Whatcha Watchin'?

I’m probably late to the party on this one but Atlanta is brilliant. Smartly written, well acted and directed, and genuinely funny.

From my (white, male, British) point of view, it feels like the perfect sweet spot between the original (UK) The Office and The Boondocks, which are two of my favourite shows ever.

I realise that’s a weird sweet spot to hit, by the way…

5 Likes

Its on my list, but my list is longer than the free time available to watch TV. What I’ve seen though was great.

1 Like

The Americans Season 6 Episode 8, midpoint.

Ahhhh! How could she do that?! I know most of the stuff she does is cold and cruel efficient, but this one hurts me as an artist.

3 Likes

Finally got to see Charade (thank you Kanopy). Love Audrey Hepburn in this. I always love it when she has to use her own wits to get out of things.

4 Likes

When she hid the canvas away I was all, “This is the sentimental mistake that will doom you”, but then she burned it and I was all, “That’s my old Elizabeth”, but then she declined to kill two different people in the same episode and I was all, “I don’t even know you anymore”.

1 Like

I assume you’ve seen Wait Until Dark?

3 Likes

Oh yeah :grinning:

3 Likes

Literally just caught Deadpool 2 tonight.

Make sure to catch the after credits sequence. Not much point in watching the white-on-black scroll though - no post-post credits scene.

This film has moments that will make you ask “What the actual fuck”? (dude behind me). Cameos, homages, and tributes a-plenty. The James Bond riff was pretty hilarious. Fight choreography was passable; the real spectacle is watching disaster unfold around our unfortunate heroes as the film hurtled towards a conclusion.

6 Likes

Following this thread, I’m all like, why is everything spoilered out?, but then I’m like I’m never going to watch any of these shows anyway, but unspoilering everything is more trouble than it’s worth. Then you’re like spoiler spoiler spoiler and I’m like I see your spoilers and I raise you some more spoilers.

11 Likes

Dude! Too soon! No one’s watched Deadpool 2 yet!

9 Likes

Made you look! :stuck_out_tongue:

I blur things because I know many people don’t like spoilers. There are few shows where I care much, but The Americans is one. As it nears its end, I have no idea what is going to happen to any of the major characters, and I don’t want to know, because the show is so good at surprising me.

I usually skim over comments on shows I have no interest in, but I can never resist a blur.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Nope. Not clicking on that.

4 Likes

You said you couldn’t resist a blur, so I posted this:

8 Likes

Not what I expected. I fear I have wronged you in my mind. :wink:

Incidentally, in the past a blurred link used to open automatically when clicked, but in your post the link just clears, then blurs again when clicked on, never going anywhere. Is this a change to Discourse?

Test:

edit: Yep. Same problem.

5 Likes

Am I glad that that link doesn’t go anywhere for me?

It just reblurs the spoiler.

ETA: Discourse says I shouldn’t talk to you anymore:

Consider replying to more people
You’ve already replied 3 times to @teknocholer in this particular topic.
Have you considered replying to other people in the discussion, too? A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives.
If you’d like to continue your conversation with this particular user at length, send them a personal message.

8 Likes

Your loss.

I just found a way around it. Right click and Open Link in New Tab. Works blurred or unblurred.

It’s telling me that too. Apparently you’re not a good role model. I reject this narrow-minded algorithm and will reply to whom I choose.

12 Likes

Yeah you replyed to the same guy 3 times in a 1200 odd post thread shame on you.

10 Likes

It’s harassment, I say!

9 Likes

Two thoughts:

A) Ryan Reynolds and the people who made Deadpool are some fucking silly-ass fools for this:

And 2) I’m wondering how many dirty looks I’m gonna get for letting my quite mentally mature 13 year old go see DP2 with me. (I own the first movie, and it’s one of her favs.)

11 Likes