Whatcha Watchin'?

The talking over a Black man continues apace, but yeah, how relatively civilized whitesplaining was back then.

2 Likes

The chess game.

ā€¦ supernatural horror show that spent too much money on A-list talent in roles that would actually have been better served by less familiar faces

3 Likes

Itā€™s directed by the son of Michael Eisner, who actively asked him about what was ā€œcoolā€ and what wasnā€™t when it came to teen-oriented activities at Disneyworld.

All because Mario Puzo wrote a novel so he could make enough money to cover his gambling debts.

2 Likes

I like how the Leutonians celebrate Christmas, except for the dishes that contain cabbage as an ingredient.

Iā€™d call it halfway decent

Iā€™ve already forgotten the ending, but I remember I correctly predicted which character was secretly a bad guy five minutes after the movie started

2 Likes

Tonight I discovered a most wonderful movie. It Happened on 5th Avenue. Itā€™s hilarious and so full of warmth and heart, Iā€™ve designated it as my new Christmas classic. I donā€™t know how I missed it all these years. Wish I could watch it with my mom, she wouldā€™ve loved it.

Not to give any spoilers for a 75 year old movie, but the basic premise is that thereā€™s a homeless guy, and when the second-richest man in the world goes away to his winter house down south every fall, the homeless guy sneaks into his empty mansion up north. This year, he ends up inviting some other vagrants in to stay too. But a few of them are not who they pretend to be. Hilarity ensues, along with a lot of happiness. Definitely recommended!

And previously, clocking in at 82 years old, was The Shop Around The Corner. Another Christmas classic, starring James Stewart as a salesman working in a small shop. The shop hires a new woman who he has to work with, and they hate each other. As the Christmas season is getting underway, things are a bit tense.

But luckily he has a bright spot in his life, a pen pal, some mystery woman that heā€™s been writing to and is falling in love with from her letters. He decides to meet up with her after work, but gets fired that day and canā€™t face her. Coincidentally, the woman he canā€™t stand at work also decided to meet up with her pen pal that night, the guy sheā€™s been falling in love with through his letters.

Itā€™s a fun rom-com. Thereā€™s a couple of bits that probably wouldnā€™t be played quite the same way today, but overall it holds up well. Definitely worth it if you like classic movies, James Stewart, and/or are tired of the other standard Christmas movies.

And previously, 8-bit Christmas. This is basically A Christmas Story, but set in the late '80s and instead of a Red Ryder BB gun, the kid really wants a Nintendo Entertainment System. Itā€™s a nice relaxing movie and good if you like A Christmas Story but have seen it so many times you want something new. The ending is a little different and might make you tear up a bit, but in a good way.

3 Likes

I love Victor Moore in IHoFSA! Itā€™s just wonderful!

Did you know TSAtC was remade into ā€œThe Good Old Summertimeā€ with Judy Garland and Van Johnson?

And I know nothing about 8BC.

4 Likes

8-Bit Christmas is very, very good. It presents a different sort of Americana than A Christmas Story, but all of the essential elements are there.

By contrast:

This is a bit of a mixed bag. On one hand, I think itā€™s probably the best sequel to A Christmas Story. but on the other hand it is incredibly weighed down by its relationship to it.

The positives: Most of the cast (with some notable exceptions) reprise their roles from the original. It has much of the same charm. The ending is fitting, and quite nice.

The negatives: It is so completely beholden to the original that nearly every scene is in some way a reproduction of a scene from the other movie, and they go out of their way to prove it by either using a clip from that movie or otherwise lingering on some detail as if to say, ā€œHey, remember the thing? We did the thing!ā€ The end result, at least for me, was to remind me of the movie Iā€™d rather be watching.

Itā€™s an interesting companion piece to the original, but it does not really enhance or supersede it in any way. Iā€™d only recommend it if youā€™ve already watched the original and 8-bit Christmas recently.

4 Likes

This is, as you might expect from the title, a fairy tale. Like the original old-school fairy tales, itā€™s got some darkness and part of it is quite bleak indeed. Thereā€™s also a Christmas tree and a snowman, and Santa Claus actually plays an important part toward the end, so it is a holiday movie.

The creepy atmosphere and suspense are really well done. It is a little slow, but that serves to reinforce the atmosphere and make the tense moments more intense.

3 Likes

Sounds Grimm to me.

3 Likes
1 Like

Iā€™ve heard plenty of references to this movie in my life, so I knew the basic premise, but Iā€™d never actually seen it before. So I decided to check it out. Everything about it - the clothes, the cars, the pacing, the grainy film, was so classic 70s.

It was mostly comforting, relaxing, with just a few odd moments mixed in that make you realize something is not quite right. Kind of like everythingā€™s normal and good except a couple of uncanny valley scenes that make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. It makes you want to keep watching to see more.

You know itā€™s not right, but donā€™t know whatā€™s going to happen. And then came the climax and the ending. Which was not what I expected.

Definitely can see why this is a classic.

4 Likes

It caused quite the stir when it came out. I was 11 when it was released and aware of said stir, but since it involved adults, I didnā€™t get it.

And again in ā€œYouā€™ve Got Mailā€ with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

3 Likes

Rifftrax: Nightmare At Noon (Missing Rifftrax VOD - HD Remaster)

If you know a 58-year-old Danny Muldoon, send 'em my way!

I enjoy this flick, mostly because I love Mako; but after finding out that Joe Piscopo supported Trump AND performed at an event organized by Mike Lindell, watching him have his ass handed to him by Chuck Norris makes it even more fun!

1 Like