Whatcha Watchin'?

Who is the mole? EVERYBODY IS THE MOLE!!!1!

i suspect watching this would make @wanderfound very angry

7 Likes

(cued to most interesting bit)

The Australian left has been trying to close Pine Gap for nearly fifty years.

This is what happened when we got close to it:

5 Likes
4 Likes

Iā€™d certainly recommend itā€¦ scary, but with a good, solid story to back it up.

Iā€™ve heard good things about Sabrina, too.

5 Likes

So, I wrapped up season 2 of Patriot, which got so much grimmer as it progressed. Only 8 episodes, so Iā€™m assuming it reached its inevitable conclusion.

Itā€™'s hard to describe. The best I can do is if you took a Tom Clancy novel, but the script is re-written by the Cohen Brothers, directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and produced by Wes Anderson. Yet itā€™s still uniquely itā€™s own product.

I hope for future endeavors by the team that put it together. Stephen Conrad created it, but heā€™s also the guy who wrote Wonder (ugh - too saccharine for me) and the remake of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Iā€™m still amazed by the tapestry of it. Patriarchal society and its resulting misogyny, the difficult struggles between fathers and sons, and the absurdity of capitalism and its relationship to war, death, and depression. Itā€™s all so intertwined, it would take a research paper to cover it all.

3 Likes

I watched the first 2 eps last night, and the read the oddly hostile reviews on AV Club; I guess Im alone in being glad that the series is not trying to be a faithful adaptation on the beloved novel.

Frankly, Iā€™m of the mind that while Jacksonā€™s book is a great psychological horror story, it just doesnā€™t translate well to the medium of tv (or film, if one wants to talk about that horrid 1999 film version.)

6 Likes

After Breaking Bad this is how itā€™s done?

8 Likes

No, one does not. 1963 or go home.

4 Likes

Surely thereā€™s been grim stuff before Breaking Bad or Sopranos, despite graphic material?

4 Likes

Stuff where the audience is expected to cheer for the bad guy, though?

2 Likes

I was thinking specifically ā€œstarts out comedy with ā€˜wacky violence,ā€™ ends up horrorshow with no funny at allā€

I guess there are arguably ā€œjokesā€ in the later seasons of BB, but by then the audience is so traumatized it doesnā€™t really work as comedy any more, itā€™s just another kind of pain

7 Likes

Plenty of movies, but TVā€™s always been tamer until cable started making series, right?

5 Likes

With Patriot, itā€™s more a matter of laying bare the injustices of the world. Itā€™s only mildly graphic, has some great inside jokes, but there are moments that are raw and honest, and this conflict is why I see it as becoming more grim.

Update: I almost forgot about the second seasonā€™s urinal scene among the Luxenbourg male Tough Cool Guys in the police department. Pretty funny at the Tough Cool Guys expense, but yes, graphic.

2 Likes

I just finished watching the latest Doctor Who (Demons of the Punjab) for the second time in two nights. Having had two badass grandmothers, I really get a kick out of seeing fictionalised ones.

And though it might sound weird for Who, I really liked how the science fiction aspect was nearly incidental for this one. The Doctor and her friends have to really think their way through what is inherently a very emotional situation for all of them.

Also, I loved how, just this once, the ā€œdonā€™t alter your own historyā€ thing came up and everyone managed it, instead of it being a predictable plot point.

8 Likes

I donā€™t have time, myself ATM:

7 Likes

Lots of these are easily available online, having mostly fallen into the public domain.

2 Likes

Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff in True Detective season 3 on January 13.

Say what you will, but I liked season 2. Looking forward to this, too.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know, I never got the sense that the audience was meant to cheer for the bad guy with either the Sopranos or Breaking Badā€¦ I know people did, even so. Iā€™m fairly certain that Gilligan said that your not supposed to identify with WW.

6 Likes

This weekā€™s episode of The Gifted (2E07) is really good, probably the best X-Men adaptation Iā€™ve ever seen

3 Likes

i remember starting out identifying with WW, because he was in a terrible situation and he wanted to make sure his family was ok. but by the end of the series, he and his life had become a slow-motion train wreck and you just knew the outcome HAD to be awful for everyone involved ā€“ you just couldnā€™t tear your eyes off it while it happened.

8 Likes