Whatcha Watchin'?

I got the Alien quadrilogy (first four films) on DVD for cheap. This is the first time I’ve got to watch them without some blowhard who’s seem then a billion times talking over them and telling me what every shot “means”.

And you know what? They’re freaking good.

10 Likes

One and two? I totally agree.

Aliens Three?

Four?

6 Likes

I’m just in the middle of 2 now.

5 Likes

Aaaahhhhhhh! “Nuke it from orbit; only way to be sure” is a Ripley line!!!

See what blowhards make people miss when they lecture over films?

10 Likes

I think that one is actually my favorite in the series, despite the issue of brownface

(Vasquez was played by an Irish woman.)

To be fair, Hicks did repeat the line again, when he ended up in charge of the troop.

8 Likes

Yeah, I think they gradually decline as one goes along. 1 is outstanding, 2 still great but not as, I actually like 3, but we’ve sunk below great, and then there’s 4. I didn’t hate it, but didn’t like it either.

5 Likes

That’s true of most franchises, I think.

I didn’t hate it, per se… but I’d never recommend it to anyone, either.

5 Likes

I’ve always thought that the Alien franchise managed to keep it somewhat fresh for a time by slanting towards different genres. Technically, they’re all science fiction, but 1 is very horror, 2 is action, 3 is the one that feels the most sci-fi, by 4 it’s become fantasy.

Of course, I think Romero’s Living Dead series followed the same progression for the first 3 (never saw Land of the Dead) films, so my opinion may be suspect.

8 Likes

I don’t know if this is a good video for everyone, as it’s 45 minutes long, but the first couple of minutes are worth it for anyone, since it’s so realistic looking. The guy is really, really talented, and though his channel is a little niche, I think all of his videos are hypnotic and inspiring.

6 Likes

Once they decided to bring Ripley back even though she died in the previous film, there were only a few ways to take that marketing decision and turn it into a movie, most of them potentially awful.

I thought the way they dealt with it was OK, about the best that could be expected anyway. And it continued the tradition of handing the franchise off to a different established creepshow director each time. Jean-Pierre Jeunet did his job.

The problems with Alien Resurrection were really the result of decisions made in Alien3 – decisions that made it almost impossible to make any more decent sequels after that.

6 Likes

I thought Resurrection had some truly magnificent moments (the fight on the ladder and the chase where the alien’s swimming after the heroes are two that I remember), but was overall a bit weak. But it’s been years since I’ve seen any of the Alien movies. My mom and I used to enjoy watching them together, and since she passed, I haven’t really felt like watching them again. Someday I will.

6 Likes

Amazing. I wonder how long it takes for him to complete that diorama.

4 Likes

I don’t know. He’s been doing it for awhile, so he’s got the technique down. And I don’t know if he builds them for a train layout. If he does, I’d love to see it.

3 Likes

Me too!

I must say, I prefer to read about such things in a magazine than watch a video about it. Video’s too linear – you can stop it, back up, fast forward and so on, but you can’t really get the gestalt of the process.

3 Likes

I am so not a Ray Romano fan, but “Paddleton” was Poignant with a capital P.

4 Likes

manny

3 Likes

Now you know my fatal flaw.

3 Likes

third season of The Santa Clarita Diet has been released :woman_zombie::family_man_girl:

4 Likes

I just saw Jordan Peele’s Us.

I did not love it.

2 Likes

Alien vs Predator?
Prometheus?
Covenent?

1 Like