Whatchya Workin' On, O Creatives?

You don’t remember platforms and bellbottoms?

I knew a lady with a short body but she had a 38" inseam. She didn’t look weird, either.

5 Likes

That stuff was all a little before my time.

I’m 6’4" but have a 34" inseam. My legs might be a little short for my height though. I can’t find any data showing average inseam versus height.

I had a human factors database that was really insightful, but it was for a project that I was working on several years ago, and I’m not sure I was supposed to have it anyway.

5 Likes

We’re probably talking old school shrink-to-fit Levi’s 501 sizes. From 1986 until probably 1995 I wore my 501s in a 30 waist and 38 inseam. I was 6’2" and a fairly scrawny 140 pounds. The inseam measurement on shrink-to-fit Levi’s is numerically ridiculously higher than the actual measurement after washing.

@Lucy_Gothro I covet those bellbottoms hard. They’re too small for me, alas, but they remind me to look around the internet to find a vintage pair. I’ve been trying to find Levi’s bellbottoms since I outgrew an old pair of my sister’s Movin’ On bells back in '84. Far as I could tell, Cliff Burton and I were the only guys who wanted to keep bellbottom jeans alive for men!

9 Likes

Shrink to fit Levis that start as 38 inseam could easily loose 3-5 inches washed. Ditto for unsanforized denim.

5 Likes

These aren’t 501s. SF 207 is what is on the inner tag. And they’re a skirt now, anyhow.

5 Likes

I would rock bellbottoms any day. Now I’m thinking about going with a demi style utilikiltish look.

2 Likes

Might be a better idea to fiddle while Rome burns.

1 Like

right, I was trying to say my house was at 12. anyhow, I misread your original post. NVM

5 Likes

Their waists are equally oversized. I can’t wear size 32 jeans without a belt. There’s no way I’m that skinny in real life. It’s more like vanity sizing for guys who had a 32" waist in college but are now closer to 38".

4 Likes

Women’s sizes are messed up as well; a 5 is too big for me now. But I have clothes from decades ago (big news!) that also say 5 or “S”, and they fit.

I haven’t really changed much, other than being pregnant almost twenty-nine years ago (this has to do with creation, so I’m not off-topic, right?).

6 Likes

Answering trivia for another creative who does a pub quiz. Who knew Don Cheadle had such a varied career?

6 Likes

Sometime around 20 years ago (maybe more), some of the Levi’s stores would actually custom-tailor your Levi’s to your specification. I mean, there were certainly limitations to what they would do, but you’d go to their store (I did this in the one in Horton Plaza in downtown San Diego) and climb up on the little platform and they’d take your measurements. And you’d choose from several different weights and colors of denim, choose button fly or zip fly, choose your fabric finish (stonewash, unwashed, etc.), and even degree of pant flare, from pegged skinny-legs through straight-leg, boot cut, and a flare that was as close as they’d come to bellbottom in the 90s. I had two pairs made, but like a dummy, I only had one pair made with flared legs. And I wore them to death. I eventually retired them when the crotch blew out, but I kept them to one day use as a template, so I could make myself a new set. (By the time I wore them out, the Levi’s stores had stopped doing this kind of quasi-bespoke service.) I’d have to drop a bunch of pounds to fit in 'em anymore, alas. But I still have 'em. They were by far the coolest and most comfortable jeans I’ve ever owned.

8 Likes

Not even Don Cheadle.

4 Likes

True story: I worked at a Levi’s store for one summer. I even had a song written for me by my co-workers (sung to the time of Her Name is Luka)

Her name is Suzanne
She works at the Levi’s store

Don’t really remember the rest of that.

I still like Levi’s jeans and think their great but they do a crap job of managing their brand.

6 Likes

Slight edit to the thread title - my inner pedant just came out to play. “O” and “oh” are two different words. The former is the vocative case particle, which is pretty much archaic, but called for here.

3 Likes

My outer petty person decided to edit your edit. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Then I changed it back because I wasn’t sure if anyone would get the joke and the last thing I need today is frustrated sighing and biting back some very cutting remarks. :vulcan:

2 Likes

Not from me - my own inner pedant amuses me, especially when it pounds on the door demanding to be let out. :wink:

1 Like

Oooooo…

3 Likes

Oo aye?

2 Likes

I saw him in an old Night Court re-run recently. I remember seeing that episode back when I was in high school, too, but didn’t remember him being in it. I would’ve said Boogie Nights was the first time I saw him. Going through his IMDB, he was in several other things I saw before I “knew” him. Great actor.

5 Likes