Whatcha Watchin'?

Just double-billed Murder on the Orient Express and Coco.

Express was good, but then again I know the plot well, so there was little to surprise me. Brannagh was better than I was expecting as Poirot, but I still see David Suchet as the one who embodies the fussy little Belgian best. Brannagh was a little too physical for the part as I’ve imagined Poirot since I was a kid: the whole point of Poirot was that he was not a man of action, but one of intellect. I still recommend seeing it, (and Death on the Nile, probably, which he’s planning next), but my being not entirely overwhelmed may also be due to the fact that it was the second on the bill.

Coco… I didn’t cry, but I think the only reason for that was I was too much in love. Seriously, I love this film so frickin’ much. If you only get to see one movie this holiday season, this is the one to go with. It’s utterly rich and immersive, and if you don’t feel for Miguel, well then there is no hope for you. It doesn’t matter if you have kids, only that you remember being one.

Also, the more money it makes at theatres, the better chance that we;ll get to see more animated movies that don’t revolve around white people. As we’ve argued in the Feminism 101 thread, representation is important. No, everything shouldn’t be riding on this movie, but as women can tell you: it is.

But go see it, because it’s beautiful and amazing. The story is fantastic, in both senses of the word. Money very well spent.

9 Likes

And then they effed up Justice League on that count anyhow.

3 Likes

Just watched Their Finest, which by coincidence could be a companion piece to Dunkirk, which I haven’t seen yet.

Strong feminist component to this movie, with a great cast and a very funny performance by Bill Nighy.

2 Likes

I love Bill Nighy. Thanks for the recommendation!

3 Likes

Let’s not forget the 1974 version.

There are three good reasons to see this film:
1 the cast is all amazing
2 the production design/cinematography
3 the music

If you haven’t seen it, be warned — Albert Finney’s performance is eccentric at least, and a even occasionally revolting. But after having seen it a couple times, I got into it. I can even say now, yes, I like his performance and I can even see what he was going for.

6 Likes

Red Dwarf XII. Still funny after all these years.

3 Likes

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Lamb to the Slaughter
Script: Roald Dahl Dir: Hitch Star: Barbara Bel Geddes

Still a classic, and the subtitles will help you work on your French!

4 Likes

Even though I have problems with Dahl (cf: Deprogramming) I have to admit, he really brings it here.

2 Likes

I just saw the theatrically released version of “Saturday Night Fever” for the first time. And even though I found many parts to be tiresome, I actually watched it twice.

Pretty much everyone has seen it already, and there have been many words written about it, so I won’t waste eveyone’s time with a long review. So here is a bulleted list of my most important obsrvations:

• The swearing still seems au courant.
  • Bay Ridge really hasn’t changed much.
  • I wonder if this is the first time that the practice of folding pizza slices in half entered popular culture?
  • What happened to Tony’s family? Why do they just disappear about half-way through the film? And on the subject of his family, why does the character Frank Jr even exist?
  • I bet Fran Drescher can actually dance better than that.
  • Even if you are living in Brooklyn, if you want to re-invent yourself and aspire to be something more, you still have to go to Manhattan. Tony’s realization of this is symbolized by his rejection of a ride in his friends’ four-wheeled motel room and instead we see him for the first time using public transportation.

I just watched Marvel’s Runaways and the Babadook.

MR was decent, but I didn’t like the 'dook.

Just like so many other films that people really seem to dig but which leave me underwhelmed, I didn’t care about any of the characters… and ‘the big bad’ was just plain stupid to me.

4 Likes

The director of this movie, John Badham, went to my high school and was on the board for many years. He is much older than me. I never met him. He also directed War Games. Yes, he is from Alabama.

The famous dance floor is from The Club in Birmingham. They had it first. Kinda hilarious if you know it because it’s where all the debutante crowd goes to mingle.

4 Likes

Warning Spoilers Ahead

4 Likes

i watched this this morning, and i was reminded of how creative, clever, and what attention to detail they have when they create these. i mean, yes, did i laugh out loud at Hopper? yes, of course. did Eleven’s reveal make me shake my head and snort at the clever wink they just did? oh yeah. but there’s also the fact that Winona’s muppet REALLY DOES capture her very well. bravo, Sesame Street.

4 Likes

I just know that future historians will count seasons 7 and 8 of The Walking Dead as a farcical retelling of the Trump campaign and presidency.

Hint: They are all Trump.

5 Likes

Really I thought they were doing different movie and tv parodies. Chasing down the truck with the 50 cals was indiana Jones and this week with the rocket launcher and daryls arrival was loony toons.
Not sure what the neegan interview was frost vs nixon maybe?

I just saw Michelle Wolf’s new special, Nice Lady, which was pretty funny.
Not quite as much shock value as Sarah Silverman, which was a nice non-squirmy change. I like comedians like Kathleen Madigan and Sasheer Zamata, and this felt like that familiar territory.

4 Likes

Finally checked out Spider Man Homecoming; much better than I expected, considering I didn’t hear a peep from anyone about it.

8 Likes

I was watching the Infinity War trailer and thought to myself, “Hmmm…i thought there was going to be a Spiderman movie with this actor.”

Then a couple of hours later I remebered there had been and I’d must have completely missed it.

I blame reboot fatigue.

5 Likes

I may have mentioned it over at the Upside Down. I thought it was pretty great. Did you catch the very last scenes?

4 Likes

Maybe?

1 Like