Whatcha Watchin'?

Outcast is an adaptation of a supernatural horror comic about exorcists in rural West Virginia.

They cast Brent Spiner in a key role, and it took me a whole year to stop seeing Data.

7 Likes

I hadn’t heard of Fortitude. I see there were two seasons, separated by two years. Is the first season complete in itself?

At the risk of turning this thread into “What Creeped You Out?”, I nominate Buried as the anti-feel-good movie of 2010.

But the movie that most disturbed me in recent years, probably ever, was Compliance. No zombies, aliens, serial killers, or blood, just the reality of psychological manipulation and ruined lives.

2 Likes

To add one more data point, I’m okay with violence and gore, but I won’t willingly watch shows dealing with the death of a child or, especially, the suicide of a young person.

6 Likes
  • Halt and Catch Fire
  • Twin Peaks
  • Netflix

HCF is a fun blend of just-enough tech and drama between absolutely compelling characters (Boz and Donna, I’d watch them all day and if Cameron showed up that’d be rad) that’s set in a time period I remember with a surprisingly good musical selection.

Also, I like putting french phrases into Google Translate and having the French Google Lady read them back to me. Surprisingly soothing.

https://translate.google.com/#fr/en/Système%20Universitaire%20de%20Documentation

EDIT: Twin Peaks speaks for itself…

8 Likes

Well that would be kombaya.

3 Likes

I couldn’t finish Behind the Candelabra, the emotional abuse was too much for me.

2 Likes

I watched the last two seasons of The Leftovers (HBO) and I found it quite intriguing. I never read the book but I find the premise interesting and it is an excellent foil for exploration of religion. Third season just started and I’m already wrapped up again. But what’s up with the new opening song?!?

3 Likes

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 last night, in a double bill with the first film.

I don’t want to say too much and potentially spoiler it, and i’ve never liked reviewing thing (blame school book reports), but if you liked the first one, you should like this too.

11 Likes

Good.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching a lot of this lately.

6 Likes

In case you’re curious about who he murders in season 1:

2 Likes

But they’re all bad guys so it’s OK. :wink:

Also he doesn’t “murder,” he “equalizes.”

4 Likes

But if I may editorialize — I prefer the episodes when he doesn’t kill anyone. The belief that killing will solve problems rather than creating more is immature and a symptom of lazy writing.

6 Likes

Now, I’m watching/listening to “Mister Roberts” (1955). My parents saw it on stage; I can’t imagine what that must’ve been like (they said it was hilarious); it would’ve been anywhere from 1948 to 1951, I think.

2 Likes

One of my late mother’s favorites!

1 Like

still watching Six Feet Under.

Jake is cute. I wonder if David will cheat on Keith.

Catastrophe, Season 3 is just out on Amazon (US, it’s been out a while in UK?). Fantastic show about a couple who accidentally gets pregnant on a hook-up and decides to stay together. Very funny and very honest, in a way that is both uncomfortable, 100% familiar and endearing.

3 Likes

I’m torn. I’m not using a poll because I want the IMDB links visible and accessible:

My Options

• Indiscreet (1931)
  • Seven Footprints to Satan (1929)
  • Sweetie (1929)
  1. Indiscreet: A young woman jeopardizes the relationship with the man she loves when a no-account from her past shows up. 7.9 IMDB score. Gloria Swanson, Ben Lyon, Arthur Lake. Watch Indiscreet on YouTube

2. Seven Footprints to Satan : (1929). A young man of society wants to make an expedition to Africa, but his fiancée asks him for help about one of her fathers guests shortly before his planned departure. Comedy crime drama silent film with Thelma Todd and Creighton Hale. 6.9 IMDB Score. Watch Seven Footprints to Satan on YouTube

3. Sweetie (1929) Cute early musical starring Nancy Carroll as a chorus girl who inherits a men’s college where her ex-boyfriend (Stanley Smith) is a star football player. She tries to sabotage his career until she gets school spirit. Helen Kane, the inspiration for cartoon character Betty Boop, appears. 7.1 IMDB Score. Watch Sweetie on YouTube

Platform Tags

• YouTube

Rating for Seven Footprimts…: 7. Very funny, but predictable and very little actual menace.

5 Likes

Watch all three!

3 Likes

I’d go with Seven Footprints which looked neato in the stills I’ve seen.

2 Likes