Whatcha Watchin'?

True. Casting Keaton as the Vulture was great.

4 Likes

Oh, myself as well. I just wanted to cut out any movies which weren’t necessary to understand who the Avengers were, what their relationship was to reach other, and what’s going on with the whole Infinity Stone business.

GOTG2 doesn’t really make that cut. Having watched Homecoming last night… Eh. Not to say that I didn’t enjoy it (much better than GOTG2, and the best end-credits scene in a long while), but I don’t think it will make much of a difference to my experience watching Infinity War.

4 Likes

Is anyone else still watching Lucifer? The AVClub is taking forever to post the recap (and I’m pretty much perma-gray Kinja-wide since I mostly lurk.) And tonight’s episode threw a curveball or two…

:no_entry: MEGA spoilers ahead, of course…:no_entry:

…though not as much of a curveball as I expected. Since last week’s promo told us someone would die, the last person I thought it would be was Charlotte. She’s been worried about what would happen to her after death all season long; her dying, I thought, would have been far too obvious. The show was bound to pull one of its typical swerves and kill someone, anyone else. Dan, Ella, and Trixie were my most-likely suspects.

What suprised me more than anything was my reaction. I was actually sad and disappointed when Charlotte died. I did not expect that. I was sometimes annoyed at “Mommy Dearest’s” hamminess and Charlotte’s self-absorption. But over the course of the season, Tricia Helfer really sold her character’s development. Charlotte was becoming someone interesting to watch, and I’m suprised to be so sad that her journey came to its end tonight.

My predictions for next week’s season finale: Lucifer gets his game face back, and Chloe sees it. It’s about time, too.

2 Likes

With less and less enthusiasm. I think it peaked when Linda saw Luci’s “true face.” There have been good bits since then but it’s been mostly downhill.

The writers don’t know what they’re doing and for SOME INEXPLICABLE REASON they’re not bothering to use any of the source material they PAID FOR. Surely some lawyer could have told them if all they wanted was a cop show with the Devil in it they didn’t have to pay anybody. Even Lucifer the Rebellious Angel, cast down after the War in Heaven, has been public domain for at least three hundred years.

I’ll go watch this week’s episode :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I think Fox bought the comic rights for the same reason Disney bought the rights to Tim Powers’ On Stranger Tides in conjunction with the Pirates of the Caribbean films. They didn’t really want to do a full adaptation, but it legally covered their butts. (Though wasn’t “Mommy Dearest’s” storyline in Season 2 an adaptation? I forget.)

I also agree that this season’s storyline has been weaker than the first two (though I’ve missed a few episodes here and there.) The beginning of the season seemed to drag, and the end is racing to its conclusion. Chloe is being treated more like a prize and less like a person, again. But somehow, I’m still captivated enough to hang in there and see what happens next.

3 Likes

RE: supernatural cop shows, I’m also about two seasons behind in iZombie.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen any iZombie, but I hear it’s fun.

4 Likes

It is, certainly for the first couple of seasons. With Season 4, I think the writers are trying too hard to create a “serious” ongoing story line.

5 Likes

Same deal as Lucifer, it was a comic book that they bought and then didn’t really use.

I’ve fallen behind, and bingeing the show is really disorienting. It’s part of the premise that the heroine has a completely different personality every week, and about half of them are annoying people you don’t really want to hang out with.

5 Likes

I watched the first four episodes, and will probably watch more, but everything else seems to be ahead of it in the queue.

2 Likes

Perhaps I’m remembering it wrong, but it seems to me that in the first season or two the effect was just an overlay on her core personality, and she was aware of it, but now the new personalities take over completely. And the episodes in which she attempts an English or Canadian accent are cringe-inducing.

I’m still watching, though.

5 Likes

I am!

Haven’t seen last night’s ep, though; I had a date.

Will watch once I get home; chat you up afterward.

I’m still watching because Tom Ellis is a sheer delight and DB Woodside/Lesley Ann Brandt are beautiful… but narrative-wise, the show is pretty weak, and the female lead is so one-dimensional as a character, it’s damn near painful.

It was… I have to agree with tekno that this season is a mess; Rob Thomas just seems to be trying too damn hard to invoke a “dark & gritty tone” and it’s just not working. (Maybe there’s a reason neither of his other series never got farther than their 3rd seasons; and it pains me to say that - I loved Veronica Mars and Party Down.)

I adore Rose McIver; she’s a helluva an actress… but the inconsistent writing (with more plot holes than actual plot) does her no favors.

4 Likes

True on all counts! Tom Ellis is a sheer joy to watch (and not just because he’s good-looking.) But I think all the cast are decent actors and they work well with each other on-screen. Chloe though… it’s a big cast, but as one of the leads, you’d think she’d get developed more. And it’s been really irritating me how Pierce and Lucifer treat her more like a prize to be won than a person in herself. (Though the last two episodes help a little with that. Not enough, but some.)

I watch more for the supernatural-soap-opera parts than the mystery-of-the-week. And lately the mysteries are more a backdrop for whatever epiphany Lucifer needs to have in that particular episode. That wasn’t true last night… but saying more is spoilery.

3 Likes

If Chloe turns out to be the literal Second Coming of Jesus, I’ll forgive everything.

Otherwise, get over it everybody. They already did the “Luci & Chloe kiss and then change their minds” storyline. I sure hope they don’t think they can get away with that AGAIN. Not to mention Ella is way more fabulous anyway. Get a clue Lucifer!

3 Likes

Okay, I’ve seen the ep and here’s my reaction;

_

It’s about fucking time, already; sheesh.

Both of those two major events have been dragged out for freakin’ eons over the course of this whole series, so it was good to finally have some actual payoff… too bad poor Charlotte ended up being the catalyst for the chain reaction.

I think your prediction is spot on, that would be the natural, logical progression of the narrative after the events of this week.

OMFG, Right?!?!?

ETA:

Wait, whut?

When did that happen?

3 Likes

the kiss

S02E11

2 Likes

No pull back at the last second?

1 Like
[ more screenshots ]

kiss
kiss
kiss

3 Likes

Huh.

Not their first kiss, but the first time Lucifer actually admitted his feelings… talk about drawing shit out.

4 Likes

Finally watching Black Panther. Only five minutes of screen time for Sterling K. Brown? What?

ETA: Possible spoiler. Got to the end, and the appearance of Bucky has me wondering if he’s one of the deaths in Infinity War and now I’m crying all of a sudden.

4 Likes