Whatchya Workin' On, O Creatives?

I picked up a Monome Teletype for my modular synth. It’s basically a small computer with its own display and USB port for a keyboard; it has an old-school interpreted scripting language with Polish notation, and commands can be entered live or run when a trigger input is received or a “metronome” timer counts down. It also has a 4x64 “pattern” memory for tracker-style sequencing or other data storage, and a subset of LOGO which can crawl the turtle over the table to read or write from it.

An example which should sync the “metronome” to incoming clock pulses, adding a swung grace note 1/4 of the time, converting to a full triplet once every 6 times:

1:
M DIV LAST 1        // set metronome to the time since last trigger

M:
TR.TIME 1 DIV M 6         // set pulse length to 1/6 duty cycle
TR.P 1                    // pulse
PROB 75: BREAK            // 75% chance of no swing
DEL MUL 2 DIV M 3: TR.P 1 // pulse again in 2/3 of metro time
SKIP 6: BREAK             // 5 times in a row, don't do a full triplet
DEL DIV M 3: TR.P 1       // pulse again in 1/3 of metro time

So far (since getting it Monday evening) I’ve written a Euclidean rhythm script which allows the number of fills, pattern length and rotation to be edited on the fly, and modified someone else’s note quantizer code (correcting pitch and remapping notes to a scale/chord of one’s choosing) to work across multiple octaves.

I’ve also used some custom rhythmic and pitch algos in a recorded song that’ll be on my next album, and expect to keep doing that for more songs (if not, I just spent a lot of money for a cool toy :thinking:)

To me this kind of old-school (live) coding has a lot more appeal than, say Max or Reaktor or writing VST plugins in C++ (which I’ve done) or whatever. It looks cryptic, but was easy to learn (at least, for an experienced programmer and electronic musician…) and there’s no such thing as runtime errors (DIV X 0 is 0, deal with it :dark_sunglasses: ) and it’s focused entirely on note-related events.

7 Likes

That is the most cyberpunk thing I’ve read in the last year, possibly since Snow Crash. I’m picturing people training AI agent turtles to crawl through VR databases and fetch records rather than doing SQL queries. :sunglasses:

10 Likes

I want to replace all the standard vr visualizations with turtles. lots and lots of turtles.

4 Likes

Turtles all the way down?

10 Likes

Now I’m picturing a rack of terrariums with actual turtles wearing VR goggles.

8 Likes

Initial stages of writing an investigative journalism piece.

HP has some major problems with quality controp and fraudsters infiltrating their factory. Just how deep does the rabbit hole go? Cloned pages that lead to semi legit businesses doong shady remotr-access work and much more, coming up on the ElsewhereCafe later this month.

8 Likes

The found-objects piece I’m working on:

11 Likes

My “art” is stuff that’s pleasant to look at. No other meaning than that. Oh, and in the case of the candle holders, they’re pleasant to look at and they have a practical function.

5 Likes

I dunno why, but that brings back memories of feelings from childhood on Valentine’s Day, Christmas, Easter, and 4th of July from the time period when I was somewhere in the age-range of 4-8. Happy times. :smiley:

4 Likes

My happy times, too. <3

It’s about two-thirds complete. I’m not like Dali, I don’t have a mustache to bring me my ideas, lol. I gotta use instinct.

(PS: I love your avatar; original Fisher Price “Little People” bring back great memories, too.)

3 Likes

It’s finished.

7 Likes

A couple of recordings in between album releases. It’s a coincidence that they’re both named after birds – the first was an intentional imitation of a mourning dove call, but the second was inspired more by shakuhachi solos (of which one of the most famous is “Cranes In Their Nest”).

3 Likes

From a number of years ago, a billboard sign for my train layout (yet to be built). The structure is from a nice kit, but I 'shopped the Magritte painting into an advertisement in Paint Shop Pro.

12 Likes

My second album as Starthief. Dark drones, dark rhythms.

2 Likes

I made this.

It’s a waist pack to wear while mountain biking. Should hold tools and a camera rig comfortably.

14 Likes

Not very creative, but working on an updated estimate of Civil War deaths in Ukraine, 1917 to 1921. Terror is the hard part…

7 Likes

just came up with this cable management solution for earbuds.
it’s not perfect, but it is quick and cheap.
earbud%20cork%201
earbud%20cork%203
earbud%20cork%202

12 Likes

My basement studio/office is entering version 4. Loads more to do, but it currently looks like this:

I need to build a new 28u rackmount to (finally) consolidate most of my gear.

16 Likes

Cool! I wish I could get that organized.

9 Likes

I just wrote this:

13 Likes