Whatcha Watchin'?

Without a doubt!

1 Like

Hmmmmā€¦I guess if Iā€™m bored Iā€™ll pick it back up again.

I kept waiting for it to find its own rhythm and maybe push away from its Breaking Bad Inspiration. Lately, Iā€™ve gotten tired of these shows that try to get me to root on horrible people. I guess itā€™s fun from a writerā€™s perspective, but itā€™s emotionally draining to root for people who are sociopaths. I feel like if I want a crime show, Iā€™d rather do something like a heist which is more fun.

3 Likes

Yeah, the anti-hero thing is wearing a bit thin, isnā€™t it. It might not be the right show for you, then. Although, they do give you other people to root forā€¦

1 Like

Weā€™re getting a modern Joanna Constantine because John Constantine is getting a series treatment on HBOā€¦

https://screenrant.com/sandman-johanna-constantine-backlash-comics-powers-explained/

I have lately been watching Stranger Things 4 - itā€™s okay. The Steve Harrington character is the exact guy Iā€™d have crushed on when I was in high school in the 80ā€™s, and that is really the fun of watching it for me. The monsters are brutal and it seems overly violent. Thereā€™s still enough clever 80ā€™s references and I like how they use Matthew Modine, Winona Ryder, and Paul Reiser, who are all actors I really like and who I think have a unique place in the 80ā€™s world. The plot is getting convoluted.

I also have been watching Gilded Age, which I absolutely love. The characters are a ton of fun and the fashion is amazing. Itā€™s silly and frivolous and has that upstairs/downstairs stuff going on that is always fun to watch.

The other show weā€™ve been into at my house is Shining Girls with Elizabeth Moss. I always enjoy watching her. The time travel stuff is pretty well done, and the mystery of what is happening is revealed bit by bit. Itā€™s also really dark, though, and I think Iā€™m ready for something more fluffy.

1 Like

We have not started that yetā€¦ weā€™re gonna wait until the second half is up, I thinkā€¦ Of course, everyone is talking about how ā€œRunning Up That Hillā€ was on an episode and now itā€™s in the top 10 on the US charts!

FINALLY, I am hipper than the kids are!!!

Also, still waiting to hear the Big Boi song with Kate Bush on itā€¦

big-boi-kate-bush

Weā€™re watching Mr. Robot right now, partway through the first seasonā€¦ so far, so interesting. We also just watched an old Doctor Who that had been lost but was animated called Galaxy 4. It was from a late part of the Hartnell years, and you can tell he was absolutely struggling to do the role properly. Itā€™s kind of sad.

1 Like

Seconded. Itā€™s also so very funny. Agreed also that the acting is fantastic, and I especially want to point out how good Ke Huy Quan is. Heā€™s the emotional core of the film in my opinion.

2 Likes

In my limited experience, outside of Kansas City and St. Louis, yes to varying degrees.

Edit: I was probably too lenient on the cities.

2 Likes

And itā€™s part of the South, too.

2 Likes

i lived in MO for a decade, and went to school in southern MO. iā€™d say that the southern part of the state very much has a ā€œsouthā€ vibe, while STL is more like a belly button, above the belt line, and thus has blend of northern midwestern and southern attitudes. Northern MO starts feeling more midwestern proper to me. and yeah, cities vs rural attitudes in general are also in the mix.

4 Likes

I enjoyed it a lot. I appreciate movies that take a risk. Also, Michelle Yeoh. She is perfection.

3 Likes

My dad was from Neosho, MO. It is sort of Southern feeling, but itā€™s definitely its own thing. But, I think that sense of isolation and a small group that is dependent upon each other is there; not easy for an outsider to fit in.

3 Likes

yeah, i agree. southern, but not southern ā€“ and still ultimately isolating for anyone not ā€œfitting inā€ with the locals.

2 Likes

ruth-best-ozark-change-my-mind

2 Likes
1 Like

I appreciate the lengths he goes through to solve an extremely low-stakes mystery. Also, he reminds me a bit of my father-in-law.

5 Likes

I always found a capped Bic pen worked best.

7 Likes

My pinky finger was the right size and always handy

8 Likes

4 Likes

What is that? A Torx screwdriver?

2 Likes