Whatcha Watchin'?

I sort of watched Stan & Ollie a couple of days ago while painting. Not a heart-wrenching drama, but the sentimentality does get to you a bit if your’e even the slightest Laurel & Hardy fan.
Big thumbs up to John C. Reilly and his team for nailing Oliver Hardy’s look and mannerisms. He even had the voice and phrasing down. Coogan was good too, but I didn’t feel transported.

6 Likes

Doom. Namor. Richards.

4 Likes

F4 or von Doom could absolutely be brought into the MCU immediately. They could start referencing Latveria as soon as Endgame.

I do hope that they give some time before trying to bring the X-Men into continuity, though (although bringing some Avengers into the next Deadpool movie might be fun).

Frankly, I’m more excited that the rights to both the master and the distribution rights for pre-Special-Edition Star Wars are all in the same hands (and not those of George Lucas). Disney could make a ton of money by remastering the theatrical version of Star Wars in HD, and releasing it on 4K Blu-Ray.

5 Likes

I am so fucking sick of X-men. My crystallizing hatred for all the X-movies makes Deadpool extra hilarious.

3 Likes

Eh. There have been decent ones and stinkers (although I hear Apocalypse was historically bad, and I have to question the competence of whoever decided to hire the writer behind The Last Stand to do a shot-for-shot remake of that film and call it Dark Phoenix).

3 Likes

truth. or just pay Harmy a ton of money and release his restored version.

4 Likes

…But then they’d actually have an honest accounting of how much the films cost to restore, and would have a harder time fudging the numbers to prevent paying out royalties to the actors who stand to earn money if the films ever end up showing a profit.

3 Likes

Love, Death and Robots.

I may watch it again.

6 Likes

Finally getting around to watching the most recent season of Doctor Who… I’m really happy to see episodes that are set during real historical events. They got away from that early on, in favor of less specific historical engagement. I’ve seen the episode with Rosa Parks, which was great, if not entirely historically accurate, and we’ll likely watch the one set during the partition of India tonight. I loved how they handled Ryan’s engagement with being a black man in the American south, especially his interactions with Mrs. Parks and the fact that he was the one to get rid of the guy from STORMCAGE (WHAT? HA! I assume everyone else caught that, too) and I suspect that they’ll give Yaz some similarly weighty engagement with the Partition story. I like that the cast feels very much like an ensemble so far. And the other episodes have been super fun, too… Did anyone catch in the spiders episode, when they were at the scientist’s lab, that there is a scene where the Doctor is talking to her and you can see Ryan over her shoulder, doing shadow puppets on the wall!!!

7 Likes

all the companions got a great episode this season, and it’s nice to see them exploring each of them. it makes the whole cast feel like a family. the episode that focuses on Yaz is also very good. i don’t know how historically accurate it is, but on a small, “individual person” level, it packs a punch.

6 Likes

looking forward to watching it!

also, glad to see so much running up and a down corridors! So much fun!!!

5 Likes

haven’t seen the actual films. Her explanation at 2m55s is most entertaining.

1 Like

Haven’t watched your video yet.

I’ve only seen the first Transformers movie, but I agree: I can only remember the vaguest details about it.

3 Likes

scifreaks anonymous
settle down

9 Likes

Me at 17: Return to Oz is a great film! It ties closer to the book and has gritty realism!

6 Likes

Just finished Umbrella Academy last night. The ending was unsatisfyingly abrupt. Otherwise, I thought it was really great.

8 Likes

well, it’s a season one wrap up, with a cliffhanger rolled in. i really enjoyed the whole season.

3 Likes

OMG, the Demons on the Punjab… well done! I’m really happy they’ve gone back to episodes set in history…

5 Likes

I thought this was interesting.

This episode order seems to be canon
https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80174608

but for me the series started with Episode 8 (Good Hunting), followed by Episodes 1 through 6 in sequence (that’s as far as I’ve got).

No doubt this says something profound about my personality, and if Netflix releases their algorithm I can save a bundle on therapy.

I’m enjoying the bite-size format, by the way. I don’t think the cartoonish stories could hold up if they were made longer.

3 Likes

I will admit that I have only watched the Scalzi episodes, so far.

Three Robots was fun, especially having read the story. Yogurt is almost a little too on the nose for our current reality. Alternate Histories? Meh.

2 Likes