now quite what I was expecting. I don’t know whether I like it or not. It tastes like tea made from cedar mulch.

It’s made by the Café du Monde in New Orleans. I can see why it would be popular in a hot, humid part of the country — it’s much “lighter” than regular coffee.

4 Likes

Interesting. Whenever I hear or read about chicory it is usually derogatory.

3 Likes

When you can’t always get and/or afford real coffee, you come up with ways to make do with what you have.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Never tried that. Probably never will.

3 Likes

my grandmother drank Postum. you’re right, it’s not coffee, but it’s not entirely terrible, either. i think Postum was also advertised as “not giving you coffee jitters,” but maybe i’m mixing up my vintage ad campaigns.

2 Likes

It’s not the worst way to stretch coffee.

I’ve had “Lumberjack Coffee” where they mix the coffee grounds with saw dust.

It was peculiar.

And I’m sure it would be highly dependent on the wood used, but I wasn’t keen on a second cup.

3 Likes

But lots of nice fiber.

:scream:

2 Likes

Coffee with Chicory — the Update

I have been living with coffee with chicory for the past week and I’m not sick of it yet. I think if I grew up with it I would really like it.

Although it uses roasted chicory roots, it’s thankfully not smokey. It has more of a light floral taste. Definitely the flavor you get in your mouth while working with wheelbarrows of top soil and cedar mulch while under a willow tree. Perfect for the summer.

7 Likes