Whatcha Watchin'?

Saw the last season of iZombie… a rushed, but still satisfying end to the series. I was a little disappointed that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was only in 1 episode…

2 Likes

I have heard it is very dark though.

Not thematically; as in the lighting. Some people have trouble making out what’s going on.

2 Likes

I’m very comfortable being “dropped in a story” and letting the story bring me up to speed.

I’ve still a few episodes left, but I can’t think of anything offhand that makes it hard to figure out.

Let me ponder on that though.

3 Likes

No, I mean literally hard to see the action on the screen.

5 Likes

The rushed bit I agree with.

Watch S4 of VMars, and we’ll talk then; I want hear your opinion after.

6 Likes

Can’t say I noticed until you mentioned it. I suppose there are some scenes that are muddy, but it didn’t detract overmuch

I’ve been watching through the first season of YouTube’s Impulse lately.

(warning: the show includes a trigger warning about sexual violence before episodes, and information for RAINN before the credits)

Full disclosure - I did like the Jumper novels; they started off with some very young adult wish fulfillment stuff before suddenly veering into actually considering the consequences of the ability the main character was given, even to the point of considering the question of why one might be able to teleport between the equator and the poles without extreme acceleration issues. So I do think it’s funny that both attempts to bring books from that series to film have basically taken a few Cliff Notes story bullet points and then thrown out most of the rest. I haven’t watched that “Jumper” movie, but from what I’ve seen in reviews the result… wasn’t great.

For Impulse, even though this series has very little to do with the book by the same name, it at least seems to be taking the time to build a cohesive story. I think they went rather far in punching up the drama. Most of the characters are a bit shitty/unlikable, but it’s in generally believable ways.

I don’t really like some of the changes they made to put the characters through the wringer, and I have to wonder why even bother licensing the book’s name if you’re going to change almost the entire thing, but I’m up to episode 8 and still watching so far.

Of course, unless ye be a scurrilous scallywag, it has the baggage of being on YouTube Premium. Season’s been showing up as free on my YouTube lately, but I don’t know how long that’ll last with a second season due in a few days.

2 Likes

I recently watched episode 1 of Batwoman.
Actually pretty good for a tv comic book show. We will see how it plays out.

3 Likes

I watched Surviving R. Kelly. It’s hard to watch and well done. I am pretty sure my first boss in engineering managed all of his stage shows in Atlanta and was close friends with him, so I kept watching for any mention of him, but most of it was about people in Chicago.

I liked the focus on the women as survivors and not victims.

7 Likes

SEE ALSO: Lucifer, iZombie

6 Likes

Yes. I almost didn’t watch Lucifer because I’d heard it wasn’t a true adaptation of the comic series. I’m glad I did, though, because it was fun in its own way.

I never read or saw iZombie, but I hear it was pretty good, so maybe I’ll check it out sometime.

5 Likes

And World War Z.

The book - A decent take on the Zombpocalypse in a world filled with too many of said books.

The movie - let’s not talk about it.

5 Likes

Watched Joker yesterday.

A weird pastiche of 1976–1986 real world history that includes:

• maybe a hint of love to Taxi Driver
  • austerity NYC/Gotham complete with piles of garbage
  • all the old sad bastard clown tropes
  • evil Harvey Pekar (our hero) needs evil Dave Letterman
  • the idea that terrorism is ideologically neutral
  • the idea that the rich are innocent bystanders and the real evil is celebrity and popular culture
  • Discourse was maddening then too

So yeah, the Joker is still a shit villain, but this was the first real watchable movie (for me) out the DC live-action stuff since… a minute.

7 Likes

Demons and the Illuminati and possessed guys grunting in Latin and all that shit

3 Likes

And now I’m wondering if various grunts would have declensions or conjugations…

4 Likes

It’s very old school, The Exorcist kinda stuff, not ironic at all

Maybe worth watching for the cast

2 Likes

It sounds like exactly the same plot as Ragnorok but without the comic-book distance. I can’t wait.

1 Like
5 Likes

Looking for Alaska dropped on Hulu. I just watched the first episode.

The book is based on the high school where I grew up - not just kind of loosely based on it, but seriously, freakishly accurately depicting what it is like to be a student at the school.

For some reason the art director chose to make the set look like a summer camp. The school does have a certain camp like aspect to it, but I’m not sure why they chose to make it look quite so primitive.

However, the grounds are pretty close to the feeling of the school, especially the lake which is a big feature in the book.

The guy who plays the lead has a certain quality - the shape of his face, his nose - that reminds me of my first boyfriend.

So glad this dropped right as I’ve been diving full on into my dad’s old photos and my old journals. The nostalgia is deep right now.

As a show, I’d give it a 6 out of 10. It’s a little stilted. But so far it seems like a nice adaptation of the book. Not too specifically hewing to the material but still true to the characters and the themes.

5 Likes

Shadow of the Vampire (Prime Video)

Our battle, our struggle, is to create art. Our weapon is the moving picture. Because we have the moving picture, our paintings will grow and recede; our poetry will be shadows that lengthen and conceal; our light will play across living faces that laugh and agonize; and our music will linger and finally overwhelm, because it will have a context as certain as the grave. We are scientists engaged in the creation of memory… but our memory will neither blur nor fade.

–John Malkovich as FW Murnau.

Oh. The script girl. I’ll eat her later.

–Willelm Dafoe as Count Orlock as Max Shrek as Count Orlock.

Jesus Christus! Get this Scheißkopf off me!

–Eddie Izzard as Gustav

4 Likes