Whatcha Watchin'?

It sounds like perhaps Ms. Lynch was talking out of school, but this was reported on Jezebel:

But, if this IS a thing, I’ll definitely give it a whirl.

6 Likes

Lair of the White Worm (Amazon).

Hugh Grant stars, but Peter Capaldi is also in it.

It’s the kind of movie with dream sequences. Also, the director seems to have some sort of stocking fetish.

6 Likes

Le Casa de Papel on Netflix. Using subtitles, because I have never felt comfortable with dubs. They are very uncanny valley for me.

Still in Part 1. But it’s a good illustration of why you never trust your perfect, complex plan that requires self-discipline and self-control to a bunch of career criminals and never work with hostages if you can avoid it. And Berlin needs a short drop into a long, empty elevator shaft.

3 Likes

I remember how many people hated it, but I think the sad part was how much it put a dent in Sammi Davis’ upward trajectory, especially after such a strong performance in Hope and Glory.

3 Likes

I thought Lair did well at the Box Office though? (IMDb doesn’t seem to have that info readily accessible.) She immediately went on to Ken Russell’s The Rainbow, which I think got better reviews, but didn’t do as well sales-wise.

Perhaps simply doing two Russell flicks in a row, outside his prime ‘70s period, was enough to harm her career.

ETA: Ah, just checked Wikipedia (and Box Office Mojo). US ticket sales weren’t so hot, compared to the budget. On the other hand, it did better than Russell’s prior film Gothic, which still did well enough on video to help Ken get the Vestron deal which led to Lair.

3 Likes

mad scientists in an underground lair

3 Likes

I’m kind of behind on this-- I just found out it existed this weekend. I watched the first two episodes, and I have the next three on my laptop to watch on my flight today. I’m quite enjoying it. Typical excellent Ken Burns.

2 Likes

Starsky and Hutch, trying desperately to make LA look interesting.

4 Likes

I’m glad to see Mark Strong finally land a series that shows promise. I think he’s a good actor and hopefully not a problematic man.

5 Likes

Somebody involved with this really likes Waking Life

Bob Odenkirk is a ghost

7 Likes

Can we avoid spoilers for the breaking bad movie?

2 Likes

Somehow I completely missed it that they are rebooting Creepshow as a series.

I’m watching the first part of the 1st ep now, based on a S King short story that I read ages ago; not bad so far.

9 Likes

the characters are unsympathetic

there is no plot

it’s like The Big Lebowski or Seinfeld except it’s not funny

4 Likes

ad astra

it’s like event horizon, but without the demons.

6 Likes

I always saw ads for that show after Barry S1, and was like “nah.”

Glad to see my instincts were correct.

In other news, The Good Place is back!

6 Likes

It’s Steampunk Shadowrun. And I am enjoying it.

6 Likes

Lesson Learned. Some movies aren’t compatible with calmly sipping a hot beverage. Now I have to procure a new pair of pants,.

8 Likes

This is why you wear the brown pants.

Coffee. Riiiiiiight.

10 Likes

I’m still watching it

At first events seem random and all the characters fail at everything and disappoint each other, but it’s like a completely different show by the middle of Season 2

Oh, and Bruce Campbell is in it for a few episodes

2 Likes