Whatcha Watchin'?

3 Likes

I apologize. Ran into that abbreviation in some chemistry class somewhere.

Well we are about done with the first season of the new Battlestar Gallactica. It is not grabbing me. The plots are too singleminded – colonists vs. Cylons, episode after episode. I like some of the characters, especially Starbuck, Commander Adama, and President Roslin. However, I dislike Dr. Balter and Number 6 intensely, and he’s the only science-type on the show. His fumbling around with the “Cylon detector” just irritates me – it successfully finds a Cylon but then he lies about it; but later we’re led to believe the machine really doesn’t work. I can’t tell if he’s got a chip in his head making Number 6 appear, or if he’s just insane. Then he gets all spiritual with finding God or something. Finally, the plot thread with Sharon on Caprica really just seems to just go on and on, Sharon and what’s-his-name running from the Cylons, episode after episode, getting nowhere, IMO.

Also, too grim. So I doubt we’ll continue with it.

4 Likes

Have you tried using a vpn to look like you’re in the uk.

1 Like

I have. The Beeb seems pretty good at detecting those. I was pleased with what I found on YouTube – only S1E1 had that weird jerky effect, and I’ve now watched to the end of Season 2.

More Cormoran and Robin!

3 Likes

A lot of that stuff changes in season two, especially once the Pegasus storyline starts.

But no, it doesn’t ever really get less grim (unless you make it all the way to the finale).

4 Likes

fwiw, “grim” is kind of the point. it was made right after 9/11, so it was reflecting that.

5 Likes

That, and just the original premise of the original film and show, made back when “we are descended from aliens” wasn’t as fringe as it is now. Remember the fighter pilots’ pharaoh-inspired helmets and that the twelve colonies were named for the Greek astrological symbols.

5 Likes

I just mean too grim for me. I’m a wuss.

2 Likes

yeah, for sure. and mormonism. @kxkvi – yeah, it’s probably not your cup of tea, then.

6 Likes

Psst… We’ve had a request for spoilers for that one, can you blur for them?

3 Likes

For a show from the early 1980s??? That seems excessive. Surely after a time the window on spoilers closes.

6 Likes

Late '70s. 40 years ago. :laughing:

3 Likes

Yeah, I did ask if we could be careful about spoilers, but also it’s been a long time and there’s probably no Reasonable Expectation of Spoiler Privacy after this long.

3 Likes

Beowulf slays the dragon, but dies of his wounds.

11 Likes

You’re right! That’s no fun. They didn’t used to be able to detect VPNs.

4 Likes

The Greeks have ulterior motives for giving the Trojans a wooden horse.

10 Likes

the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys.

Started the 2d half of the first season of the Tick.

Good stupid fun.

7 Likes

“Rosebud” was the name of his sled.

5 Likes

Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.

In all of his movies.

9 Likes

Wow… That makes Unbreakable a completely different movie…

1 Like