Whatcha Watchin'?

I’m going to go all reader response on that one and say it depends on how to watch it.

For instance, I found Dom Hemingway to be very feminist and a brilliantly funny critique of toxic masculinity… but I know a lot of people hated it and saw it as a celebration of toxic masculinity.

3 Likes

I myself don’t see men saving the day in the movie, for one thing. And them males pretty much act like males, but there’s some 1980s dad-son bonding (remember, produced by Steven Spielberg); and, ultimately, it’s a man who’s the villain. The women are in charge all the way, possibly due to their sensitivity (the mom talks about incidents of her own sleepwalking as a girl).

And the next-door neighbor…wasn’t he in commercials in the 1970s?

2 Likes

Watched Atomic Blonde the other night. It wasn’t what I was expecting but was a decent Cold War spy movie on the action end of things (as opposed to John Le Carre).

3 Likes

I’d have been disappointed were it not for the soundtrack.

Not bad, but it wasn’t worth watching, IMHO

1 Like

I was wanting something light and fluffy, so I rewatched Miss Congeniality and MIss Congeniality 2. Those held up way better than I would have thought. The gay humor was thoughtless, but the girl power theme was still fun. And the second movie had Regina King, who I adore. It had more violence is funny moments that I like, and the last half of it went on a bit long, but for a No. 2 it was better than most. Also Dolly Parton was in it.

2 Likes

Funny that typing mention the soundtrack, the one song that was a cover annoyed me…

2 Likes

We started to watch Humans, Season 2, but realized we couldn’t remember what had happened last time, so we’re rewatching Season 1. It is SO good; really excellent science fiction (though some of the sf ideas have been around a while), and not overly violent. I loved the references to Asimov’s Laws of Robotics. (We watched a couple of seasons of Orphan Black, but finally had to bail because of the violence. It would have been better as a calmer show, IMHO. Other than that it was really excellent though. Such a good leading actor playing all the clones. Oh well.)

2 Likes

Watched the first two episodes of this tonight. I love it. It definitely has the TNG feel-good vibe. Yeah, some of the jokes fall flat, but that seems intentional. This is the Star Trek where Starfleet consists of normal people instead of uptight perfectionist characters that always say the right things at the right times and do everything right. They make jokes which sometimes fall flat or are badly timed, just like any of us would, because they’re normal people. That’s where the humor is - normal people in those situations. I don’t think it’s intended to be like a sitcom with a laugh track.

Side note: as a kid, I always wondered about that “_ was filmed in front of a live studio audience” announcement. Did they need to specify that it wasn’t filmed in front of a dead studio audience? Or just to clarify that it wasn’t filmed behind the audience? Many years later, with the power of the internet, I have discovered that it was because people complained that the laughing sounded fake and that announcement indicated that they weren’t just using a canned laugh track.

6 Likes

Just caught up with Star Trek: Discovery.

The “new” Klingons are so H. R. Giger :roll_eyes:

It seems like there was this enormous burst of creativity in sci-fi film and TV from the late sixties to the early eighties and they’ve been recycling the same shit over and over ever since.

4 Likes

MC2 is deeply subversive…it’s a buddy movie with women and no male lead/love interest. I really enjoy it even if it is cheesy.

4 Likes

Not sure if this has been posted, but I think it’s interesting. I’m trying to think of any television stars who are pulling double duty between Marvel and DC.
To start, I noticed that over the past couple weeks Michelle Vientimilla (Bridgit Pike/Firefly on Gotham) has been cast on The Gifted as Carmen, the drug lord’s daughter who’s manipulating Eclipse into criminal deeds.
So now, I guess the list is expanded to 28. Anyone have any more?

4 Likes

For more fun we have Carl Urban been in Dredd (2000 ad comic film) Thor ragnarok (marvel) doom (video game to film adaption) and the star trek reboots.

4 Likes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Imagine
(The three dots are part of the url that don’t seem to be working and lead to a different article.)
Seems in the spirit if not the mcu.

1 Like

Did somebody order a cross between The X-Files and an '80s buddy cop movie?

No?

Too bad.

Dumb but fun. The “nerdy scientist” is painfully inappropriate, but it turns out a compulsion to start awkward conversations with strangers and violate people’s boundaries can be useful when you’re working for the Men in Black :+1:

6 Likes

Ended up at the Justice League flick. Better than I anticipated, but some of the CGI is really bad or perhaps just rushed.

Stay for after credits scene.

3 Likes

Guessing most of the cgi budget went on Cavills moustache.

2 Likes

I heard that after I watched the movie, which is good because I would have noticed it entire time instead of just being mildly uncanny-valleyied by his performance

2 Likes

My kid talked me into watching this:

Surprisingly, it wasn’t bad at all; much better than I expected for a film that borrows extensively from Groundhog’s Day.

6 Likes

I’m finally watching Colossal:

Anne Hathaway is so good at playing a hot mess. Also at playing someone who used to know the place she’s returned to, but doesn’t anymore.

ETA: Wow, that third act got really dark, but in an awesome way. And then it just barely passed the Bechdel at the end – which for once was the entire point of the film.

4 Likes

Just watched the first season of The Guest Book. It’s very much in the tune of My Name is Earl and Raising Hope. Fast and funny, with likeable characters.

2 Likes