Whatcha Watchin'?

This:

5 Likes

Anyone find a man like that, PLEASE SEND HIM TO ME!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Iā€™ve read everything Iain (M) Banks ever wrote and heā€™s one of my all-time favourite authors but Iā€™m in two minds about this. Thereā€™s so much depth in the Culture novels, Iā€™m really not sure if a TV show can do the universe justice in any meaningful way.

Plus, now every time I tell people to read Iain (M) Banks, theyā€™ll say ā€œoh, the guy who wrote that TV series? Yeh, it was okay, I guessā€¦ā€

God, Iā€™m such a hipsterā€¦ :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

I never got so much into the M stuff, but I know what you mean. Thereā€™s all these layers going on, and people misinterpreting things because of lack of cultural knowledge or whatever.

2 Likes

Why did the hipster drown?

He was into ice skating before it was cool.

9 Likes

Teen Wolf is terrible, hands down terrible, soap opera teen smaltz.
I love it so. :slight_smile:
Its on par with Supernatural.
Both with its ridiculous plots and bad guys.
And both with its ridiculously good looking men.

5 Likes

How about a comedy? Single mother raising her kids (Germaine, Aretha, Yoko, Mariah, and Wyatt). If you can find a copy, itā€™s hilarious. Subtitles strongly recommended.

3 Likes

Agreed, thatā€™s an apt comparison.

Maybe, it looks kinda interesting.

Really subtitles?

1 Like

Should I have said closed captioning? Is there a difference? (I really donā€™t know.)

I grew up hearing English accents, and they usually give me no problems, but the Wolverhampton accents and the fast-paced dialogue on this show defeat me. I miss at least half the lines. Some full episodes are available on YouTube, but YouTube CCā€™s are worse than useless. Episodes were available for streaming from CBC for a while, but no more, and I canā€™t convince the BBC that Iā€™m British (must be my accent).

2 Likes

Thought it was on channel 4.

2 Likes

Youā€™re right. I misread this line in the Wikipedia article: ā€œA pilot episode was developed by the BBC and broadcast on Channel 4 on 23 December 2013ā€.

Channel 4 also thinks its shows are too good for the colonials.

5 Likes

So you donā€™t get countdown?

3 Likes

One of the problems of watching British TV, much of which I love, is that almost all the pop culture references go right over my head, including that one. You may have been commiserating, you may have meant it ironically, I have no way of knowing. :grinning:

5 Likes

Presumably this:

Iā€™ve tried to watch it and failed, although the comedy version, 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, is fun.

4 Likes

Itā€™s not just Murrican ignorance or Gen X going deaf.

I can go back and watch OLD british TV and understand it fine.

As recording and broadcasting equipment has improved, I think directors and producers have decided that speaking clearly to be heard over the noise is no longer important. Decreased comprehension for the Anglophone diaspora is presumably an unintended side effect.

7 Likes

Is that where this comes from?

5 Likes

Benny Hill, AbFab and Fawlty Towers are still my jam.

Monty Python, thoughā€¦ it never did much for me, oddly.

4 Likes

Looks like, at least, a partial inspiration.

1 Like