Whatcha Watchin'?

Welcome back! Don’t be a stranger. (At least I try not to be any stranger than necessary . . . )

4 Likes

Currently watching the last seaon of Ozark and just saw the episode with the Killer Mike cameo where Ruth shoots Javi

Life…

< Gesticulate Wildly >

2 Likes

Capitalism loves death.

3 Likes

Great as always! It’s kind of hilarious that this story is being made into a movie! Seems like it’ll be interesting.

2 Likes

Just wrapped up Ozark… Not sure how I feel about the ending. It was neatly wrapped up and made sense, but also… did they REALLY have to kill of Ruth…

ozark-scream-ruth

But I thought she played the same role in Ozark that Jessie played in Breaking Bad, there to essentially be abused by the middle class money launderer for their own ends, when they think they are helping the less fortunate working class person. Nothing that either Walter or the Byrds did would have been possible without them using their working class counterparts. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think that these shows had a strong class dimension to them.

1 Like

just finished S1 of Severence, however I thought its was 10eps, but ended up it was only 9eps, so the resolution I was expecting turned out to be a huge season end cliff hanger, and I’m totally pissed off.

1 Like

Recent Discord watch party experiences:

Everything Everywhere All At Once: believe the hype, it is that good. It’s strange and beautiful and so full of heart. The acting is magnificent, and the message is very much needed… I don’t have the words, and I don’t want to spoil it either. Most highly recommended.

(I do recommend bringing kleenex. I saw it on what would have been my mother’s 73rd birthday, so it had me broken-down-crying at a certain point… still so good though, and I don’t regret seeing it one bit.)

Morbius: saw it last night, to see what all the fuss was about.

super-meh-suparman

My best guess is, there’s so many jokes and memes about Morbing floating around right now because the movie is so very, very meh. I’d say bad, but that implies it has the possibility of being so-bad-its-good, and it’s not. It’s just MEH. One person in the watch party said it best-- “the movie doesn’t have a single original thought in its head.” Every element is recycled from other (better) films, every event is another utterly predictable step along the traditional Hero’s Journey/Origin Story path. The only person having any kind of fun here is Matt Smith, who chews every available inch of scenery with great relish, but it isn’t enough to save the flick. Most things happen because REASONS (though I can’t recommend that as a drinking game, because that would send even a hardened alcoholic into alcohol poisoning.) YMMV, but honestly, I like cheesy-bad vampire horror movies, and I couldn’t get into this at all… though watching it with a group where we were all mercilessly mocking it was a fun experience, so at least there was that. Meh.

8 Likes

I’ve seen quite a few films on this list…

5 Likes

Just saw Maurice last night. I thought it was very good, but not as great as the listmakers, because I didn’t buy that the final romance would work out. I mean, I more or less bought it as far as the film goes, but it didn’t strike me as that happy an ending because my thought was I’ll give it a month. I didn’t think they could overcome both the necessary clandestine nature of their relationship and their class differences. If there had been a longer courtship, maybe, but it didn’t feel like their relationship was built on enough.

More positively, while I haven’t yet seen the list’s The Watermelon Woman, I have seen a collection of director Cheryl Dunye’s short films and thought they were great.

1 Like

There can be only one.

7 Likes

And Mobious strippers, they never show their backsides.

This is the Morbius I grew up with, being a faithful fan of Marvel merriment:

4 Likes

I have not seen that one, so I will not look at your spoiler!

I thought that Watermelon Woman looked interesting too. I have not seen anything by Dunye, so I’ll have to check her out sometime.

1 Like

PleasedontsuckPleasedontsuckPleasedontsuckPleasedontsuckPleasedontsuck

kenan-begging-you

7 Likes

I got tired of Ozark and stopped watching mid 2nd season. I love Laura Linney but she just wasn’t in it enough or her character interesting enough to get me absorbed in the show. It seemed like such a blatant rip off of Breaking Bad. I guess if it were doing its own cool spin on it I’d be more excited, but it seemed so derivative. Let me know if it got better. I might try it again. It wasn’t terrible.

1 Like

She become a lot more central in the last couple of seasons. She ends up becoming the driving force of almost everything that they’re doing with the cartel, for good or ill. She makes questionable choices, but driven by getting her family out of the horrific situation that Marty put them in.

In a lot of ways it is but just more “southern” (though is Missouri the south?), but rather than just focusing on the one spouse (Walt in the case of BB), it focuses on both of them, as they both become deeply involved in laundering for the cartel.

I was not entirely happy with how it turned out for Ruth, but it’s worth watching.

FYI - this are pretty light spoilers, I don’t say anything specific that happens just say some general trends regarding Wendy, but figured I’d spoiler tag them anyways.

2 Likes

from

Well, Death looks amazing…

3 Likes

last night watched Belfast. Enjoyed it, but couldn’t say it was a happy ending.

2 Likes

Thank you for the judicious use of spoilers. This is one of those that my family started watching and then stopped because some of us felt that everyone had become to hard to relate to.

It’s on my list to watch on my own time because idgaf if I can relate to any/everyone, a good story is a good story. And that’s exactly what it was shaping up to be.

From what I have seen, I’d say it’s a good bit more ‘southern gothic’ than Breaking Bad. These are outsiders, coming into an area where everyone has roots going back way into the past. And both the people and the general environment have a lot of history. And these outsiders are kinda wedging themselves into that.

I’m really looking forward to a rewatch, all the way through.

2 Likes