Whatchya Workin' On, O Creatives?

D’oh! Sorry, I thought you were replying direct to me.

I’d still go with roughing shit out in thumbnails, though.

The second thing is knowing when to stop. Commercial work is great for getting you to stop “improving” art. When you reach the deadline the art goes out the door, ready or not, or you lose the commission and the client. If you’re doing stuff for yourself, it’s hard to know when to stop twiddling with a picture, or what constitutes pointless twiddling.

Try giving yourself a set time to do the picture. When you reach that time, the job’s over, turn the page, start a new pic, using what you learned from the previous pic. If it took you several tries to get that expression right, this time try to get it in one. Throw away your erasers and just live with the mistakes, or work around them.

10 Likes

The Izod pair came out looking like an unpleated kilt.

3 Likes

I’ll need a few years, possibly a decade, at the gym before I could squeeze into those.

:smile:

:neutral_face:

:sob:

5 Likes

You have a pair of shorts or jeans/pants you want me to convert?

That doesn’t…er…read very well, but I don’t know how to fix it.

3 Likes

Hah! Thanks. But I’m good for now.

2 Likes

I like your balloon pokemon dude. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

There’s a small market for it, but I’m doing it because I love it rather than trying to sell anything.

6 Likes

Hard to tell, but it looks to me like something is connecting to a point on the inside or other side or is unintentionally overlapped in a way that messes up the faces (not the right number of vertexes). It’s possible that adding a vertex or cutting a face might fix it, but I don’t know. I found 3-D modeling very difficult because things like that kept happening and weren’t easy to fix, although other people seem to have no trouble with it.

For gesture, one of the ways I was taught was to practice by tracing pictures (photos and/or comics) not entirely but just a few key pose points: approximate spine line (as a curve), ellipses for shoulders, elbows, and wrists, hips, knees, and ankles. Then taking the picture away, with just that spine line and those 6 ellipses (possibly moving a couple to alter the arms/legs, stretching or condensing), flesh out the figure, being careful about balance and that spine curve. It helped me improve somewhat at least.

I’m no good at expressions, so I sought out someone who was and they suggested I practice using something that exaggerates expression, like anime or caricatures, and once I get a feel for that, tone down the exaggeration to get more natural but still expressive expressions. I haven’t put in the time to test that suggestion yet.

Heh. That started as a scrap I was just going to throw out (circles I drew to practice expressions). When I got home and went to throw out my scraps I saw a character in it and I think I ended up doing more with that than any of the things I was planning to save that day and work more on. :smile:

5 Likes

I need to have a chat with 10 year-old me.

4 Likes

The 29 waist 36 inseam is what gets me. Those are pants for someone 6’6" and 150 pounds.

6 Likes

I was also born in '74 and I moved around a lot between S’field and Ann Arbor, but when I was in Southfield, it was 12 and Greenfield. If you went to Vandenberg or Thompson, then we went to school together. Moved to TN before high school, tho.

2 Likes

She is ten years older than you, so you probably didn’t go to school together.

4 Likes

oh, the book is from '74, not her. got it.

5 Likes

Trying to get a decent job.

8 Likes

I really want to see these on a model. I think they’d look great with a shirt from Johnny Was.

https://www.johnnywas.com/clothing/tops.html

3 Likes

Uh yeah…and I went to school in Detroit, which is where I lived. Stellwagen, Hamilton, then Finney.

And Northland Mall is at Nine Mile and Greenfield.

4 Likes

I’d model them myself, but I’ve lost weight, so they might look kinda peculiar. Except for the Levi’s skirt, they all fit like hip-huggers on me. The London jeans were those that were tailored at the waist, then they had the wide legs narrowing down to the ankles from the knees. But I’ll see what I can do.

3 Likes

Uh, yeah.

3 Likes

Are you kidding? I’m 5’8", 115-120 lbs, and the waistline is tight on me. Plus, they have no give for hips of any sort. And they’re 100 percent cotton, so no real “give” in them, either.

5 Likes

When I weighed 150 pounds my waist was about 29". That was way too thin.

I’m not sure who buys pants with 36" or 38" inseams. They would have to be nearly seven feet tall or else have disproportionately long legs. I suspect that they just buy outsized pants and roll the legs up.

3 Likes