Whatcha Watchin'?

We finally watched District 9 the other night. holy moly, there’s so much to love about it. I’d love to have a sequel.

7 Likes

Greg Garcia was behind all of those series

I just finished the Punisher; it was better than I expected it to be.

6 Likes

and Would I Lie to You has returned…

3 Likes

What were you expecting it to be?

I never was a fan of the Punisher and his stint on DD didn’t do much for me, so I wasn’t planning on watching this until I ran out of other things.

But if the story is decent, I might move it up a bit on the list.

2 Likes

After the awfulness that was Iron Fist, I’m going to be actively wary about all MCU/Netflix offerings until they are released. Defenders was cool, and tried to make amends, but

That said, I’m also not a Punisher comic fan, but I will give them this; the show’s writers gave a lot of depth and nuance to the story arc - particularly the horrific impact that war has on our soldiers.

5 Likes

The Orient Express was SO GOOD. Perfect holiday flick with s mixed group of people who might not ordinarily agree on a movie. A little action, humor, mystery. Very fun. PG except for one scene that was more implied violence than showing it but not for young kids.

6 Likes

i’m so happy to hear this – i’m hoping that the family will be up for seeing it over the holiday weekend. i read yesterday that they are already planning on doing Death on the Nile as a follow-up.

5 Likes

I’d like to see that. I recall seeing the Albert Finney version decades ago with my father. He guessed the answer, which I recall, but knowing it won’t interfere with enjoying it.

We’ve just started watching The Librarian. Interesting concept, sort of like a humorous version of Warehouse 13. I do like seeing Matt Frewer and John Larroquette.

5 Likes

Good.

I haven’t even watched the whole first episode of Iron Fist. I tried again after Defenders and still couldn’t be bothered.

I’ll give Punisher a try (after I get around to finishing Stranger Things 2)

3 Likes

They nailed Serial season 1. Hilariously, earnestly stupid. I loved the way they did the opening credits with the character names instead of the actual crew.

And I still wanna know:

Who drew the dicks?

3 Likes

I saw Thor: Ragnarok the other day. Somewhat fun, and I enjoyed the Banner banter and Jeff Goldlum and Tessa Thompson.

And that friggin waist on Hemsworth. You could use him to bend pipe.

5 Likes

{Cold Intro}

Frank walks into the VFW. Everyone cheers and says “Hey, Frank”, “Glad to see you”, “What’ll be, Frankie?”

Except the new guy, who studied his beer intently.

Frank walks up and sits next to him. And offers his hand in friendship.

The new guy looks up. “You must be Frank. I didn’t catch the last name though…”

Frank straightens up. His face grows cold.

"Don’t you know a a man’s Nom is his Castle?

{cut to title card}

Frank Castle is THE PUN-ISHER

5 Likes

no, i’m not – but i guess i need to add them to my list!

Definitely finish ST2 first.

2 Likes

As long as it’s not a Generic Mystic Asian Kung-fu Monk, I’m down with that. Defenders had more than enough indistinct not-quite-Chinese-not-quite-Japanese-not-quite-Tibetan Orientalism in it, thank you very much.

Also, did it bother anyone else that the swords looked more like barbecue spatulas than the kind of weapons a millennia-old ninja death cult would use?

4 Likes

So, I found another Marvel franchise, Runaways.

I don’t really watch shows like The O.C., One Tree Hill, or Dawson’s Creek, but after viewing the first episode it felt like something I would assume to be a cross of one of these with the X-Men.
To me a bit weird, but I’ll give it a few episodes to see how it goes.

3 Likes

Yeah, but that joke gets real old real fast

5 Likes

Weirdly sympathetic portrait of a fictional New Age cult :+1:

Secrets! Murder! Prophetic dreams! Dudes floating in the air! Cultists blackmailing IRS officials!

2 Likes