Whatcha Watchin'?

I binge-watched all 20 series a few years ago. The early episodes were pretty rough but the team were pretty human in that they showed stress and sadness. By the end they were phoning it in and probably could have just used cardboard cutouts of themselves.

2 Likes

We watched that for years. My kids can mock it perfectly:

ā€œThat looks like a posthole, Phil.ā€
ā€œNo way, Mick, itā€™s not brown enough.ā€

My favourite line from the show (I forget who said it): ā€œOne rock is a rock. Two rocks is a Norman castle.ā€

7 Likes

Just binged like the first 4 episodes of the show. Itā€™s great so far. Theyā€™ve changed just enough that I recognize them all!

I KNOW! How about Abdullah the Butcher, too. Iā€™m sure I could think of more if I put my mind to itā€¦ I think in the show the executive producer sort of nails the intent of employing those stereotypes, but the director sort of wants to try and make it social satire. It wasnā€™t surprising that the wrestler playing Welfare Queen was uncomfortable with her persona. Cherryā€™s husband seems to think that the director is more sexist than racist. The actual GLOW director (Matt Climber) must have had similar pretentions - he directed a bunch of blaxplotation films, including (apparently) Samuel L. Jacksonā€™s favorite (The Candy Tangerine Man, which Iā€™ve never seen).

It sort of puts me in mind of a documentary called Machette Maidens Unleashed, which is aboutā€¦ I think Liberty might have been the production company? who made exploitation films of various kinds in the Philippines. They interviewed the great Pam Grier in it, and she noted that, yes the films were exploitative (she did some women in prison type films for the company), but there was literally no one else who would cast 4 women (especially women of color) as leads in hollywood at the time (late 60s into the 70s). Oddly, Iā€™m getting the same vibe from this show - the main character (Ruth) is struggling in hollywood to find decent roles, but she and the other women finds opportunities in a place which has some questionable ideas.

Anyoneā€¦ so far, so good!

5 Likes

I love it.

Honestly, I donā€™t know if there is any show Iā€™m embarrassed to admit watchingā€¦ I mean, I just admitted that I used to love pro wrestling as a kid, soā€¦ :wink:

If I think of something people would find embarrassing, Iā€™ll note it!

5 Likes

I watched the whole first season of Lucifer, even though it is absolutely, even deliberately, terrible.

4 Likes

Hey, I like Lucifer! Itā€™s definitely not the comic book, and itā€™s not the smartest show by a long shot. I never intended to get into it. But I was cooking when the first episode came on, and I didnā€™t have a chance to change the channel right away. Tom Ellis was enjoying himself so much chewing the scenery as the lead, I got hooked.

Yeah, itā€™s all about the performance. Riiiiiight. :blush:

The mystery parts of the show tend to be sadly predictable. The season arcs deal more with the supernatural-soap-opera angles, and I like them better. I guess itā€™s my guilty pleasure. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

:question: :grey_question: :question:

I didnā€™t see your answerā€¦ but itā€™s okay if you donā€™t agree, or wanna tell me Iā€™m wrong. Iā€™ll admit it, I have no taste. :wink: That showā€™s a guilty pleasure of mine, thatā€™s all. It really is kinda crappy. But I have fun watching it.

3 Likes

I was trying to compose something about how adorable Tom Ellis is :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: and how without him the show is nothing.

Season 3 should just be Tom Ellis reading a phone book. It would be cheaper to produce.

6 Likes

It could work. Iā€™d probably tune in. :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Me too! And yes, as already said, Tom Ellis is the reason to watch the show. The plots and mysteries are just good enough to not be distracting.

4 Likes

My guilty pleasure viewing is Say Yes to Dress, preferably with an anchovy/meatball pizza and a pint of Ben and Jerryā€™s Phish Food froyo.

2 Likes

I watched and am already rewatching I LOVE DICK.

Itā€™s on Amazon Prime & is Jill Solowayā€™s latest. Itā€™s based on a book of the same name, written about 20 years ago. It stars Kathryn Hahn, Griffin Dunne, & Kevin Bacon.

I donā€™t know anyone else who has watched it & I am fascinated by it. Itā€™s utterly feminist, queer, & I love it.

1 Like

I started watching and didnā€™t get very far into it. I love Transparent though and at first the characters in that really grated, so once I found out it was Jill Solaway, Iā€™ve been thinking of giving it another go.

2 Likes

I canā€™t really articulate why I find it so profound - but I am completely moved by it & how unapologetic the women in it become.

3 Likes

Chiming in on the unexpected Lucifer love.

Ellis does make the show, no question; the rest is all eye candy.

3 Likes

From what I know, heā€™s a sexist, bigoted douchebag; Samuel Lā€™s favs be damned.

Many kids in the 80ā€™s did; thereā€™s no shame in it, unless you think the fighting & grudges between characters are realā€¦

:wink:

4 Likes

ROUND 2: Hoarders.

5 Likes

Watched 3 episodes last night - oh, think it is so interesting how she is in transformation and affecting everyone around her. It definitely resonates with me.

2 Likes

They have a transgender parent in real life, and identify as nonbinary. This was loosely based on their real life experience, which makes it even better. I loved United States Of Tara, but this show is even better because itā€™s truer.

Jay Duplass is in the show as well. Iā€™ve always loved his mumblecore stuff, and this show definitely qualifies. It seems to be driven more heavily by dialogue and interpersonal relationships than plot, from what Iā€™ve seen of it. This style doesnā€™t sit well with a lot of people, because the emotionality hits too close to home, and because it isnā€™t the pure goofy entertainment that plot-driven shows tend to be.

4 Likes

United States of Tara was amazing. Itā€™s funny because my husband, who usually doesnā€™t like the shows I do, also loved it. I think because Toni Collette is just so damn good.

5 Likes