Whatcha Watchin'?

I’ve been watching a lot of this lately.

6 Likes

In case you’re curious about who he murders in season 1:

2 Likes

But they’re all bad guys so it’s OK. :wink:

Also he doesn’t “murder,” he “equalizes.”

4 Likes

But if I may editorialize — I prefer the episodes when he doesn’t kill anyone. The belief that killing will solve problems rather than creating more is immature and a symptom of lazy writing.

6 Likes

Now, I’m watching/listening to “Mister Roberts” (1955). My parents saw it on stage; I can’t imagine what that must’ve been like (they said it was hilarious); it would’ve been anywhere from 1948 to 1951, I think.

2 Likes

One of my late mother’s favorites!

1 Like

still watching Six Feet Under.

Jake is cute. I wonder if David will cheat on Keith.

Catastrophe, Season 3 is just out on Amazon (US, it’s been out a while in UK?). Fantastic show about a couple who accidentally gets pregnant on a hook-up and decides to stay together. Very funny and very honest, in a way that is both uncomfortable, 100% familiar and endearing.

3 Likes

I’m torn. I’m not using a poll because I want the IMDB links visible and accessible:

My Options

• Indiscreet (1931)
  • Seven Footprints to Satan (1929)
  • Sweetie (1929)
  1. Indiscreet: A young woman jeopardizes the relationship with the man she loves when a no-account from her past shows up. 7.9 IMDB score. Gloria Swanson, Ben Lyon, Arthur Lake. Watch Indiscreet on YouTube

2. Seven Footprints to Satan : (1929). A young man of society wants to make an expedition to Africa, but his fiancée asks him for help about one of her fathers guests shortly before his planned departure. Comedy crime drama silent film with Thelma Todd and Creighton Hale. 6.9 IMDB Score. Watch Seven Footprints to Satan on YouTube

3. Sweetie (1929) Cute early musical starring Nancy Carroll as a chorus girl who inherits a men’s college where her ex-boyfriend (Stanley Smith) is a star football player. She tries to sabotage his career until she gets school spirit. Helen Kane, the inspiration for cartoon character Betty Boop, appears. 7.1 IMDB Score. Watch Sweetie on YouTube

Platform Tags

• YouTube

Rating for Seven Footprimts…: 7. Very funny, but predictable and very little actual menace.

5 Likes

Watch all three!

3 Likes

I’d go with Seven Footprints which looked neato in the stills I’ve seen.

2 Likes

Indeed I shall, but not in one evening!

Seven Footprints to Satan is a laugh-fest, like David Lynch meets James Whale meets the mute cast of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t doubt it, judging by the cast.

Indescreet sounds like your best bet.

2 Likes

Just watched American Gods

8 Likes

Better Call Saul. Anyone else watching?

7 Likes

My gods, yes. Best thing on TV at the moment (at least until GoT returns). Mrs Cynical has only seen about half of Breaking Bad while I have watched it all but we’re both enjoying it a great deal.

3 Likes

American Gods is also brilliant. Just watched the first episode and I’m already hooked.

Is it just me or is this the first time that Ian McShane has been well-cast in a role? He’s an annoying, arrogant oddball who (despite having some surface charisma) comes off as intensely creepy. Somehow, in American Gods (after 30 odd years of “acting”) he has found a role that seems to have been written for him.

4 Likes

You mean Deadwood wasn’t written for him?

I love everything I see him in, myself.

10 Likes

Yes! My favourite show at the moment, closely followed by The Americans and Fargo.

4 Likes

And? Reviews have been glowing, and I liked the book, so I intend to watch it very soon.

4 Likes