Whatcha Watchin'?

Kathleen Freeman had such a long and great career as one of the best character actresses ever. And when I recently discovered Sister Michael and “Derry Girls”, I was struck by the resemblance of Sister Michael to Sister Mary Stigmata. Especially when James, the only male student in the school, calls Sr. Michael “the small angry penguin woman” in one episode.

1 Like

Wow. Hundreds of credits from the 1940s to the 2000s in pretty much everything. That is impressive. From Sergeant Carter’s mother to Peg Bundy’s mother and beyond in both directions.

2 Likes

I recently found her in this, from a low-budget filler from 1951; she must’ve fallen on hard times. Also, she was an out lesbian. Me, I love her smile.

Also: not trying to start a discussion on blackface, okay?

1 Like

I love this movie. My baby dad and daughter started watching this waaaaay to young for her b/c there is a ton of language in there, but it is so damn funny that it’s worth it.

2 Likes

I’m currently binging KotH; this speech is just one more reason that Bobby is my favorite character, just barely above Bill (such an underdog he is!).

1 Like
1 Like

I’ve been re-watching Married With Children. Just finished the first season.

I still think of it as the beginning of ‘trash TV’ and when we went from happy-go-lucky perfect sitcom families to the more cynical and sarcastic dysfunctional sitcom families. And yeah, a lot of it is them insulting each other. But they all take it in stride, accept it, nobody gets upset or anything. It’s just their dynamic.

I typically think of it in terms of the shows that were on at that time like Growing Pains and Family Ties and stuff, which is why it seems so different. But it’s really more like All In The Family, which certainly had its share of insulting and bickering. It’s not quite that high on ideals, but it sure gets the humor.

And so far every episode has some real laugh-out-loud moments. It’s actually really quite fun. I’ve missed that sort of “just sit back and laugh” time. And this still brings it.

3 Likes

Also tonight I tried Coherence (2013). It wasn’t very coherent. Or really very good. I don’t know why it’s rated 7.2 on IMDB.

It did have some ideas that could’ve been interesting, but presented with poor acting and direction. You just don’t really care about any of the people. And the ‘surprise’ ending doesn’t really matter.

I wish I’d watched one of the other movies on my list instead.

3 Likes
1 Like

After my time, but still…it’s pop culture, so I’m gonna pay attention, lul.

2 Likes

I recently discovered this channel. It fulfills my need for laughter.

2 Likes

I strongly encourage you-all to watch this; it’s right up there with the work of Jim Henson!

I never follow standup comedians and I never watched SNL. So I was only vaguely aware of Norm MacDonald. But this is one of those TV moments that is emblazoned in my memory.

Although in my memory he did actually win. I forgot about Kato Kaelin too.

1 Like

DO not watch this if you’re hungry. I watched a review of it, & the reviewer said that, & I didn’t believe him.

I couldn’t watch it when I was younger because it just seemed so sad. But now I know what poignancy is. And DeLuise is a fine actor, not just a comedian; kind of like how Don Rickles was in dramatic roles.

1 Like

Tonight I watched Duel (1971).

It’s been on my list for quite awhile, and it is highly rated, and in almost all the trucker/road-trip movie lists. Also, I discovered, it was the first ever Steven Spielberg movie.

It’s a really slow burn, not at all like modern movies, but that kinda helps build the suspense and uncertainty. The sense of isolation and terror and helplessness and mystery just grows gradually throughout the movie. Everything is laser-focused. And the ending is great.

I quite liked it, but I’d have a hard time recommending it due to how slow and limited/focused it is. It’s great for its moments of intensity, but also, it’s mostly kinda dull. If you’re in the mindspace to just sit back and relax and let it play out, then you’re going to enjoy it. But if you’re wanting quick intense action, or more depth and criss-crossing plotlines, this ain’t that.

It’s pretty-much a straight ride, with only a couple of detours, that just happens to be a rough ride. Which makes it good and interesting, but maybe not for everyone.

5 Likes

3 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

This is fascinating for me. Even though it’s about an industry that, in most if not all aspects, is responsible for the majority of climate change we’re now experiencing, as well as a bunch of other negative effects on society.

But it being about AMC…well, not so much as the Big Three, LOL!

2 Likes