Whatcha Watchin'?

Finished the series over the weekend; you were right. For once, I didn’t want to stab Finn Jones every time he opened his mouth, which is a nice change.

The final fight move was pretty cool, too.

As for the rest of this season… meh.

At this point, I’d much rather see Heroes for Hire or even better, Daughters of the Dragon over LC3.

6 Likes

It seemed like they were being careful not to lose people. That’s unfortunate because the only thing they fucked up with LC1 was the disparity in the casting for the villains, made worse by giving Ali more love than his character deserved, making the transition more jarring.

At least, that’s me doing a fanboi excuse.

6 Likes

Netflix gave Michelle Wolf a ahow, called The Break with Michelle Wolf!

Diving in…

Premeire was a little dry, but by episode four, it appears to be picking up steam. There’s a fake SNL-style commercial every episode, and Yogurt for Men was funny. Plus, Hannibal Burress.

6 Likes

Just finished series 1. Best damn comedy I’ve seen in a long time.

11 Likes

I loved it. Very sweet, for lack of a better term. I didn’t know there were more seasons than just the first one though.

I didn’t recognize Mackenzie Crook from The Office as one of the stars, but now it totally makes sense.

5 Likes

Certainly the most understated comedy I’ve seen. The creators really trusted the audience to get it. Season 2 is just as good.

:joy: IMDb now says there is a third season. Will it come to Netflix Canada? Gottagonowbye.

5 Likes

Mahershala Ali as Cottonmouth was a MUCH more compelling and believable villain than whatever dude’s name is who played Diamondback; that’s another hamfisted example of utterly terrible acting that made me want to start shiving muthafuckas in the carotid.

Sadly, aside from Simone Missick as Misty Knight, all the protagonists in LC are far less interesting than the antagonists, and that’s highly problematic for a superhero series.

3 Likes

also on amazon prime, if you swing that way.

3 Likes

OK finally caught up with The Santa Clarita Diet. Still worth it I guess :+1:

Some of these other shows have really lowered my expectations.

6 Likes

SCD was good for two seasons, IMHO. I’m just not sure where they can take season three. But I’ll give the first few episodes a chance.

4 Likes

I think one of my favorite things in the Expanse is the Belter Creole.

It sounds real.

3 Likes

it’s definitely believable, and just as hard to follow as creole sometimes. i also like the belter hand signs, because of course in space you’d develop complex hand signals to communicate things.

3 Likes

I’ve gone back and re-read the books up to this point in the series and I honestly think the series is better in many respects.

1 Like

i haven’t read the books, but my husband has. he is really liking the series, too – it’s sort of a Game of Thrones situation, i think, where the series is forced to streamline some things, and also the excellent actors bringing nuance to certain characters that he didn’t necessarily get the same feel from on the printed page.

4 Likes

My daughter and I are watching it. It’s still finding its sea legs but it’s a pretty good start and shows promise.

3 Likes

If only all the geniuses who used to work at The Daily Show were still there …

6 Likes

I’ve been binging Black Lightning. Like Spongebob, it’s layered. It’s definitely going for a standard middle class situation sensibility without being very honest at all about their set design. It’s a deeply-written show with a strange amount of false cleanliness.

5 Likes

Better than I was expecting. Kinda like Sense8 but with only two “special people.”

8 Likes

Hannah Gadsby’s comedy special, Nanette, on Netflix. More than just comedy… and I’m tugging at my socks.

3 Likes

As a painter with chronic depression/mild bipolar, I appreciated the Van Gogh history lesson immensely.

7 Likes