Whatcha Watchin'?

I started Black Mirror with Series 2, and I enjoyed most of it but I’m okay with not having seen the first couple episodes of Series 1.

4 Likes

I forced myself to want to like that show, but midway through the second season I gave up

The Librarians

What I’ve caught I like

Alias

Worth the time if you have the time. I enjoyed it.

Stitchers

Nope. Don’t even know that name

Once Upon a Time

That could have been two great seasons. Gvae up part way through the second.

3 Likes

I lasted three episodes.

There was nothing bad, in my recollection, just nothing that “popped.”

I only watched the first two eps of season 1;
I think shows like Orphan Black may have ruined me for shows like Alias.

Cool concept; a secret government agency that uses advanced tech to see the last memories of murder victims in order to solve crimes.

Terrible execution.

I only watched the first season because I promised my bestie I would.

4 Likes

The late Reg E. Cathey was a regular on Outcast — I forget if his character was still alive at the end of the most recent season but either way it’s too bad :frowning:

chief giles

3 Likes

That uncanny meta-moment;

When you’re watching the most recent episode of Lucifer, and Cain is bitching about how bored he is with immortality because he’s seen and done it all.

And Amenadiel replies;

O.O

11 Likes

Buh boigh buh!

Heathers is a TV show now?? F**k me gently with a chainsaw…

7 Likes

Geez, adonai, what’s your damage?

Spell your curse words out!

*lolz

I’d also heard that, but haven’t had a chance to check it out.

I’m kinda afraid to, TBH. I doubt it will measure up to the original…

:question:

9 Likes

How does this relate to Tews being a portmanteau?

1 Like

It doesn’t; that was a non sequitur.

Also I think its more of a pun than a portmanteau; as it’s not a combo of two different words.

1 Like

I thought puns only used real words.

1 Like

pun, n.

A joke exploiting the different meanings of a word or the fact that there are words with the same sound in different meanings.

Concise Oxford dictionary, 10th edition

4 Likes

Getting a little pedantic here, aren’t we?

5 Likes

Southland is amazing, because it has one of my fave actors in it - Regina King being a total badass.

5 Likes

I misunderstood; I thought you were talking about the pilot ep of Black Mirror not ST.

4 Likes

So, my daughter has been interested in this, primarily because Ohgr from Skinny Puppy shows up in it. How is it in general? I haven’t really heard much about it and whether it’s any fun. I just remember the original Teen Wolf movie from when I was kid and how it was kind of campy fun.

That reminds me, here is a completely delightful interview with Ohgr by a young fan of his, which is great, even if you don’t know his music if you got about 13 minutes to waste of a cute kid asking an old school rivet head questions:

4 Likes

I guess? I was honestly curious, lol. You’re the one that corrected me!

Thanks!

3 Likes

The first two or three seasons were fun, and then it started to get mind-numbingly ridiculous.

The only thing it has in common with the MJF film is the title and the main character/sidekick names, Scott and Stiles.

While both guys are still not part of the in-crowd at the start of the series, Scott is not a ‘trueborn’ werewolf who inadvertently gets ‘outted;’ instead he gets bitten, and the whole town they live in isn’t ‘in’ on the secret, even though it is plagued by all sorts of supernatural phenomena happening like all the time.

The presence and treatment of LGBTQ characters is pretty progressive, but the writing leaves a lot to be desired.

Like I said I got confused, and misunderstood what you were saying.

My bad.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed True Blood to start with. It was like the books set in a slightly alternate universe, but with the same feel, so it wasn’t like they were ruining the books even though it was different. But they amped up the awesomeness so quickly that after a couple of seasons it kind of became a victim of itself and wore thin. Once ascending to godhood and defeating an army of immortal supernatural beings is just another typical Tuesday afternoon, it’s hard to keep things interesting.

If you liked Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy, you’ll probably enjoy Shameless. It has quite a bit of character. And the characters develop quite a bit through the series.

One that I keep meaning to get back into is Halt and Catch Fire. I watched the first 2 seasons but then had to wait for the 3rd and now I’m 2 seasons behind.

3 Likes

See that’s the thing;

I had literally been reading the Southern Vampire novels for years before TB aired, and it took me about 6 months of overhearing ‘water-cooler buzz’ about the show to realize that the tv series was based on material I already knew and liked.

So I started watching it, and at first it was cool; the writing was never great, but there were enough interesting characters to keep me engaged. (Lafayette was a rare deviation from the novels which was actually a big improvement.)

Then, after the 2nd season it just went to complete shit, but I still hung in there, for the eye candy that is Joe Manganiello.

But eventually, even all the gratuitous nudity and violence in the world could not save it. Finally, I had enough and quit watching it before the last season aired.
(I quit on Dexter in similar fashion for the same reason; it just got too damn stupid to tolerate.)

I thoroughly enjoyed BrBa, but SoA was just okay.

(Props to Katey Sagal’s acting, though; I hated her character, Gemma, the way I should have hated Joffrey or Cersei, but don’t.)

My bestie (the same one who convinced me to watch one season of Once Upon a Time) has been telling me for years that I need to watch the US version; but I just haven’t gotten around to it.

Maybe it’s like police procedurals for me; a dramedy about indigent people perpetually struggling to get by just doesn’t hold much appeal for me as ‘entertainment’ because even in hyperbolic satire, it’s still too close to home.

5 Likes