Whatcha Watchin'?

Good to know. I got part of the way through season 1 and just stopped watching. The premise was a bit too ridiculous for me.

4 Likes

Maybe a guilty pleasue, but I really liked what happend with Legion, a lot of experimenting in the super hero genre. Closest TV has come to a Philip K Dick story.

7 Likes

If it wasnā€™t obvious, The Handmaidā€™s Tale should come with every trigger warning. Thereā€™s some additional material* that takes it from the bookā€™s quiet horror to devastating.

Itā€™s gorgeous ā€“ but itā€™s Vermeer through the hell filter.

• Itā€™s like Atwood and the other producers brainstormed all of their esprit dā€™escalier and added them in, because no punches are pulled. None.
13 Likes

Soā€¦ I wonder how much recent script revision has been going on at Agents of SHIELD. A certain set looked a lot like dictator chic, and some of the phrases being used are a wee bit on the nose.

4 Likes

Starting May 1st, there will be new episodes of Lucifer. Of course, Iā€™ll be at work that night :rage:, but Iā€™ll be watching it the next day for sureā€¦

6 Likes

Thatā€™s what I thought about Fortitude.

On the one hand, there has never been anything like this on TV.

On the other hand, if you tell anybody to watch it you may be harming them.

5 Likes

A movie, not a show; The Girl With All The Gifts. Hewes pretty closely to the book, but thatā€™s not a bad thing. Definitely worth watching, despite some uneven child acting.

1 Like

Iā€™m really enjoying ā€˜13 Reasons Whyā€™ - its really good! Iā€™m not sure I fully understand the drama around it, or believe that its triggering anyone or making youths more suicidalā€¦ its just a really good murder mystery.

Full Disclosure: MrPants canā€™t watch it. He finds it very sad and upsetting. So, I guess it is triggering and Iā€™m just a soulless person.

8 Likes

For the record: I do not think you are a soulless person. And mrs nothingfuture really seems to enjoy that show.

But I canā€™t be in the room when itā€™s on.

8 Likes

Interesting. Maybe this is a gender thing? I think it captures the horror of being a teenage girl in highschool very well. Perhaps it is that that you and MrPants are reacting to?

5 Likes

Iā€™m currently re-watching Fringe on DVD.

Itā€™s still a Thumbs Up from me; knowing what I know now, Iā€™m revising my impression from my first watch-through that the first few episodes are too episodic and disconnected from the overall plot arc.

Although sometimes I look at John Noble and see Denethor instead of Walter Bishop, which is odd. Still, Noble is the best part of Fringe: the many different Walter Bishops he can portray at a momentā€™s notice, from lonely old man, to kooky guy on psychedelics, to haughty, superior genius, to someone haunted by the dark deeds of his pastā€¦ And he can be all of those in the same scene. Itā€™s absolutely incredible.

8 Likes

Outcast is an adaptation of a supernatural horror comic about exorcists in rural West Virginia.

They cast Brent Spiner in a key role, and it took me a whole year to stop seeing Data.

7 Likes

I hadnā€™t heard of Fortitude. I see there were two seasons, separated by two years. Is the first season complete in itself?

At the risk of turning this thread into ā€œWhat Creeped You Out?ā€, I nominate Buried as the anti-feel-good movie of 2010.

But the movie that most disturbed me in recent years, probably ever, was Compliance. No zombies, aliens, serial killers, or blood, just the reality of psychological manipulation and ruined lives.

2 Likes

To add one more data point, Iā€™m okay with violence and gore, but I wonā€™t willingly watch shows dealing with the death of a child or, especially, the suicide of a young person.

6 Likes
  • Halt and Catch Fire
  • Twin Peaks
  • Netflix

HCF is a fun blend of just-enough tech and drama between absolutely compelling characters (Boz and Donna, Iā€™d watch them all day and if Cameron showed up thatā€™d be rad) thatā€™s set in a time period I remember with a surprisingly good musical selection.

Also, I like putting french phrases into Google Translate and having the French Google Lady read them back to me. Surprisingly soothing.

https://translate.google.com/#fr/en/SystĆØme%20Universitaire%20de%20Documentation

EDIT: Twin Peaks speaks for itselfā€¦

8 Likes

Well that would be kombaya.

3 Likes

I couldnā€™t finish Behind the Candelabra, the emotional abuse was too much for me.

2 Likes

I watched the last two seasons of The Leftovers (HBO) and I found it quite intriguing. I never read the book but I find the premise interesting and it is an excellent foil for exploration of religion. Third season just started and Iā€™m already wrapped up again. But whatā€™s up with the new opening song?!?

3 Likes

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 last night, in a double bill with the first film.

I donā€™t want to say too much and potentially spoiler it, and iā€™ve never liked reviewing thing (blame school book reports), but if you liked the first one, you should like this too.

11 Likes

Good.

2 Likes