Whatcha Watchin'?

It’s kind of amazing that it’s Jay Duplass’s first real acting gig, isn’t it? He’s really been the stand out performance on that show, imho.

3 Likes

The Duplass brothers were also in The Mindy Project. But yes, they’re both better known as directors, but have acting chops as well.

4 Likes

This is my one for the “guilty pleasure” list.

2 Likes

Apropos of nothing, but there is an episode of United States of Tara where the family goes on an outing to Lawrence, KS from Overland Park, KS. Having grown up in this area, it struck me how much of a big deal they made it out to be. It’s hardly a 5 minute trip, but it’s under an hour (~45 minutes) and people travel to and from there every day without complaint. I figured it was a matter of the writer(s) looking at the distance and applying their own local experiences for how long it takes to travel that, not taking into account that Kansas roads may be less congested.

It’s rare that a movie or television show is set in Kansas, so I rarely get to turn a critical eye towards details like that. On the other hand, Hacking/Technology as portrayed gives me plenty of opportunities to nitpick.

6 Likes

Yes - and I love Mark as one of the “midwives” and in their movies (and in other stuff, too), but I never really got a sense of Jay as a performer, so he was a real pleasant surprise in Transparent!

1 Like

You must have loved (hated)

2 Likes

I haven’t seen it. Is it any good, aside from likely geographical/regional errors?

I have seen:

It has some issues, but it avoids most problems by actually filming on location.

4 Likes

I liked it. I assume it was shot in California.

2 Likes

I didn’t watch it but I’m assuming we can add smallville to @LockeCJ list.

1 Like

I’m not sure why this is a guilty pleasure, Dave Gorman’s great!

1 Like

Not sure why any of it was so just picked a program.

I watched all 10 seasons.

It mostly gets a pass for being a purposefully fictional Kansas, although one where anyone (not just Superman) could just pop back and forth between Smallville and Metropolis in no time at all. Sort of the opposite of that episode of United States of Tara in a way.

Smallville had many problems. It’s depiction of Kansas is a fairly minor one. The fact that the main character doesn’t fly (as Superman) until the final episode is chief among them.

2 Likes

Just watched:

It’s good; the most honest and accurate war film in quite some time, IMO.

A lot of the critics seem to dislike it, but it looks to me as if they just didn’t get it. They’re criticising it for being an unfunny comedy or an unsatisfying drama.

But it isn’t intended to be either comedy or drama. It’s tragedy.

4 Likes

I watched the first few episodes when it was new.

I spent a bit of time wondering if it was intended as parody, but then realised that they were serious. Astonishingly badly made.

1 Like

GoT S1 and S2 so far on Amazon, thumbs up.

Excellent swords and proper sandals, looking forward to moar dragons.

3 Likes

What were its, let’s say, two biggest shortcomings?

2 Likes

It was a long time ago, but my recollection is primarily of cartoonishly clunky scriptwriting and high-school drama club acting quality.

2 Likes

Guilty pleasures, round 2: just finished watching Sharknado 4.

Seriously.

Like I said upthread, I have no taste. :wink:

If you’re willing to accept that the movie has no sense or logic whatsoever (Dustnado? Bouldernado?? Firenado??? Lightningnado??? Nuclearnado???) then it’s silly enough for a laugh or three. I must be getting out of touch since I didn’t recognize half of the cameos this time around.

4 Likes

I just finished watching Eating Raoul. It has a very 80’s feel and the comedy still works. The snooty nerdy couple getting in over their heads - so well done. A good family movie (if your family would enjoy a comedy involving perverse sexual fetishes and routine murder).

3 Likes

Well then it’s spoiler time!

1 Like