Whatcha Watchin'?

Now I totally need to watch that special. I’m familiar with Michelle Wolf, and usually tend to agree with her POV.

That person calling her out seems a bit… unstable.

5 Likes

Wolf I don’t know, Cho I totally agree, but Silverman’s jokes do nothing for me. I’m not shocked, I’m not offended, I’m not amused.

I do like Silverman’s feminism, though. I like her serious PSAs. So there’s that.

5 Likes

Agreed on Silverman. She does nothing for me. Seems like a comedien’s comedien.

4 Likes

Same here! I’ve never found her funny.

2 Likes

It is a bit meta. She did do one of the best versions of The Aristocrats though.

And yes you are supposed be feeling squicked by it.

5 Likes

@ChickieD @Melizmatic

I think her main shtick is showing she can dish out the shock humor better than the guys can. She’s not my favorite, but I have to give her props when she encourages narrow-minded people to put their feet in their mouths while pretending to be the naive one.
I miss Janeane Garofalo doing standup, too.

6 Likes

I hear Diddy (future primary owner) wants to buy the Panthers along with Steph Curry and others, and let Kaepernick start at QB.
First, YES!
Second, respectfully, IN YOUR FACE, NFL!

P.S. I had to double-check it wasn’t the AFL. :smirk:

P.P.S. I was mistaken. Kaep wants to be part of the ownership group!

3 Likes

Doc Martin, series 8. What a fabulous drama/comedy/farce combination. Great location, great acting, great plots, great characters.

1 Like

Recently finshed Hap and Leonard series 1 after reading the book first. Both are good dark crime caper gone bad fun but each have a different take on the same story.

And because I was reminded about Step Into Liquid the other day I watched Dana Brown’s next movie/documentary Dust To Glory which is about the Baja 1000. Those are some seriously crazy drivers but it sure does look fun.

1 Like

That doesn’t make much sense… Isn’t RG3 signed with the Panthers until the end of the world (given what Trump is doing)?

2 Likes

I saw misinformation at first. It appears Kaepernick wants to be part of the ownership group.

3 Likes

We’ve been putting off the last 2 episodes of Dark matter and have drifted into the third season of Enterprise instead. I just know that the ending of Dark Matter is going to be a cliff hanger… but if we don’t watch it, we can’t get to Stranger Things, American Gods, or the last season of Halt and Catch Fire.

3 Likes

apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but anyone else watch the Netflix series “DARK”?

https://www.netflix.com/title/80100172

i have thoughts…

2 Likes

I’m starting my winter vacation tonight, and need something to watch while I power through the last of the handmade Yule gifts. I’ll take a look.

2 Likes

it’s in german with voiceover, which takes a bit of getting used to, but the story is complicated and there are so many characters to puzzle out that it made for an enjoyable enough first season. i’m interested to see how season 2 (if it gets one) explains oh so very many things.

1 Like

Sounds great! I can knit without looking (mostly), and German is one of the languages I grew up listening to, so at least I’ll know the swear words :grinning:

2 Likes

One of my favorite German curses is Fick dich ins Knie (fuck you in the knee).

1 Like

I don’t know how to spell my fav, but for years I thought it was a common word like an article or preposition, because my grandparents used it so often (same word in Dutch as German).

Then I found out from some film subtitles it means “fart”.

1 Like

This is the only thing holding me back. Technology exists that they should give us a choice of dubbed soundtrack or subtitles. Give me subtitles every time.

1 Like

yeah, but it isn’t as hard to get used to as i thought it would be.

the interesting thing to me (and i realize this travels in stereotypes) is how so emotionally closed off all the characters are – even within families, they are so emotionless. it made me realize two things: (1), if this is the norm in germany or europe in general, no wonder they characterize americans as basically golden retrievers, too sharing and overly expressive; and (2) i think a LOT of problems in this show would have been avoided if the characters just TALKED to each other, haha.

1 Like