Whatcha Watchin'?

But . . . but . . . but . . . not even the Dead Parrot Sketch?? :cry:

5 Likes

never woulda called that one :confused:

2 Likes

Meh.

Considering Iā€™m now an educated feminist, I know right?

Still, I watched it in syndication when I was 10 or 12 and laughed my ass off, so it still has nostalgic value for me.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Something something Life of Brian

3 Likes

Something something, History of the Worldā€¦

Ā­

7 Likes

So, while home dying of the plague, Netflix finally put it together that between Travellers, Timeless, Arrivalā€¦ that I might just like time-travel shows, so it suggested El Ministerio Del Teimpo.

Time travel, with a Spanish Bureaucracy twist. Plus, rather than the usual ā€œpeople from our era travelling in timeā€, it adds in the culture clash of making the agents from all the various time-periods.

Overall, itā€™s not bad. Not incredibly original (but who is with time-travel, really?) but so far, pretty good.

5 Likes

How about interwar German police mystery with Communist factions, dirty cops, and The Coming Menace of Fascism?

ā€œBabylon Berlinā€ is indeed that. And not bingeableā€”, just brainable.

4 Likes

Have you tried continuum?

Now this might be the right audience for this question ā€“ I would love to see the Cormoran Strike series the BBC has been doing (looks like theyā€™re nearly through all the published novels), but I canā€™t find a way to watch them on-line except for the BBC player, and not being in the UK that doesnā€™t help me.

Anyone got any ideas? Iā€™d rather find a legit streaming site, but since none of my regular places seem to be picking it upā€¦

(Hey Netflix. Get on this!)

ETA: Hm. May have found something. Iā€™ll report back if anyone is interested.

2 Likes

Ooh, definitely be interested!

2 Likes

Check this out then:

Thereā€™s this weird jerky motion to it, like theyā€™ve dropped every ninth frame or something, but the audio and the exposure seem to be good.

3 Likes

Interesting contrast!
About the only humor I recall not getting into was Firesign Theater. But then I wasnā€™t into drugs at school, so maybe thatā€™s why. Now EtOH, that was different.

3 Likes

Ethanol?

1 Like

Yup!

1 Like

1 Like

Thatā€™s a long way from ethanol.

1 Like

Indeed; thatā€™s my vice of choice.

2 Likes

You mentioned upthread that you felt the show is too heavy to be bingeable. Can you explain your criteria for bingeability? Iā€™m not arguing with you, Iā€™m just curious. Iā€™ve been watching an episode most evenings over the past week or so, and in a few cases two episodes back-to-back, which for me qualifies as binging. (I currently have two episodes to go, so no spoilers please :grin:).

When Iā€™m as invested in a show as I am in Babylon, I keep coming back to it rather than watching shows that interest me less, and with all the subplots, it helps to keep everything straight if I donā€™t leave long gaps between viewings. Iā€™m actually less likely to binge on light half-hour comedies, which would be like eating a whole box of chocolates at once.

I will say that Netflixā€™s The Keepers, about child abuse and murder by priests, was one show I had to steel myself to watch, and one that I canā€™t imagine binging, but I think the main difference is that it is a true story.

2 Likes

I just spent a couple of minutes searching for a comedy show that could be abbreviated EtOH. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes