Whatcha Watchin'?

I started with Witness.

When I watched LDR I didn’t realize that the episode order was one of four, so my thought on Witness was that it was okay but a definite way to say Yes. This is TV Mature and we mean it.

Rewatched the episodes I really liked and now I’m looking for the original Heavy Metal because I’m really in the mood for seeing the Loc-Nar again.

3 Likes

Even the characters who are not New Age cult leaders talk like New Age cult leaders :unamused:

6 Likes

Yup. I found The Leftovers to be more active at pissing me off, but OA is just ridiculous.

4 Likes

Don’t look up tea bagging.

3 Likes

i loved season one. it’s so bizarre – i didn’t realize season two had started. looking forward to catching up.

2 Likes

shoulda listened to you :anguished:

4 Likes

I love OA, too. Excited for the new season. Gonna binge this weekend.

3 Likes

I was going to comment on that show, but now I want to wait and hear what you thought first.

I didn’t mind the ending, because I saw the time reset coming.

S2 should be interesting to see how they reconcile the different timelines and being back in their younger bodies.

4 Likes

I didn’t realize until later that there was going to be another season. I can’t imagine how they’re going to handle the noticeable aging of the kids. I also can’t imagine how they’re going to restart Russian Doll, unless they are going to use a whole new cast.

3 Likes

it’s like a self-help book full of magical thinking written by a rich white person who bought drugs in an abandoned building once

6 Likes

Story of my life. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

you say you like the show, but you also like the terrible things i say about it :confused:

4 Likes

I love it. I am such the audience - yes, I know. I’m a terrible person who buys yoni eggs. No, not really. But I am that market.

7 Likes

Have you seen

the characters are flawed and corrupt but also are trafficking in actual wisdom that helps people

and they manage to keep it ambiguous whether the supernatural/pseudoscientific stuff is “real” or not

4 Likes

No…sounds interesting!

4 Likes

For Russian Doll, they kinda have to. There’s no point in watching it, otherwise.

I love the idea, but not the execution.

3 Likes

The other movies about near-death experiences I can think of are Brainstorm and Flatliners

2 Likes

Saw (and liked) the latter, but not the former.

Hideaway is another one, but it’s horrible.

3 Likes

Boogie Nights (the softcore version)

I remember an old episode of SCTV in which Earl Camembert referred to ABC as a T & A network. This show proves him right. I liked it, but mostly as a sort of ephemeral film (like the shorts that used to feature on MST3K, except my interest is more sociological than mocking).

Few would want to sit through this, so I’ll just list a few good/interesting points:

Nice nostalgic mostly disco soundtrack (who knew that there were disco covers of Pink Floyd?)
The women who get significant camera time apparently all under 25, the men over 40 (with the apparent exceptions of The Village People and Wayland Flowers. Hmmmmm…)
Wayland Flowers had another puppet besides Madame, who gets some of her material from the Popsicle Twins (watch Jim Brown start practicing his “I’m going to just pretend this isn’t happening” expression years before Kanye)
At least on camera, Hugh Hefner was a serious contender for the Least Interesting Man in the World.
Oh yeah, I promised some Boogie Nights, didn’t I? Well, the Village People end the affair with “Rock and Roll is Back Again” and “Ready for the 80’s” (oh dear) and Dorothy Stratten is successfully wooed by Richard Dawson (a happy ending).

3 Likes

On another note, I just figured out who Shadow Moon really is on American Gods.

4 Likes