Whatcha Watchin'?

Here’s one I forgot to include:

I haven’t seen it yet, but it definitely fits along with the others.

2 Likes

Has anyone watched The Power?

Am I wrong, or is it kind of bad?

General Spoilers

I really want to like it, but my main issue is that it seems to want to tell us one thing (“This change allows the balance of power to shift from men to women”) while showing us something else (“Almost every women who uses their power causes some measure of pain and suffering”). It almost feels like the core message of the show is that actually women shouldn’t have the/any power. It’s weird because it also goes out of its way to show how awful the men in power and the response to women gaining these powers are.

It really feels like it’s trying to walk this middle ground in order to not really offend anyone, but I don’t think it’s succeeding.

1 Like

Oh, yes, we’re big Phibes fans. A similar Uncle Bink (Vincent Price) vehicle, Theatre/Theater of Blood, with Diana Rigg is also great. Scary and gross Shakespearean revenges are taken on the critics who angered him.

3 Likes
1 Like

I picked a fun bad movie for Thanksgiving. It’s pretty much what you’d expect from the description. A low-budget eldritch horror with hookers and awkwardness.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Michael Keaton made a short film.

This would have been between Johnny Dangerously and Gung Ho, but It’s not on IMDB.

2 Likes
1 Like

… Old Who

… New Who

3 Likes

This was a cute Christmas movie.

Eddie Murphy plays a father and husband who always tries to win the neighborhood’s Best Decorated House award with his handmade decorations, but keeps losing to the neighbors with storebought decorations.

This year, he’s just been laid off work and they’ve just announced a $100,000 prize for the winning house, so he decides to go all out. Which leads him to a particularly odd little shop under the bridge where he unwittingly unleashes the magic of Christmas, and then with the help of his family has to try to get it back under control before it’s too late.

4 Likes

My family, and I’m sure thousands of others who lived in a northern border city/town/village, watched this and other British shows on Canadian broadcast television. No dreadful US commercials, for one thing.

5 Likes
4 Likes

My local Public TV station used to air that. A fun series with great character interaction, tongue-in-cheek humor, and Emma Peel’s goofy '60s-TV martial arts techniques which were good for some laughs (or winces).

5 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Re The Avengers, five seasons are available on the Roku Channel, and two seasons on Prime TV.

(These are from the good old days when a season was 26 episodes, so there’s plenty of brilliantly cheesy entertainment there.)

4 Likes

We’ve been enjoying Pluto TV, a free streaming app with some commercials, but the commercials are only like 30 seconds or so total. What makes it worth it are the channels – lots of fun stuff like old Doctor Who, Godzilla movies, MST3K, etc. – it’s live streaming, so you turn it on and you get whatever they are streaming on any given channel, but it’s FREE.

6 Likes

Not to be confused with Pluto Water.

3 Likes

Depends on what you’re watching.

plutowater-ad1

3 Likes

Dr. Z has returned.

2 Likes