Whatcha Watchin'?

Sold!!!

3 Likes

Oh! And Sam Waterston with an awesome mustache… It’s on the Netflix!

3 Likes

Scoot’s also playing the missing kid’s father on the latest True Detective.

3 Likes

I loved it. Hit all the points I want in a wsetern.

2 Likes

I followed Dr. Don Shirley’s family’s advice, and watched Green Book in a way that does not benefit the producers, pirate streaming.

Yup, like The Help, it’s just another white man’s feel-good story that doesn’t come close to showing how bad things were/are in the south, and promotes the false narrative that with a little understanding, black and white can all be friends (nothing about fixing the broken system, nothing about reparations, nothing really substantiative about the birth of the green book itself).

It’s a shame. So many fine actors wasting their efforts on this film.

8 Likes

Alternatively, At Eternity’s Gate is a fine film, depicting Van Gogh’s time spent in Arles.

Though not pin-point accurate in the telling …really, how can any version be? It is definitely more of a love letter than a documented piece. Still, it goes with the narrative that is supported by recent historical discoveries, and was a pleasure to watch for its more common sense approach to Van Gogh and his relationships to other people.

6 Likes

And what about Glass? For all Shayamalan’s faults, I loved The Sixth Sense, really liked Unbreakable, and was pretty good with Split. I’m sure he’s put some thought into the third in the trilogy, and I’m really curious to see how Price’s machinations play out in this showdown. Ia anyone else interested in this one?

5 Likes

Never read the books. So far the series is nothing special :-1:

If they’re going to do a “realistic vampire story” in 2019, it’s at least gotta be better than Helix and The Strain.

2 Likes

Darkly funny Fyre Festival documentary tweet:

4 Likes

So the two documentaries are each 90 minutes long and came out within 48 hours of each other.

I guess I’ll watch the “earlier” one first :confused:

2 Likes

One thing that struck me in the Netflix Fyre doc was the wide-angle shots in the Tuscany Hotel — some of them were 120° or 135° or something, a subject on one side of the frame looking at the camera and another subject on the other side looking sideways but really they’re looking at each other and their faces and bodies were not distorted at all. That seemed like really good work. (A lot of video people don’t even know which lenses they’re supposed to use.) I assume it was that guy “Kindo” and his assistants.

6 Likes

We just finished binge watching all 7 seasons of GoT. All I can say is Cerci should’ve stopped making decisions somewhere in season 2 - every one of hers ends in disaster. A one-woman fail machine has driven about 75% of the plot. I’m not loving this show as much as other people seem to. The swearing for the sake of swearing, and boobs for the sake of boobs added nothing to the storytelling.

Also finished Stranger Things. I really like this show, and I’m bummed season 3 doesn’t start until July.

9 Likes

I’m halfway through Season 7; she’s been shockingly competent thus far in the latest season. Admittedly, most of that is because of Team Dany’s inexplicable unpreparedness for Euron Greyjoy to wield his own Iron Fleet against them, for which the only credit that can be given to Cersei is “good choice of allies, finally.”

6 Likes

cersei-sad-face-regal

She’s a horrible person, but I still love her in the show (book Cersei, not nearly so much).

I think the only reason she allied with Euron was to make Jaime jealous… that will backfire on her…

Anyway… Lyanna Mormont for the Iron Throne, 2019!!!

lyanna-mormont-glare-horse

8 Likes

yes, her, or the Onion Knight. everyone else is a disaster waiting to happen, i think. i take that back – Sansa Stark would do ok too.

3 Likes

Even if that’s the case, it’s the first politically or militarily shrewd move I’ve seen her make in… well, ever, so far as I can recall.

She really is the best character on the show.

6 Likes

I do agree with you guys about Lyanna! At age 9 or 10, she’s the most competent sovereign in the series. I’m also really liking Bran’s transformation. It’s the most interesting arc in the series for me.

7 Likes

Natasha Lyonne in Russian Doll, which looks pretty interesting from the first episode. Think Groundhog Day set in NYC.

5 Likes

What’s really fun is that literally none of the plot would have happened without Littlefinger. Every major event that has happened so far in the show is down to him fucking with all of the other characters in the pursuit of his own, personal gain. All of the bad judgment calls, every instance of pride leading to someone’s demise, the whole power struggle; all Littlefinger, whispering in people’s ears. And now he’s dead…

6 Likes

Not entirely true. I imagine that pretty much everything that happened to Daenerys up until the arrival of Tyrion would have been the same, even had Littlefinger not been involved. Remember, everyone (except for Ned) agreed on the assassination plot.

And most of the stuff north of the Wall would have happened, too (and probably would have turned out much worse without Stannis).

5 Likes