Whatcha Watchin'?

I didn’t watch it back when it first aired; I was still a drunk then and it wasn’t the kind of show that bars in the Detroit would turn their TVs to. I’m not sure if I want to watch it and the related shows, as besides this review, I read an article that basically covered everything.

As an aside: What’s your favorite work by David Lynch? Mine is:

This and “Mulholland Drive” are all I’ve watched @kxkvi Forgive me for not viewing “Eraserhead” yet. I promise to watch it some time this year, LOL.

3 Likes

This German safety training video is really something. They are not kidding around. :rofl: Klaustu Barada Nikto!

2 Likes
2 Likes

No AI. No color. No sound. No kiddin’, this is magnificent!

1 Like

I just watched the whole original series. I highly recommend it. I think it works better streaming than it did originally week to week. The first season is definitely stronger, but the actors are so compelling, the whole thing is a lot of fun.
I remembered it as being very trippy and disjointed, but actually, it’s pretty cohesive.
I have a new respect for Kyle McLaughlin. He was always pitch perfect. He is super impressive as an actor.

4 Likes

We watched Coupling some years ago. It is hilarious!

2 Likes

My daughter and I saw Dune last night in the theater. It was so good. We both agreed that it was nice to go the theater to see a movie that needed the big screen and the sound. There was a lot of CGI crowd stuff, but it actually served the plot because it really shows the scale of this religious fervor they are whipping up.
There was great costume design. I like how they’ve adapted what was in the book to the screen.
To me, it’s like what I want Star Wars to be. It has a lot of that feel of clunky old school machinery on a hard scrabble planet, but there’s a lot more internal motivation of the characters that creates good plot conflicts that seem to arise more from each character’s unique role than I find in Star Wars.
Timothee Chalomet is a great lead for this; he’s blank enough that he is an “insert self” character, which is definitely what the lead of Dune is supposed to be. You’re the hero saving the world! But he also pulls off all the action and smolders with gawky teenage musky attractiveness. He reminds me SO MUCH of my high school boyfriend, not that they looked alike, but just in personality and physicality. He definitely feels like a teenager even though I think he’s like close to 30 now.
There are way more women characters than in the first movie and they have more interesting, complex roles. I especially felt that Zendaya’s character had a much more interesting part in this movie.
I’m looking forward to Part 3. I know that’s not greenlit yet, but I can’t imagine they won’t make it.

3 Likes

What is Wim Wenders watching?

1 Like

Surprised I never heard of this movie before. It’s a bit like Dangerous Minds + Dead Poet’s Society + Red Dawn all mixed together with mid-80’s style and music.

Some of the reviews mention Miami Vice, but I don’t really remember that show. Others label it as an action movie but, while there are a couple of really good action scenes, it’s mostly about a group of juvenile delinquents growing as individuals and learning to work together and become a force for good. With a teacher that has a few problems fitting into the system but really only cares about helping the kids. It’ll make you feel things.

It’s free on Youtube. Well worth a watch.

3 Likes
2 Likes

After watching the first episode, three reactions (avoiding spoilers):

1. A few actors are similar enough that I’m having trouble keeping track, though this could just be face blindness in action.
  2. It looks like they’ve recontextualized the “near future” of the novel to more present day. It’ll take more to know what I think of that, but it feels like they might need to spend time explaining some things that could have been lampshaded and then just gone with the setting. On the other hand, it looks like they’re avoiding explaining things like the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation to the viewers. :man_shrugging:
  3. Things feel… a little rushed? It’s like they’re trying to pack in added character information while still trying to compress the time scale, so important points are both coming quickly, but also sometimes being interrupted for no apparent reason.

And one (minor spoiler) thing that applies to both the show and novel:

Technically (and if you avoid metaphors), it’s a 4-body problem. Small detail, but one that keeps being ignored…

3 Likes

Pyutin and Gazz.

1 Like
2 Likes

What a mess.

2 Likes
4 Likes

One of my all-time faves! When I was about 10 years old I could be found glued to the TV every Saturday evening absorbing the latest episode, watching the Eagles crash.

3 Likes

Two of my favorite channels on YouTube:

I don’t know what it is about this channel. I’ve been watching it since before the pandemic. I appreciate that there’s no dialogue but that’s true for a couple of channels. In this particular episode, he somehow manages to make it seem like he’s all alone, if you don’t count the audio. He somehow fills the time with all of these empty, liminal spaces.

I can’t tell if his channel is some sort of stealth marketing for inter-island travel inside Japan, or if he genuinely just loves to travel by ferry.

And then there’s his preoccupation with industrialized food.

This is another one of my favorites. These two guys are real craftsmen. The location is beautiful.

4 Likes

I find that I’m ignoring the plots and just looking at it. It just looks so good.

1 Like

Up to episode 4, and it seems like a pretty faithful depiction of the wasteland so far. Although I know there was a lot of AI-generated angst about the trailers, the show itself seems fairly solid.

Though the “rule of thumb” thing has been debunked, it still gave me chills…

(from the comments on that video:

…yeah, that. )

5 Likes