Whatcha Watchin'?

1 Like
3 Likes

This is fascinating for me. Even though it’s about an industry that, in most if not all aspects, is responsible for the majority of climate change we’re now experiencing, as well as a bunch of other negative effects on society.

But it being about AMC…well, not so much as the Big Three, LOL!

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Apparently they made a show out of the Good Omens book and I never noticed. Found it via this music video, because someone else put a clip of it in one of their videos. So now I have something new on my watchlist.

Last night I watched this, and it was hilarious. An 80’s movie that I just somehow never saw before. The sight gags in the background and the running jokes that payoff in later scenes had me laughing out loud.

5 Likes

Spoiler: Jawas are descended from John Carradine!

2 Likes

I’ve been watching videos of Steve Shives responding to comments on his Trek Actually videos:

And I showed this documentary, about an anti-racist skinhead crew up in the Twin Cities:

2 Likes

This is interesting, directly countering basic ideas that we just take for granted about how the economy came to be.

Also that voice. He could be talking about something boring like ancient economics and barter economies and it would still be mesmerizing. Actually, that’s exactly what he was talking about. And it’s not boring the way he talks about it.

4 Likes
2 Likes

There really needs to be a lot more awareness of SROs and the value that they provide in a community. They do so much for so many people. It’s really an understated and under-mentioned thing.

But that dude at 1:10:51 being like “you want to meet them between the doors” and “if push comes to shove” and all that and I’m just gonna go grab this here monkeywrench and wield it like a weapon but hey, “I’ve never actually had to do this before, ever.”

Aight dude, that’s cute and also so wrong on so many multiple levels. When you get back from the hospital let us know how that worked out for you. Because the moment you did that, you made your reservation. If you’re lucky they’ll give you a good flavor of jello.

NOTE: entire above paragraph spoken dramatically for effect but not actually a real thing. I’m not actually chasing some guy down and hospitalizing him. That’s just a turn of phrase.

I don’t even know how else to respond to that. It’s probably not the right response. But it’s from the heart.

2 Likes

I thought with the meeting-at-the-doors, he meant like a precautionary meet-n-greet. I took that as meaning he would use that in case of real trouble. Like, violent trouble.

1 Like

I was all of three years, one month and two days old when this originally aired. Yikes.

3 Likes

Has anyone seen that film The Wonder with Florence Pugh on Netflix?

Thoughts? I feel a bit conflicted about it. It’s well-done, but is it justifying colonially backed kidnapping, too?

I definitely want to read the book now, too, which is by Emma Donoghue (who wrote the book Room).

Spoilers in these videos:

A good summation of Secret Wars, IMO:

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty on the nose. Such a missed opportunity. I got into an argument recently with some people who thought it was great. Then one of them mentioned something about how most stuff coming from Disney the last few years has been awful because they went all political, and I replied with an eyeroll gif, and then things went to hell.

3 Likes

Secret Invasion, although it’s pretty clear that they seem ill-equipped to handle something like Secret Wars either, at least as a TV show. They spent $200M on this and had effectively no super heroes, and Secret Wars had all of them.

That said, I agree that’s a pretty apt assessment of Secret Invasion in general. There are some good aspects:

• When they (rarely) weren’t making Nick Fury look like a complete dumbass.
  • Several of the scenes between Fury and Talos are solid.
  • Pretty much every scene Olivia Colman is in.
  • Some of the scenes between Fury and Priscilla.
  • Gravik, before they turn him into a 1-dimensional, mustache-twirling villain.

I think the cast is generally good, but they’re given so little to work with. It’s weird how this show feels somehow both too big and too small, too long and too short, and somehow low-budget despite it being a nine-digit number.

The number of unforced errors throughout are remarkable.

That’s hilarious. This is literally a political thriller (though not a very good one) where one of the core ideas is about an undocumented immigrant population. It’s not even subtext…

3 Likes

I started watching this quirky weirdness, and I dig it.

3 Likes
1 Like

Finished watching Rolling Thunder (currently available on Tubi and Pluto).

I really enjoyed it. Some serious intensity there. Great 70s style too.

I loved how cool, calm, and focused the main character was. And how when he called on his buddy, Johnny was just like “Ok, I’ll just get my gear. Let’s go clean 'em up.” No questions asked, he was ready and raring to go.

Also Linda the groupie, who had no idea what she was in for, but went along for the ride anyway. At the drop of a hat (or rather, a tray of drinks). Despite her uncertainty and discomfort with it, stuck with it and held the line.

People respond to danger and bad stuff differently and this movie does a good job depicting a few different characters’ reactions. A little unusual, each of them, but put them together and it’s a good story.

The pacing is a bit unlike a modern movie, it feels more comfortable. Less hectic, more deliberate.

2 Likes