Whatcha Watchin'?

My family, and I’m sure thousands of others who lived in a northern border city/town/village, watched this and other British shows on Canadian broadcast television. No dreadful US commercials, for one thing.

5 Likes
4 Likes

My local Public TV station used to air that. A fun series with great character interaction, tongue-in-cheek humor, and Emma Peel’s goofy '60s-TV martial arts techniques which were good for some laughs (or winces).

5 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Re The Avengers, five seasons are available on the Roku Channel, and two seasons on Prime TV.

(These are from the good old days when a season was 26 episodes, so there’s plenty of brilliantly cheesy entertainment there.)

4 Likes

We’ve been enjoying Pluto TV, a free streaming app with some commercials, but the commercials are only like 30 seconds or so total. What makes it worth it are the channels – lots of fun stuff like old Doctor Who, Godzilla movies, MST3K, etc. – it’s live streaming, so you turn it on and you get whatever they are streaming on any given channel, but it’s FREE.

6 Likes

Not to be confused with Pluto Water.

3 Likes

Depends on what you’re watching.

plutowater-ad1

3 Likes

Dr. Z has returned.

2 Likes

ooooo! hooray!

1 Like

Something was bothering me about this episode: Who was the bloke what done the bloody good Michael Caine impression? So I went back and played the ending credits at quarter speed so I could actually read them. There is a lot of humor towards the end, such as:

Dr Z’s Wardrobe By
Carroll & Co.

On-Set Medic
Dennis Hopper

He Fell out of a Window
Anatoly Geraschchenko

That last one isn’t laugh-out-loud funny, but will keep the show out of the Russian Federation.

Anyway, the absolute last credit was

Needed a Check
Michael Caine

So I guess that was really him.

3 Likes

Nothing But Trouble (1991)

Dan Aykroyd (in multiple roles), John Candy (in multiple roles), Chevy Chase, and Demi Moore, along with Digital Underground and Tupac for the musical scene.

A businessman and his friends are captured by a sadistic judge and his equally odd family in a bizarre mansion in a backwater town and end up fighting for their lives to get free again.

It’s not a great movie, but it’s a fun little memory slice of the late 80s, early 90s. Set design was crazy good.

Free with ads on Youtube (without ads if you use an adblocker).

3 Likes

Just finished watching the original Twin Peaks series. It was a lot more coherent that I remembered it being. Maybe being able to stream it makes it easier to remember all the convoluted plot. There were a couple of positively beautiful scenes. I really appreciated that Parmount+ didn’t put many commercials in on some of the shows.

6 Likes

You might find these of interest…

Spoilers for the original show, the movie, and the sequel series, if you plan to watch the other two…

4 Likes

You are probably familiar with the story of Chunky Cheese, but here it is filtered through John Oliver.

3 Likes

Season 2 of Dark Shadows! Barnabas Collins is introduced, and so is Dr Hoffmann!

3 Likes

Shit, she died a little over a year after this, of cancer.

If the world had been more woman-friendly back in the 1950s…sigh. RIP, to the FIRST Janis. (come to think of it, it wasn’t all that woman-friendly during the 2d Janis’s time, either.)

Just found this…“I told ya I was a dirty old broad!” - I have a new heroine, just like that.

Oh, and try to convince me the lead guitar player doesn’t look like Newton! You won’t, lol.

3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like