Whatcha Watchin'?

We watched Arrival tonight. I highly enjoyed it. If you haven’t seen it, the basic premise is that aliens arrive, do nothing, and the humans freak out trying to figure out who the aliens are, what they want, and how to communicate with them.

I started out not liking it, because the scenes jump around in time and that’s jarring, but part way through you figure out why, and then the jumps make sense. And for such a deep, dark movie, it does have some comedic moments. I particular enjoyed Jeremy Renner (who plays a theoretical physicist) muttering “yeah… that just happened” as he watches something physically impossible happen right in front of him.

All in all, highly recommended.

10 Likes

And I continued through out the movie that way. It was okay but won’t get a rewatch in the Platt household.

4 Likes

I really need to get around to watching this show at some point.

3 Likes

I could have sworn it was YOU that told me about it!?

3 Likes

Just watched latest ep of Homeland. Overall still enjoying it. So intriguing, and loving the Russian interference storyline. Getting a bit tired of how they use Carrie’s ‘condition’ as a kind of circuit-breaker, though.

2 Likes

Yes, I thought the bipolar stuff was pretty much on point about the crap we have to put up with from people who have no understanding of it, but the time when Carrie is about to pull her kid out of school and the shit hit the fan and she had to leave her behind is when I thought accurate depiction went careening off the rails.

3 Likes

No, I’ve mentioned wanting to see it before, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. I have referenced the episode with Levar Burton, though, as I’ve seen clips of it.

2 Likes

The Expanse is still kicking it.

2 Likes

I can’t get over how the pirates treat Jim Holden as their leader. Alex was a pilot in the Martian navy, he has the most experience controlling and maintaining Martian warships, that would naturally put him on top. Naomi is assertive and brought her own loyal thug to the party, that would naturally put her on top. Holden is … the attractive white male.* Fucking Hollywood.

∗ i get the impression amos was written as big dumb and ugly even though wesley chatham is not

3 Likes

Been watching Aggretsuko on Netflix. Anyone who has worked in an office will be able to relate. It’s very cute and pretty funny!

5 Likes

Okay, I have a massive course deadline today, but I wound up watching all ten episodes in between banging my head on the keyboard, and it helped. It was especially timely because I just got strongly criticised for being too much of a team player the other day by someone I know from outside of work (meanwhile at work, I keep being told I need to be more of a team player).

What I learned was: work sucks and brings out the worst in us, no matter our age group, gender identity, or nationality. Seem legit.

7 Likes

don’t blame hollywood – that’s how the characters are in the book, as far as i know. Holden is from Earth, so he’s the one who would end up being the leader. i just think it’s because that’s how you get the reader involved – Earther like me, whooo!

1 Like

Finished this up last night. totally worth the time- 10 15 minute episode.

aggresuko-headbanging

6 Likes

Still relevant after almost fifty years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-5i1agG0Y&t=30s

2 Likes

I’ve taken a break from my Game of Thrones marathon leading up to Season Eight in order to do a Mega Marvel Movie Marathon leading up to Infinity War.

I have completed Phase One (up to The Avengers).

The “Being a superhero means abandoning my love interest (or potential love interest)” count is now up to five. Current score:

• Tony Stark: 0
    • Currently in a stable relationship with Pepper Potts
  • Bruce Banner: 3
    • Abandoned Betty Ross when running from General Ross
    • Potential love interest plot with Martina dropped after escaping Rocinha
    • Abandoned Betty again after the fight with Abomination
  • Thor Odinson: 1
    • Lost contact with Jane Foster after shattering the Bifrost (and then didn’t contact her when he came back to Earth)
  • Steve Rogers: 1
    • Abandoned Peggy Carter by crashing a plane into the Arctic and getting flash-frozen for seventy years
  • Natasha Romanoff: 0
    • No love interests shown yet
  • Clint Barton: 0
    • No love interests shown yet

Just from my memory of the next several films, I expect that cliché to play out another dozen times before I’m caught up.

4 Likes

My daughter told me about this. Will check it out.

2 Likes

Hmm? Hawkeye?

He has a wife and kids in Civil War.

5 Likes

I’m counting through Phase One (up to The Avengers). Were I counting the whole series, Tony’s, Bruce’s, and Thor’s counts would be higher.

When I finish Phase Two (after Ant-Man), I’ll update with Hawkeye’s family.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this recommendation. I’d never have checked it out otherwise but it’s definitely one of the best things I have seen on TV in a long time. Mrs Cynical and I are enjoying it muchly.

ETA: I’m totally buying this shirt and wearing it to work:

5 Likes

Catching up on my Gotham. Alfred has just presented Bruce with the progenitor of Batmobiles, and it’s a Ford Mustang.

Ugh. Product placement sucks.

2 Likes