Whatchya Workin' On, O Creatives?

New album release. Spooky dark drone ambient.

Commentary and patch notes are here

drew this for my friendā€™s birthday

13 Likes

Been finally coming to grips with using Reaper for music instead of bashing my rocks & sticks together with Audacity and LMMS. Holy crap. Itā€™s incredibly deep and not the most intuitive, but so damned powerful. Iā€™ve taken a few vocals a friend did and made completely different songs out of them in a handful of hours, rather than days.

Meeting up with my old singer to throw a couple of albums at him to record, so thatā€™s my next year or two sorted for projects :sunglasses:

8 Likes

We decided to take this weird little feature in our house and put up a fake cage with monster eyes and teeth behind it.

Painting up on the ladder is really hard on my neck though so it will probably take longer than I expected.

13 Likes

Will it have bars?

5 Likes

Yes, right now weā€™re talking about using half round dowels. And just wider flat pieces for a frame.

And I still need some hobby paints to try to get an aged metal look.

Iā€™ve also ordered a pack of screw and bolt heads I might use. I think they are intended for scrapbooking. Iā€™ll probably use any leftovers in my jewelry pieces.

12 Likes

Keep us updated!

What a cool idea.

5 Likes

Is that paint glow-in-the-dark?

2 Likes

Right now Iā€™m just using a flat white ceiling paint but weā€™ve kicked around the idea of going back over it with glow in the dark or black light reactivate paint.

Iā€™ve always found it hard to get glow in the dark or black light reactivate paint opaque so Iā€™m more likely to layer it.

Final decision has yet to be made. If we do itā€™ll probably just be a thin layer of acrylic and I might get some help so I donā€™t have to go over the whole thing again by myself.

7 Likes

This is so cute!!! Love it.

5 Likes

Ok I think Iā€™m done painting faces.

8 Likes

coming-to-america-arsenio-yells

Scary! I love it!

6 Likes

My friend, who has been helping so much with painting and decorating our new place, was getting rid of a couple of decorative mirrors.

She had painted on octopus tentacles but the paint was too thick to paint over.

I decided to use molding paste to build up the texture and dimensionality before I repaint them. Itā€™s my first time really working with molding paste.

I forgot to take a picture before starting but here is a comparison shot of one well in progress vs one where Iā€™ve just started on the bubbles.

8 Likes

w/r/t my drawing I shared upthread, I recently posted a primer on drawing fundamentals at TOP that was fairly well-received.

6 Likes

4 Likes

I wish freehand drawing was universally applicable. I spent 8 months in art class trying to master the fundamentals of freehand drawing. I got a D minus when the principal finally compelled my art teacher to let me do photography for the last two weeks.

8 Likes

Iā€™ll try the first exercise. Itā€™s been recommended to me before.

The rest still seems incredibly intimidating. Iā€™d love to get to the point where I can sketch with a pencil comfortably, but as soon as people start mentioning charcoal etc it starts to get scary.

5 Likes

aww! well, charcoal is just a slightly different drawing tool. I suppose you could lay down a grey tone in pencil but it would take forever compared to 5 seconds with the broad-edge of the charcoal. you could totally use pencil for the drawing and erasing, though.
or you could buy grey paper and pencil-in the darks, but youā€™d need a white chalk pastel or contĆ© crayon to put the highlights in, which is like the white version of charcoal anyway. all three are user-friendly and erasable, though, and much easier to push around on the paper to get the density just right, compared to pencil.

2 Likes

Every journey begins with the first step.
As I pointed out at ā€œthe other placeā€, Betty Edwardsā€™ book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is essential in understanding the way a Western/realism artist sees what she draws, reducing 3D to a 2D plane, and abandoning childhoodā€™s visually symbolic shorthand to actually take the time to look at whatā€™s in front of you.

For lack of a better analogy, the process is going to be a struggle at first, like viewing a Magic Eye poster, but once it ā€œclicksā€, the learning process will rapidly improve for a short time until you reach a plateau point. After that, improvement is incremental, but by then, youā€™re good enough not to worry so much about it.

6 Likes

like viewing a Magic Eye poster, but once it ā€œclicksā€,

NOOOOOO!!! !!! !!!

I frakking hate the Magic Headache Posters.

ā€œIt hurts.ā€

ā€œYouā€™re just not looking at it right, keep trying.ā€

ā€œIt hurts moreā€¦ā€

ā€œKeep tryingā€

ā€œIt keeps hurting moreā€

ā€œYou just need to ā€¦ā€

I have forgotten the advice but it never worked and always hurt.

6 Likes