Whatcha Watchin'?

I’ve been watching those restoration videos, too. I though he was a bit pretentious, but I suppose that’s actually skewed towards normal given the field he’s in.
I enjoy them a lot.

3 Likes

I’m currently binging Maniac on Netflix.

It’s different; I’m not invested enough yet to say whether I like it or not, but certain aspects are quite fascinating so far.

6 Likes

I want to be excited about this except frankly the series already went on too long

probably should have stopped at the end of S03

maybe they could cast Tatiana Maslany in something else?

5 Likes

Yeah, as much as I FLUV that show, I have to agree that they dragged it out for way too long.

It’s like the writers got carried away trying to come up with a bigger badder ‘Big Bad,’ and forgot that they still needed to suspend disbelief and tell a coherent narrative.

Also, Tatiana Maslany was an absolute phenomenon in the series; I constantly forgot I was watching just one woman play all these different characters.

I don’t know how many other actors could pull that off. Frankly, I’m not sure I want to see anyone try.

Also, just because its so awesome, here’s the Orphan Black farewell ‘dance party’…

5 Likes

I vote for that. Orphan Black got so complicated I couldn’t follow it, at least with the number of brain cycles I wanted to devote to it. I stopped after beginning Season 3.

Too violent too.

3 Likes

It got overly weird but Tatiana Masley - I just watched for her and gave up on the plot.

4 Likes

Samesies.

4 Likes

I agree; Tatiana Masley was fabulous. But I always try to follow the plot of anything serious I watch, to the point I can’t do anything else while watching. And if it doesn’t make sense I get antsy, and don’t want to watch anymore. For example, the show Humans made a lot of sense to me, and was low key without too much violence to boot. I loved that show . . .

. . . that is, until they ruined it by having human/android half-breeds. I mean, come on. I can’t believe the two can interbreed. No way!

2 Likes

I tried watching that show and fell asleep on the pilot ep… twice.

2 Likes

Wow! We want different things from shows! :laughing:

1 Like

Definitely a mixed bag. Some of the episodes are brilliant, others feel like filler.
I do like the retro-future set design.

3 Likes

From what I could tell watching her on The Daily Show, the “real Tatiana” seems to be mostly Cosima with little flashes of Alison popping out once in a while. Alison is like Tatiana’s self-consciousness.

5 Likes

Holy shit, David Lynch did it again! Just wrapped up the final episode and one could argue it ends on something of a cliffhanger with Carrie Page realizing she’s an alternate dimension Laura Palmer(?)… and Cooper not knowing what year it was. I also wished we got some closure for poor Audrey. But mostly, the imagery was beautiful, the way Lynch just lets scenes play out are both stilted but also naturalistic, and the constant dropping in of new characters was interesting. And I’m super happy that Norma and Big Ed finally got together! I honestly can say that despite seeming that Lynch gave us yet another cliff hanger ending, it felt a far more satisfying ending than the original. I’m glad we got resolution on BOB, as well as his origin story, which HOLY SHIT EPISODE 8 WAS A GOD DAMN MASTER PIECE… I do wonder if the ending was really about a continuation of the story in an alternate dimension, that the evil that surrounded Laura was somehow excised from on reality, but just visited upon another?

Any one else watch it? What’s your thoughts?

3 Likes

Finally caught up with Deliberately Confusing Detective, or Unsympathetic Protagonist Detective, or Two Hours of Story Spread Out Over Eight Hours of Viewing Time Detective, or whatever that was :tired_face:

4 Likes

I think the point is that it’s character studies, rather than emphasizing the crimes; but I’m fine with that.

2 Likes

Sleepy time detective.

1 Like

8 Likes

I kind of prefer Twilight Detective, as a direct reference to senility – and age.

4 Likes

Well, only 3 (?) episodes left for Gotham (final season, right?).

For its formulaic faults, I really enjoyed the production values and creativity of this show, as well as the pantheon of villains, canon or not. So many top-notch actors for a decidedly campy production, too.

5 Likes

I’m only in season 4 I think and I need to find blocks of time that I can binge at least three or four episodes and I’m in the mood for the show.

But when that lines up, It is an entertaining show.

3 Likes