Whatcha Watchin'?

oof, wow – that’s bad, but it’s a freaking academy award winner compared to Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II. i’m not joking.

2 Likes

I’ll have to look into that one.

2 Likes

STEEL YOURSELF, that’s all i can advise.

3 Likes

Anybody else actually watch this?

IN MY OPINION: It was bad. Painfully bad.

The general concept was fine, but the actual script? Not believable. Not clever. Plodding and awkward. The acting isn’t great either.

3 Likes

Decades has been running a Laugh In marathon, and I’ve been catching bits and pieces of it all day. It’s fascinating, as it’s very much a reflection of its time (which I don’t recall since I was only born in '72.) Plus the actors and actresses are talented, and funny, and it looks like they were having a blast filming it.

7 Likes

Very interesting…

4 Likes

Look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls.

6 Likes

I’m watching GLOW, the netflix series about the cheeseball 80’s women’s wrestling tv show, and I’m pretty surprised at how good it is.

Oh, Laugh In was all kinds of awesome; I used to catch it in syndication as a teenager.

7 Likes

Right now I am watching Terror in Resonance. Good so far.

3 Likes

My father and I used to love watching the original GLOW. I remember how wacky it was, with corny skits and crazy characters. My dad liked watching for… other reasons… most likely the skimpy costumes. :roll_eyes:

When the new GLOW comes out on DVD I’m going to have to catch up. I’ve heard some very good things about it.

6 Likes

I think I’m going to try and convince the family it’s time to watch this next (we just wrapped up iZombie).

And if you haven’t seen it, this is a great documentary about GLOW (and @Nightflyer) which is also on Netflix (there seems to be a ton of documentaries on pro wrestling in the past couple of years, actually):

http://glowthemovie.com/

I used to watch GLOW as a kid. I loved how campy it was.

5 Likes

It was SO GOOD. My daughter and I binged it. Then watch the documentary about it and it’s SCARY how accurate it is to the actual show.

6 Likes

Same here, ladies.

I remember disliking some of the obvious bigoted stereotypes, but overall I enjoyed the show for it’s campiness.

I’ll have to check it out…

3 Likes

God, pro wrestling in general was filled with them. I could probably write a dissertation on that topic, honestly speaking.

Oh, that’s neat that they did that!

5 Likes

The women were very touching in their relationships.

There were a couple of older women who made money doing “private wrestling videos.” Couldn’t figure out if this was a kind of fetish thing or if it was just straight up a thing people liked to have a video of them wrestling a GLOW star.

4 Likes

True, enough (fuckin’ Junk Yard Dog & the Iron Sheik) but I guess it was more noticeable when the characters were female, and therefore supposedly more “relatable” to me as a woman.

More than anyone else I remember Mount Fiji and Dementia (whom I guess the character “Sheila the She-wolf” is based off.)

4 Likes

It’s just as dumb as it always has been and I’m fully expecting the current story line to end with Goku winning thanks to a new hairstyle like always and then him wishing everyone back to life, but I’m actually enjoying Dragonball Super.

I think it’s because the fighters from the other universes (It’ll take too long to explain) are somewhat more interesting than the heroes we’re familiar with.

3 Likes

It’s the sort of thing Netflix shoves in your face and I always skip over, but I read a couple of glowing (ahem) reviews so I watched an episode. It really is good, with good dialogue and a great cast, especially Alison Brie. I’m up to Episode 8 or thereabouts.

Most of the shows I was watching recently have ended for the season. It’s a long seven days between Orphan Black episodes, but at least GoT has started again. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good drama series? Based on good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, I watched the first episode of Wynonna Earp, but I was unimpressed, to put it mildly.

4 Likes

My current guilty pleasure. Don’t judge. Any show that has cooking-show montages of brain preparation, or chapter headings like “Bloodbath and Beyond” appeals to my juvenile tastes. I’m about halfway through Season 3.

Okay, folks, I’ve shown you mine, now show me yours. What shows have you been too embarrassed to cop to so far? We’re all friends here, right? Mockery will be kept to the bare minimum.

5 Likes

Time Team. Possibly my favourite reality show ever. There’s something truly endearing about a bunch of people digging up a field and finding all this cool historical stuff – or, sometimes, they don’t find any cool historical stuff and talk about why archaeology is still such a crap shoot. That the show went on for twenty years and that they worked in all sorts of weather adds to the appeal.

It does make me wonder why every British farmer just doesn’t have all their fields scanned with ground radar to have done with, though. Seems life you can’t walk more than 500m without stepping over a Roman villa.

7 Likes